NCAA Transfer & NIL Policies

There is also an applicable Gartner's Hype Cycle that can be assigned to what we are seeing in NIL. We are actually in the midst of an AI Gartners Hype Cycle. https://www.gartner.com/en/research/methodologies/gartner-hype-cycle?

Although it was designed to account for peaks and valleys for technology, I believe ithe Grtner Hype Cycle applies to this new wave of NIL euphoria. It basically says when new tech emerges, the early promises and dreams do not match the final product. When those initial predictions don't come to fruition, there will be a steep drop off in expectations, perhaps even an overcorrection. Then over time, the real product with the real, delivered results will emerge. And it will be less than what the initial hype wave promised. Everyone is getting all caught up in the hype, but this bubble will burst and the final product will not be anything close to what most of the players/ universities envision.

Gartners Hype Cycle below. I believe we are currently near the Peak of Inflated Expectations with both NIL and AI.
source-gartner-2.svg

The college sports scene is being ruined. The college athlete is being provided a free education (I would have given my eye teeth to have been provide a college education and graduated debt free), with the ability to earn his or her way in life post graduation. Of course, that depends on just how hard the student athlete applies themselves to their studies. Took me nine years to pay off my student loans; fortunately I received some scholarship funds to lessen the load. I have no problem with the athlete student receiving some payments from the revenue they help generate but the NCAA dug in their heels against such, and instead of establishing limits or caps as to how much could be paid an athlete applicable to all schools, we have the current situation that is going to ruin college sports. It’s now a case of who has the deeper pockets and richer alumni and this is going to upset the playing field with the mid major or lower schools being nothing but a glorified minor league for the big schools. The day of a college athlete playing for the same school for 4 years will be greatly reduced. It’s now a case of show me the big money and I’ll play for you. It’s going to result in athletes soliciting NIL monies from a recruiting school and using it to leverage competing bids from other schools. It’s also going to reduce the enthusiasm of the fan base for their respective school. I know it’s impacting my interest in college sports. It’s also going to impact head coaches in fielding a competitive team year to year when they have to field an almost new team every year. It will effect the ability of the team to develop a cohesive edge that comes from playing together for a number of years. It will become a case of one and done. The team we fielded in 2011 resulting in the Final Four run would have never resulted if the current NIL system existed then. College basketball and football as it exist at this moment might just as well be a pro sport. What next, a college draft.

I won't express my opinion in depth but trading a skill for something in return is not getting a free education. 🤷‍♂️
A full athletic scholarship gives the recipient a free education (room, board, tuition and then some). Not sure where your confusion on this stems from.

I won't express my opinion in depth but trading a skill for something in return is not getting a free education. 🤷‍♂️
Well they got something I didn’t receive: no college debt and an education/degree. I had to work while attending college. Would have been more than willing to play a sport and given up my work for pay to receive a college education in return.

A full athletic scholarship gives the recipient a free education (room, board, tuition and then some). Not sure where your confusion on this stems from.
I am not confused at all. Players trade there abilities for an education. Some people gett full scholarships based on academics. My point is simply, they are not getting a "free education" they are trading a skill for it.

Well they got something I didn’t receive: no college debt and an education/degree. I had to work while attending college. Would have been more than willing to play a sport and given up my work for pay to receive a college education in return.
Lots of people would have made that trade but a lot of people don't have the skill set. In any feild, the people with the most skills will be compensated the most.

Back