Mike Rhoades - new head VCU Basketball coach - "ALL RHOADES LEAD HOME"

As much as we want Mike here soon, we should tell him take all the time he needs with his players at Rice. We know how important that is.

The press conference is tomorrow so it's possible that he could still do that if he hasn't already.

As I have said on several threads, these things rarely happen in the speed that they appear to.
LSU talking to wee willy and VCU talking to MR has probably been going on for a couple of weeks. Rice just finished up last night. Coincidence?
Wade has been waiting to tell everyone he accepted the offer for a while. This wasn't spur of the moment.

I kind of liked Wade because I related to him as the dorky white guy that wasn't very good at basketball but knew a lot about it.

This is all pure speculation of course, but I wonder if a separation of mentality between him and the players caught up with him. They all knew for a fact that he never even played high school basketball, yet he would BERATE them for not playing basketball the way they're "supposed to." How would you feel about your boss screaming at you for not doing things the right way, when he's never done it himself?

I'm not saying Will Wade didn't know his stuff, but he clearly couldn't relate to them. As Ed Nixon said on his Facebook comments today, "Will is...unique." (in that he's weird and awkward). So I'm not too surprised to see that players don't seem too upset. I'm not expecting ALL of the recruits and current players to stay, but there's no way any of them have the emotional connection to Wade as previous ones did with Shaka.

Capel also supposedly walked out the door from VCU with a strained relationship with his players. Barely intereacted with them towards the end of the last season he was here. And he was a former player. I think not being a player may add to the strain, but my guess is this was more about personality and demeanor. Look at how Will Wade interacted with Hamdy during games. Can you imagine what it was probably like in a closed door practice?

Last edited:
It still doesn't add up with Ed saying he offered Will Wade everything he requested in contract negotiations. If tensions were that bad, and I believe they were based on Jordan Riullano's tweets/retweets and other things mentioned, then why offer Coach Wade everything he requested. Add to that, Coach Wade bolts for $12 million over 6 years, which VCU claims they matched. Lots of missing pieces to this puzzle. If the mothership is about to blow up, you just don't offer the caption of the ship everything he requested.
I told you guys we didn't match LSU. Nobody believes me.

I told you guys we didn't match LSU. Nobody believes me.
Well, because it doesn't make any sense and is inconsistent with what Ed has said publicly. Not that I am saying you're wrong, but at best the first hand info from the school and your (second or third hand) info seem incompatible. If LSU offered $2MM a year and we wanted him, we would have matched it, which is precisely what Ed said he did.

But what do I know? Nothing

I may have missed this trying to keep up with the 4+ new threads we have today, but is there any confirmation that Joey is coming with Rhoades? Or are we just assuming that he comes back?
Not that I have seen but it makes too much sense not to be the case. Plus, the connection to Sean.

I would like to break from the action for a moment to say thank you to the moderators that have given us this great forum and freedom to come to one place where we can share our frustrations, glee, anger and all other thoughts and feelings with other Ram fans about the state of VCU basketball. Truly cathartic.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

I may have missed this trying to keep up with the 4+ new threads we have today, but is there any confirmation that Joey is coming with Rhoades? Or are we just assuming that he comes back?
Sure hope he does. I think Mike takes care of him. He took care of Mike. Would be great to have a PG mind and a great ambassador/recruiter back in the fold. Kid knows the ropes. He's had 5 years to develop. As a potential recruit, when a FF PG shows up at your door, you don't slam it, and as an incoming recruit who would be better to show you the ropes than a FF PG?

It still doesn't add up with Ed saying he offered Will Wade everything he requested in contract negotiations. If tensions were that bad, and I believe they were based on Jordan Riullano's tweets/retweets and other things mentioned, then why offer Coach Wade everything he requested. Add to that, Coach Wade bolts for $12 million over 6 years, which VCU claims they matched. Lots of missing pieces to this puzzle. If the mothership is about to blow up, you just don't offer the caption of the ship everything he requested.

Public relations.

Ed needs to make it look like it was something that WW did that they couldn't match; otherwise the truth comes out and that looks even worse. Put yourself in his shoes: which one is more embarrassing? Saying you couldn't match another school's offer or admitting you wanted him to move along due to the tensions in the program.

I'll take A for "saying you couldn't match another offer" for 1,000, Alex.

Back