Odom has proven track record in ability to build/rebuild

Excellent write-up Mat, I had no idea some State players were on campus this weekend

Thanks for the deep dive @Natty. What really stood out was Odom's last two teams ranked Top 25 in effective field goal percentage offense, and that VCU hasn't done that since 2004. Oof.

Also, for spelling Kyiv that way and not "Kiev."

thanks for the article - I would point out (and you did too) that most of Odom's successes were with players inherited from prior coaches at both UMBC and USU - glad to see his offensive #s at usu.

not sure why you failed to mention after he took UMBC to the NCAA in his 3rd year, his teams (all of his recruits) never won the conference again - records of 21-13, 16-17 and 14- 6 (covid year where schedules were reduced and adjusted on the fly)

I looked at their schedules at UMBC and at UMBC their schedules often included 2-3 games with D3 opponents ( ???? ) would love your insight on that - played Shenandoah a couple of years

also would be interesting to know did he run a similar 4 out offense at UMBC or does he adjust the O to accentuate the talents/skills of his roster

time will tell with Odom and YES I hope he knocks it out of the park at VCU and is our ooach in 2030 and has taken us back to being an annual participant in the NCAA tourney and winning games or at least in tourney 2 of 3 years (and really glad Ed moved quickly on this hire and did not leave a week dead period for players to disappear quickly without at least a strong pitch from the new coach)

will fell real good if I see he lands Ashworth and Shulga and a BIG to defend inside from the portal

go rams and coach odom

thanks for the article - I would point out (and you did too) that most of Odom's successes were with players inherited from prior coaches at both UMBC and USU - glad to see his offensive #s at usu.

not sure why you failed to mention after he took UMBC to the NCAA in his 3rd year, his teams (all of his recruits) never won the conference again - records of 21-13, 16-17 and 14- 6 (covid year where schedules were reduced and adjusted on the fly)

I looked at their schedules at UMBC and at UMBC their schedules often included 2-3 games with D3 opponents ( ???? ) would love your insight on that - played Shenandoah a couple of years

also would be interesting to know did he run a similar 4 out offense at UMBC or does he adjust the O to accentuate the talents/skills of his roster

time will tell with Odom and YES I hope he knocks it out of the park at VCU and is our ooach in 2030 and has taken us back to being an annual participant in the NCAA tourney and winning games or at least in tourney 2 of 3 years (and really glad Ed moved quickly on this hire and did not leave a week dead period for players to disappear quickly without at least a strong pitch from the new coach)

will fell real good if I see he lands Ashworth and Shulga and a BIG to defend inside from the portal

go rams and coach odom
When I coach inherits a guy who is already an all-conference level player, that's when maybe the "he won with the previous coach's players" becomes relevant. When you inherit guys who averaged 1 and 3 ppg when you arrived and you developed them over two years into top flight players, I think that take becomes irrelevant.

When I coach inherits a guy who is already an all-conference level player, that's when maybe the "he won with the previous coach's players" becomes relevant. When you inherit guys who averaged 1 and 3 ppg when you arrived and you developed them over two years into top flight players, I think that take becomes irrelevant.
the year before Odom arrived at USU Ashworth was playing 19 minutes per game and averaging 6 points a game (basically 6th man on an NCAA tourney team ) he played behind a veteran senior, another freshman that transferred the subsequent year with coach to Utah after that season and a 4th year junior that was the second leading scorer - basically a great opportunity to learn on the job under the prior coach ( that year the team ran through their center Queta 39 in NBA draft)

following year (Odom's first) increased playing time to 27 minutes/game and scoring to nearly 9 points a game (what I am saying with Ashworth is sometimes it is not so much a player developing but sometimes it is minutes aren't available for newcomers as much when seasoned vets that are are still there )

Shulga was the player barely playing for old coach as a freshman that developed most in the two subsequent years under Odom

Barstow was playing about 10 mpg and scoring 4ppg before Odom arrived but behind far better players ( I am going to guess Bairstow was really turned loose as a 6'8" shooting guard in Odom's approach to offense - really don't remember the old coaches approach)

the 3 years prior to Odom arriving they went to the dance (they were the AQ in 19-20 having won the conference tourney when the Pandemic stopped basketball - so I count that as 3 years in a row though technically did not happen)

but I accept your take

the bigger point was that at UMBC when all the players were his recruits, they were not that successful as measured by winning conference or winning conference tournament ; BUT all coaches learn as they gain experience so hopefully he can build/rebuild our program for long-term success

go Rams and Coach Odom

JAR. In some card games Ace is not always the highest card and counts as 1, the lowest value. However in my town, it's a place which is a helpful hardware store.

Does Odom use a shorter bench? Is he typically using 6-8 guys or does he also do the "army" approach?

Does Odom use a shorter bench? Is he typically using 6-8 guys or does he also do the "army" approach?
From what I read he used three off the bench at Utah State with a fourth getting minimal minutes (by that I mean around two minutes). Even his eighth...third off the bench... would only get about six minutes. You can check their box scores. I would guess it would also depend of his trust of players to decide it he wanted to go with depth.

in big games the rotation was 7 guys with 3 starters normally playing 35+ minutes sans foul trouble
an 8th player Hamoda saw from 2-10 minutes based upon circumstances from February on

their 6th man Akins was often 25-30 mpg

just didn't have lots of talent beyond the top 7

Back