The Franklin Street Gem

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Haven't seen this posted yet, but this article from the newly created VCU Magazine deserves its own thread. Also, lots of other great articles in the magazine as well, especially one about the School of Dentistry.

I saw my 1st game there with Ren and Gerald. My fraternity had many "Beer Bashes" with local and regional bands there in the 70's.

I took Mass Comm classes in the basement. I know I have told this story before but one day I walked into a practice. JD Barnett went into a rage over something. He went off on the players and then turned to me and cussed me out for being there watching.

I saw my 1st game there with Ren and Gerald. My fraternity had many "Beer Bashes" with local and regional bands there in the 70's.

Me and my roommate, who was a manager for the women's team, scrimmaged against the women's team several nights a week back in the late 80's early 90's in that building. Also use to play pick up in the auxiliary gym against a bunch of the University professors.

It's a great article and was nice to read since I know so many of the legends that mention in the article and of the stories they tell, The one about ODU being turned away due to over capacity, a certain Greek organization that still is very supportive of The Rams actually called the fire marshall about the crowd to have them turn away ODU fans. FSG was home to not ony triple digit temperatures pick up games in the summer heat, it was a place that you could watch some of the best basketball this side of Philly. Moses Malone even came back there once a pro to play at times.

I took Mass Comm classes in the basement. I know I have told this story before but one day I walked into a practice. JD Barnett went into a rage over something. He went off on the players and then turned to me and cussed me out for being there watching.

Did you watch him drive away in his 1980's "magnum pi" red trans am in disgust after that?

Me and my roommate, who was a manager for the women's team, scrimmaged against the women's team several nights a week back in the late 80's early 90's in that building. Also use to play pick up in the auxiliary gym against a bunch of the University professors.

Did you ever play against the 6'6 statistics professor who used to talk about his college playing days in class? (Forgot his name)

I am glad this thread started as the Franklin Street Gym article in the alum magazine is worth a read. To me, the piece was a walk down memory lane. My freshman year was 1969, a year in which the old gym was the basketball arena and new Franklin Street was under construction. I watched the Rams play in the old and new gyms; played intramural basketball and attended concerts in both; and was there for the University of Minnesota take down. The one thing that stood out to me in the piece was Shaka Smart's take on the symbolic nature of the Franklin Street Gym - to paraphrase, the ambiance of the place was reflected in players -- gritty, determined, and us-against-the-world. Perhaps VCU basketball lost some of those qualities with the move to the Development Center. Go Rams.

Did you ever play against the 6'6 statistics professor who used to talk about his college playing days in class? (Forgot his name)

I do not recall him, however there were a few of my business professors as part of the bunch. I do remember having to play with some reservation and be more of a facilitator, or not be asked to come back.

Back