NCAA Transfer & NIL Policies

At some point it all falls apart - as well it should. Universities should be focused on educating for our collective future. The money spent on sports is so grossly out of portion to true, compelling priorities. But it will be a while before it falls apart I would guess.
I am fully in favor of players being free to earn as much as they possibly can, and I also wholeheartedly agree with this. There's no reason whatsoever schools should be entangled with athletics at this level. So long as they are, I'm in. When they aren't any longer, I'm out and on to the Richmond Rams pro basketball team.

So what exactly could/would happen if VCU had some balls, stomped their foot down and said they weren't gonna play these reindeer games, we're offering a good competitive stipend equal among all players, but beyond that if you wanna proclaim yourself an NBA player and MAKE BANK, go iso a spot somewhere else? What.. would we end up cheering on a bunch of local/semi-local 2star/3star under-recruited players with some talent, in need of development, but excited to play for a good d1 program.. EXCITED ABOUT FURTHERING THEIR EDUCATION (!) PAID FOR ALONG WITH ROOM AND BOARD AND NOT GRADUATING 150,000+ IN DEBT? Instead of primadonnas? Sounds like what VCU used to be, actually. It'd be cool to see us making a mark instead of tagging along most likely never capable of catching up with these money big time baggers out there.
I would hope that at some point you could see this happen, maybe in football. How many universities are going to wake up one day and say "hey, how are we ever going to compete against the Alabama's, Georgia's, Michigan's and Clemson's of the world?" Maybe there will be separate organization one day that will get back to the basics, I mean, probably not, but one could hope for an organization that could level the playing field so to speak. Too much greed, I guess.

At some point, this font of fan-provided NIL is going to run dry for all except the biggest of the big hitters. Right now, it's new, fresh, and exciting to be able to pool money and go after players. Dayton's fans are a prime example of this short-term thinking. It won't take long for fatigue (and financial impact) to set in, particularly if on court results don't meet the expectation of the "investors".

I am fortunate enough to have disposable income to direct towards various and sundry diversions. I probably could've been enticed to donate via the traditional athletic department route as in years past, but I am 100% opposed to the idea of handing my cash over carte blanche so that a random mercenary player can be handed a bag to blow on a luxurious lifestyle in exchange for suiting up for my alma mater (to which he has zero emotional connection/investment) for a season. I doubt that I am alone in this.

I'll still watch the games, at least for now, but I can't be as emotionally invested as I was in the past. The playing field has always been tilted, but now it's like trying to play shuffleboard on the stern of the Titanic while she's sinking. The game is now all about who has the deepest pockets. Things that I love, such as great coaching, team chemistry/development, homecourt advantage/rabid fans, school history, etc. are all just dusty nostalgia.
This

I couldn't have written my exact feelings (especially the second paragraph) any better than this. Well said, at least from my viewpoint. After 40 years of following VCU basketball, I cannot completely ween myself. However, the interest is gradually fading, for college sports in general to the point where I will ween myself totally at some point. I've gone from rabid donor and season ticket holder, going to all conference tournaments, some away games to taking a mild interest of watching all games on TV. I give no money for various reasons ( if that makes me a bad fan, than so be it). I have been on the boards since the Zone days and I love this place warts and all. I still love the game, and watching uber talented players making great plays, but my days of emotional and financial investment are over.

I liken this to going to an "adult establishment"...... walk in with great interest and enthusiasm, giving dollar bill after dollar bill to each "entertainer" hoping the next one will be better only to leave broke, dejected and frustrated while the "entertainer" goes laughing all the way to the bank with my money. At some point the light bulb goes on.
well that took a turn I wasn't expecting lol

Do I have a problem with athletes being paid? No. But the model should be the same as all the other pro sports models. Minor league teams, Major league teams all seem to be able to run there programs off the money it generates. Gate revenue, NCAA rev-share, merch, TV deals, RAF donations and sponsorship are the usual revenue streams. The city or town may subsidize a facility. From there a budget is devised to pay admin, talent, security, player and fan amenities, travel, medical... Its not that difficult. What a player is worth is determined by how much their talent garners in terms of these aforementioned verticals. Asking the fans to pass the hat so the players can get paid is a bridge too far for me. I know its the only way it can happen now bc of current laws. But I hope these programs reconfigure themselves and laws change so the universities can do this all on their own.

I’ve always believed the players should be paid, and have no issue with them doing so. I hope some kind of system gets worked out because what they have going on now is probably unsustainable. I agree that it’s a bridge too far to start asking fans to blindly donate money into some collective. Pro teams don’t do that. And while I support VCU basketball there are more worthwhile causes to donate my money to.

It’s a bit annoying that in this age of sports fans are subjected to so much of the money talk. If anyone else here is a golf fan, I’m sure you’re as sick as I am of hearing how much this liv player made vs how much the poor old pga tour guys make, and it’s all more money than I’ll ever touch.

I want these guys to get paid what they’re worth, but I’m not a gm, I don’t even like thinking about my own finances, let alone that being a concern in my day to day sports fandom.

If there was a combined major league with 300+ separate teams, all attempting, to varying degrees, to compete against each other at the same level, then you would probably see a lot more pro teams begging with their hands out.

If there was a combined major league with 300+ separate teams, all attempting, to varying degrees, to compete against each other at the same level, then you would probably see a lot more pro teams begging with their hands out.
They all do now, they just frame it as tax incentives and favorable rates/exposure on bonds

They all do now, they just frame it as tax incentives and favorable rates/exposure on bonds
True, but that's laundered through political filters, there's not much direct charitable solicitation to individuals. At least with sponsorship there is expected quid pro quo. The thing about NIL is how it's an obvious strawmam wearing the beard of sponsorship.

Yeah, we hear about the Flying Squirrels Double A baseball team wanting money for a new stadium every single day.

Last edited:
And the college programs get tax exempt status, tax payer subsidized facilities and student fees subsidies. The real issue is the supply of teams outstrips the demand of people willing to pay huge sums of $$ to watch them play. There is going to be money for players. But there are going to be less teams (which means less scholarships, stipends and NIL). I believe coaches salaries will get decimated and excess superfluous positions in the athletic department will get removed. This NIL is going to cause a seismic shift in college athletics. It will be great for the top 20% of the players and programs and bad for the remaining 80%.
This is a classic example of Chesterton's fence; simple rule of thumb that suggests that you should never destroy a fence you stumble onto in the woods, change a rule, or do away with a tradition until you understand why it's there in the first place. The principle assumes that fences have a purpose, were carefully planned, and cost time and money to erect. So tearing it down is going to have consequences.

Last edited:
Yeah, we hear about the Flying Squirrels Single A baseball team wanting money for a new stadium every single day.
Squirrels are paying 3 mil a year in rent for the new stadium. Thats after spending millions on the diamond. Which this is after being lured to Richmond by lies in 2009 that they move here but the condition was they get a new stadium. 15 years later they are still waiting.

Back