Ranking Best Coaching Jobs

Mistachill

Elite Member
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59777/ranking-the-coaching-jobs-the-others

(Editor's Note: Realignment makes the college landscape a confusing one these days, but for the purposes of this poll, panelists were asked to vote based on what each conference would look like for the 2012-13 season.)

Atlantic 10: No matter who the coach is, Xavier just keeps winning year after year. That would be the definition of a good coaching job -- and that's why X was the unanimous pick. VCU was the group's choice for the third spot before Butler's decision to move to the A-10 immediately prompted a re-vote. As for the bottom three, Rhode Island and GW picked up some votes but Fordham's non-stop losing, the Bonnies' remote location and Duquesne's 25-year tourney drought was too much to overcome.

The Best
1. Xavier
2. Temple
3. Butler

The Worst
14. Duquesne
15. St. Bonaventure
16. Fordham

On a side note, the West Coast Conference, the Missouri Valley and the Mountain West may have the A10 beat when it comes to worst logos.

On a side note, the West Coast Conference, the Missouri Valley and the Mountain West may have the A10 beat when it comes to worst logos.
Sorry if this isn't an original question, but I don't recall it being asked... And since the scheduling thread got back on track from the whole logo tangent, I figured I derail this one... And this has always bothered me... Why do the CAA and the OVC have pretty much the exact same logo?

ovc-logo1_display_image.jpg

CAALogo_display_image.jpg

Colonial
Best: George Mason -- With the immediate departure of VCU and the soon-to-be departure of ODU, this one was obvious.
Worst: William & Mary -- Towson has been historically bad lately, but its sparkling new arena was enough to keep it out of the CAA jobs cellar.

Sorry if this isn't an original question, but I don't recall it being asked... And since the scheduling thread got back on track from the whole logo tangent, I figured I derail this one... And this has always bothered me... Why do the CAA and the OVC have pretty much the exact same logo?

ovc-logo1_display_image.jpg

CAALogo_display_image.jpg

Wow, never paid attention enough to notice but you're right. I assume the same company designed it?

Wow, never paid attention enough to notice but you're right. I assume the same company designed it?
both mid major conferences, got the design done on the cheap cheap, prally got a two for 1 deal.

Meanwhile, in the ACC...

5. Virginia: Owning the state will be a tougher task with VCU’s ongoing surge and pending move to the Atlantic 10. But Tony Bennett still managed to snatch the 20th-ranked recruiting class in the country this season. The Cavaliers are holding their own despite the multiple competitors for talent within its own state. John Paul Jones Arena is a beautiful facility, but Virginia’s attendance numbers haven't been great since it opened it 2006. Still, a solid job for an energetic and patient coach.

How much does it stick in UVA's craw that VCU is mentioned in their off-season blurb.

Times they are a-changin'...and have been for a while.

Some Spiders do say nice things about us.

"VCU is a great job. Always has been since around 1970 or so. Largest student body in state, largest recruiting pool of most all of the D-1 programs in state, no football, and a very involved university administration.It was a known fact that Trani was very "hands on" with mens basketball."

Meanwhile, in the ACC...

5. Virginia: Owning the state will be a tougher task with VCU’s ongoing surge and pending move to the Atlantic 10. But Tony Bennett still managed to snatch the 20th-ranked recruiting class in the country this season. The Cavaliers are holding their own despite the multiple competitors for talent within its own state. John Paul Jones Arena is a beautiful facility, but Virginia’s attendance numbers haven't been great since it opened it 2006. Still, a solid job for an energetic and patient coach.

How much does it stick in UVA's craw that VCU is mentioned in their off-season blurb.

Times they are a-changin'...and have been for a while.
How much does it show ESPN's bias that they have the nerve to imply that UVa "owned" the statebefore our move to the A-16?

UVa has been playing second (at least) fiddle to other Virginia schools for a long time. Since UVa won a game in the NCAA Tournament (not the be-all, end-all measure of program success, but a convenient one nonetheless), VCU, ODU, George Mason, TICKS, and Norfolk State have all won at least once in the dance.

Norfolk. State.

I get it. UVa plays in the ACC and gets to mooch off of the money their football program makes with their media deal. But UVa men's basketball hasn't been nationally relevant for the past 15 years, and it probably won't be nationally relevant at a school where the top two sports on campus are baseball and lacrosse.

How much does it show ESPN's bias that they have the nerve to imply that UVa "owned" the statebefore our move to the A-16?

read it again. they didn't imply that at all. if anything, it simply stated that it will be even tougher to stand out in the commonwealth than it was before. not everything written about the ACC should be taken as some sort of diss on other teams. this certainly wasn't.

But is it really tough when you do stand out in the commonwealth? And DCDuck. Lets call the A-10 the A-10. Calling us the A-16 is like calling the CAA the Colonial Conference. Neither clever or cute.

And DCDuck. Lets call the A-10 the A-10. Calling us the A-16 is like calling the CAA the Colonial Conference. Neither clever or cute.

Exactly! We get that he doesn't like the A10, he wished we stayed in the CAA, he hates their logo, etc.

But now that we're in the conference, continuing to diss them is like slapping yourself in the face. Let it go Duck!

Tubby Smith told RAMification in a one-on-one phone call that "VCU" was one of the best jobs in the country- and at that time, probably the hottest job in the country! That was when we were replacing AG. Tubby wanted Dave Hobbs to get the serious look.

Tubby Smith told RAMification in a one-on-one phone call that "VCU" was one of the best jobs in the country- and at that time, probably the hottest job in the country! That was when we were replacing AG. Tubby wanted Dave Hobbs to get the serious look.

Jeff Capel said the same thing in a tweet. Said the VCU job was the best. I bet he would come back in a heartbeat. Shaka ain't leaving anytime soon. I wonder if Norwood is starting to feel the pangs of regret?

VCUBeatsduke

Back