Put some respect on their names

rammad90

Elite Member
Look, regardless of how you feel about this years team, you gotta admit the this was a gutty performance in an hostile arena.

Except Johns and maybe Zeb the guys were out of sync They easily could have packed in and accepted another loss. They didnt,.

Mike did something many of us have suggested all year. He pulled the ineffective starters and put isn the subs. The subs brought us home.

Again, these guys could have mailed it in but they win a heart breaker and maintain their lead in the standings.

So to all the naysayers who continue to point out what this team does wrong, or how winning just isnt good enough, quit bitching for a moment and please "Put some respect on their names"

Last edited:
Somehow, some way, this team is 19-7, 10-3 in the A-10 currently.

All of these things can be true:

-- We can be pissed at how we play at times.
-- We can be happy as he!! we're winning ugly games like we did at URI last night.
-- The A-10 is down this year, and for the most part we're taking advantage, notwithstanding the bad losses at home vs. Bona and Dayton.
-- Just about every other top tier A-10 team has at least 2 or 3 bad losses this year.
-- Message boards are designed to accentuate the negative. Looking back through last night's game thread -- hoo boy. And I'm guilty as charged! I was ready to throw in the towel. Glad the team wasn't!

Let's finish the regular season on a strong note and set ourselves up for Brooklyn. Still think we need to advance to the championship game to have a shot at the NCAA Tournament. The DeLoach injury did not look good at all. Somebody or two will have to step up if we're going to have any sort of chance of dancing this year. And please, Ace, get out of your slump!

Let's Go VCU!

The fact that this team is 19-7 and sitting at first in the A10 is shocking and I mean that in a good way. It’s a huge testament to the grit of this team. We struggle mightily to score but find a way to win more often than not.

MR past teams had a propensity for back to back losses. This year we refuse to do that. That is an improvement from years past. There are some legitimate gripes about the program. But we are 19-7 and in first place in the A10 (albeit a weak one). I hope we run the tournament and start showing what we are capable of.

Our D keeps us in games we'd otherwise be bad guy blowouts. If we just play barely average O we can run this thing out. We'll need the A game vs Fordham. They are no longer a joke in the A10. Whatever Urgo is doing it's working more quickly than expected.

Thank you! I was watching us get back into the game last night, and thinking “We lost Deloach, Ace is ineffective for whatever reason, and we’re still inching and clawing back from a 13 pt deficit on the road.”

I know we played badly to get in that position, but we have to give them credit for pulling out the W even when everything seems to be going wrong. It’s harder than people think. All good teams find themselves in bad situations. Good teams find ways to win anyway.

Thank you! I was watching us get back into the game last night, and thinking “We lost Deloach, Ace is ineffective for whatever reason, and we’re still inching and clawing back from a 13 pt deficit on the road.”

I know we played badly to get in that position, but we have to give them credit for pulling out the W even when everything seems to be going wrong. It’s harder than people think. All good teams find themselves in bad situations. Good teams find ways to win anyway.
Indeed. There are no easy road games, and our Rams are road warriors. 6-3 on the year so far!

Somehow, some way, this team is 19-7, 10-3 in the A-10 currently.

All of these things can be true:

-- We can be pissed at how we play at times.
-- We can be happy as he!! we're winning ugly games like we did at URI last night.
-- The A-10 is down this year, and for the most part we're taking advantage, notwithstanding the bad losses at home vs. Bona and Dayton.
-- Just about every other top tier A-10 team has at least 2 or 3 bad losses this year.
-- Message boards are designed to accentuate the negative. Looking back through last night's game thread -- hoo boy. And I'm guilty as charged! I was ready to throw in the towel. Glad the team wasn't!

Let's finish the regular season on a strong note and set ourselves up for Brooklyn. Still think we need to advance to the championship game to have a shot at the NCAA Tournament. The DeLoach injury did not look good at all. Somebody or two will have to step up if we're going to have any sort of chance of dancing this year. And please, Ace, get out of your slump!

Let's Go VCU!
I agree with some of the things you posted and disagree with others as we are working on opinions.

First ,Message Boards arent designed to accentuate the negative. You have been lulled by social media and the crap they feed you in that medium. Also, may be skewed by an infamous politician who's entire tenure in office was built on the foundation of negativity.

Message Boards were and are designed to discuss topics we can agree, disagree, and express our opinions without being negative., We can express our displeasure surrounding how the guys play sometimes without ALLWAYs having to be negative. This is the point of this post. They couldn't get it together last night but we won. We should be focusing on that. These are young quasi amateurs not professionals.

Someone referred to Rhode Island as "trash" in one of our threads. There are rarely any reasons to refer to another human being as trash. Just not appropriate. First, its poor taste and says more about the person posting than the recipient. Second, these are someone's loved one. Third, these players no matter their record have achieved more in their short lifetimes than some of us on this message board have although we are all undoubtedly older. Earning a DI scholarship is difficult.

The A10 isnt really down this year, we just got off to a bad start. Dayton has suffered unusually brutal injuries. We lost our main cog Ace for an important period. Slu had issues as well. However, make no mistake while this isnt a multi bid league, We do have multiple teams in this league that could beat up on quite a few teams that will dance.

As stated, I agree with most of what you stated. Now as to throwing in the towel, stop panicking. I am critical as well. Remember, I wasnt a SS fan and I thought (and still do) that Bri was over rated (not as a player) but as a point guard.j. We should support theses guys whether they are winning or losing. So throwing in the towel shouldn't be an option.

Finally, for all our fans we arent Duke, Kansas, play in the P5, heck we arent even Gonzaga or St. Mary's at this point. Could we be a top 30 plus program sure are we now nope. Like most of DI MBB we wont just win by showing up, we have to play to win and this year that is just a bit tougher to do night in and night our. This is what makes these guys special, they have no off nights.

So we should all applaud and effort like last night. Watkins, Johns, Zeb, Banks, Tobi, all stood tall and stepped up when Deloach got hurt and Nunn, Ace, and Shriver all had not bad but horrendous nights. Seriously, its amazing that we won.

Coach Rhoades mentioned on multiple times, earlier in the year, that this might be his deepest team. Many on this board constantly criticized his comment. The depth of the team won that game.

Look, regardless of how you feel about this years team, you gotta admit the this was a gutty performance in an hostile arena.

Except Johns and maybe Zeb the guys were out of sync They easily could have packed in and accepted another loss. They didnt,.

Mike did something many of us have suggested all year. He pulled the ineffective starters and put isn the subs. The subs brought us home.

Again, these guys could have mailed it in but they win a heart breaker and maintain their lead in the standings.

So to all the naysayers who continue to point out what this team does wrong, or how winning just isnt good enough, quit bitching for a moment and please "Put some respect on their names"
The team realized Ace needed help and they stepped up and got a W.

The team played lock down D for the last 10 minutes. A good D can make everything OK when nothing else is going well. As badly as this game was played a win happened. I didn't expect it at the 10 minute mark but the guys somehow managed to not take a terrible loss. Pretty sure the O metrics fell off the table, but the D metrics probably offset that.

The team played lock down D for the last 10 minutes. A good D can make everything OK when nothing else is going well. As badly as this game was played a win happened. I didn't expect it at the 10 minute mark but the guys somehow managed to not take a terrible loss. Pretty sure the O metrics fell off the table, but the D metrics probably offset that.
I sure did. I didn't give up.

Back