NCAA Transfer & NIL Policies

It looks it would allow some RAF funds to go toward NIL, which would be a tremendous boost.
There are other things they could do like maybe tax fans for concessions. I just wonder if any idea for the flow of NIL money is sustainable. I scrapped all that I heard recently especially after the rumor that Lawal wanted $400,000. The issue is that P5 schools are tampering and throwing monetary figures out to players. They can then shop for their best deal. I just do not know how year after year programs can dish out cash to players. It angers me when all that everyone wanted the NCAA to do was compensate players from corporate earnings. They just decided to punt it to fans and businesses and wash their hands of it.

Another rumor....Brickus wanted a figure and VCU came up with the amount. Now Brickus is shopping that amount around with newly interested P5s.

I think it's telling that pro athletes, or frankly any athletes not working within an indentured servitude model, have had sponsorship, licensing, and endorsement income for ages and ages.... but then under the scholastic amateur scholarship model, we have what are supposedly the same things, but because it's mostly a workaround and a beard for pay-for-play, it's called NIL... like we all know it's not really very much about name/image/likeness.

Another rumor....Brickus wanted a figure and VCU came up with the amount. Now Brickus is shopping that amount around with newly interested P5s
And we’re supposed to welcome him with open arms if he can’t find a better deal

Another rumor....Brickus wanted a figure and VCU came up with the amount. Now Brickus is shopping that amount around with newly interested P5s.
I really can’t blame the players. You have the chance to graduate debt-free but also with a huge pile of cash saved up, being able to help your family, buy a home, etc. The vast majority of players aren’t going pro so this is setting them up for lifelong success as long as they aren’t totally irresponsible. Any rational person would do the same, especially with the sums of money being tossed around.

The annual unrestricted free agency combined with no type of regulation or transparency on spending is quite unpopular with fans, however, even those who have advocated for paying players. Interested to see where we are in 5 years.

I really can’t blame the players. You have the chance to graduate debt-free but also with a huge pile of cash saved up, being able to help your family, buy a home, etc. The vast majority of players aren’t going pro so this is setting them up for lifelong success as long as they aren’t totally irresponsible. Any rational person would do the same, especially with the sums of money being tossed around.

The annual unrestricted free agency combined with no type of regulation or transparency on spending is quite unpopular with fans, however, even those who have advocated for paying players. Interested to see where we are in 5 years.
Can't blame them at all. I like my current job and company, but if company B called and offered my a larger salary around the figures we are talking about? When do I start?? Cash is king

I’m a high school teacher, and one of my students presented a TedTalk on the harmful effects of the NIL on college athletics today. He’s a strong golf player, and he made several strong arguments, but some that stood out were how other sports programs will be worse off with all the financial focus shifting to football and basketball (even more so than normal), and how players will lose the glory of winning if they’re only thinking about how playing well raises their price tags.

It’s just interesting that even the kids are seeing these things…

I think NIL money should be made, but I think it should be capped to an equal amount for all schools with a cap for any individual player. Schools either can hit that mark or not, but there needs to be a limit. College earnings should not be more than opportunities in the pros.
I keep coming back to the thought of a cap, but how do you put a cap on endorsement earnings? A negotiated salary cap is one thing, plenty of leagues have this. But if Jerry Jones wants to "buy an autograph" from the QB of Arkansas for $1mil what is stopping him? The flood gates are open and the big money will always find a way.

Binding contracts with buyouts are the first step in fixing this mess IMO.

I have said this before and I'll say it again. Most people wouldn't eat sausage if they saw how it was made. Instant access to information is a blessing and a curse. The beauty of when NIL was not "legal" is that many of these same things happened and even some worse things but it wasn't public knowledge, just idle speculation that people cold dismiss, out of sight out of mind.

Here is a Pro Tip. Whatever your favorite restaurant may be, for the love of all, don't go back in the kitchen or you will probably never eat there again 🤷‍♂️

PS Never...ever ever send your food back if its wrong

I think NIL money should be made, but I think it should be capped to an equal amount for all schools with a cap for any individual player. Schools either can hit that mark or not, but there needs to be a limit. College earnings should not be more than opportunities in the pros.
LIke you and others here I have done a lot of thinking about NIL and its positive and negative effects on the state of college sports

My view is NIL in its conceptual state is good and quite fair - by that I mean there is no reason that a player should not be able to earn money for use of their name, image or likeness - I use Caitlan Clark as an example and say she should be able to earn money from all those ads we see her on TV etc as well as make bank on merchandise sellers using her number and name on jerseys - that to me is what the NIL lawsuit really opened the door for and what colleges and universities were basically stealing from the athletes before the court opened this avenue to athletes to make money off their own NIL

Unfortunately, Schools and their collectives etc have now taken to simply paying athletes to come to XYZ college or university unlrelated to the examples I gave above about Clark that I think are perfectly appropriate for an athlete to make bank on - VCU feels it has to do this to compete and remain at the top of the conference (dayton does it well too)

we are in a time period where schools now feel they have to pay for play or else drop to be bottom feeders in their respective conferences - to me this is a death spiral that has no bottom as long as a few weatlhy donors continue to fund this insanity and rules are simply do what you want

I can see the day in the near future that VCU has a million dollar payroll for 5 or 6 basketball players that don't really care one bit about VCU if they can double their take at another school

Like many I will remain a fan as an alum but ..........

Last edited:
Back