The 2019-20 Season

A number of those teams get a bump simply by virtue of their conference and has little to do with how good they actually have been. Just look at Tech. yeah, they got to the NIT several times/NCAA 4 times. But this year was the first year that Tech has gotten multiple wins in the dance since LBJ was president.

"KenPom program ranking: No. 73

This seems like a glitch. From a job perspective, it definitely is. VCU is a top-50 job in America. On fan base dedication and quality of facilities alone, it's arguably a top-15 school in the country. The Final Four run in 2011 is a nice bump, but remember, VCU was a No. 11 seed that season, a No. 11 seed that was sent to the inaugural First Four. VCU is in this spot for similar reasons that UConn is 19th instead of closer to (or in) the top 10: complete body of work. The Rams' median KenPom ranking since 1997 is 68. No power-conference alignment. Not a recruiting power. They're ranked too low, but I understand how they slip this far, even if I and most others would disagree with it."

"KenPom program ranking: No. 73

This seems like a glitch. From a job perspective, it definitely is. VCU is a top-50 job in America. On fan base dedication and quality of facilities alone, it's arguably a top-15 school in the country. The Final Four run in 2011 is a nice bump, but remember, VCU was a No. 11 seed that season, a No. 11 seed that was sent to the inaugural First Four. VCU is in this spot for similar reasons that UConn is 19th instead of closer to (or in) the top 10: complete body of work. The Rams' median KenPom ranking since 1997 is 68. No power-conference alignment. Not a recruiting power. They're ranked too low, but I understand how they slip this far, even if I and most others would disagree with it."

KenPom is more of an “efficiency measure” (essentially scoring margin) rather than a true “ranking.” The KP metric is, nonetheless, a fairly valid indicator/reflection of your overall level of play.

Our real ascent started in 2003-04 (Capel’s second year). If this compilation is a (roughly) 15-yr examination (instead of 23 yrs), we’re a Top 50 program. On the whole, we’ve been playing high-quality ball for the last 17 yrs (entire Capel to Rhoades era). The 11 NCAA appearances since 2004 punctuate that fact.

Yes, certain programs’ overall KP “efficiency” is buoyed by their conference affiliation (level of competition). However, folks that follow college hoops closely and understand/study the landscape know the relative power/level of the top programs.

Last edited:
KenPom is more of an “efficiency measure” (essentially scoring margin) rather than a true “ranking.” The KP metric is, nonetheless, a fairly valid indicator/reflection of your overall level of play.

Our real ascent started in 2003-04 (Capel’s second year). If this compilation is a (roughly) 15-yr examination (instead of 23 yrs), we’re a Top 50 program. On the whole, we’ve been playing high-quality ball for the last 17 yrs (entire Capel to Rhoades era). The 11 NCAA appearances since 2004 punctuate that fact.

Yes, certain programs’ overall KP “efficiency” is buoyed by their conference affiliation (level of competition). However, folks that follow college hoops closely and understand/study the landscape know the relative power/level of the top programs.
64 or 68 teams, 11 out of 15 years, a stretch for top 50. 6 wins total?

Never went there. Never will. ?

Jefe was the man but he never sent a trolley this way!

Baja Bean opens at 3:30 p.m. daily at 1520 W. Main St.

[email protected]
(804) 649-6321

I dont think there was another restaurant that had such an atomic level interaction b/w establishment and the VCU fan base. It was authentic and sincere. He had great prices, specials and gave away tons of swag. I hope Jefe re-energizes and comes back with another great venue!

RIP Baja Bean
That sux...Jeff is and has been a true friend of Ram fans. And while our W/L record while I was watching a game there was about 50/50...it was a great place to catch up w/ my old teammates.

That sux...Jeff is and has been a true friend of Ram fans. And while our W/L record while I was watching a game there was about 50/50...it was a great place to catch up w/ my old teammates.
Yeah, it's such a unique space for the fan. Hopefully another place opens up in there with ownership that is down with the rams.

RIP Baja Bean
So, with Baja Bean closing, what is now the "Most VCU Bar" in Richmond?
Village?
The Village probably sells more beer on a game night than the founders room does.
The Local?

So, with Baja Bean closing, what is now the "Most VCU Bar" in Richmond?
Village?
The Village probably sells more beer on a game night than the founders room does.
The Local?
Village is more of the 'pre-game' spot; Home Team Grill for away games?

Back