The JRod appreciation thread

Duhhh!!! And this is coming from a guy (me) that didn't support Joey for all 4 of his years.

I am not for micro managing, but this should be an area where Ed steps in and says "Will Wade -make this happen". I don't give a cr@p about it being Wade's sole decision. That BS. We all see what happens when we let a coach fully run his program. He leaves for a better job and leaves the program in shambles (in terms of staff) and the only Havoc is left on the psyches of the players. We have seen this way too many times here. VCU has given Wade a tremendous opportunity. Let's mitigate any losses that may come down the road should Wade move on and put ONE OF OUR OWN on the staff. Someone who will feel VCU is a destination job and not a stepping stone. And the only way to do this is to get someone that has VCU in there DNA.

VCU AD should have a say in 1 position on the MBB staff (aside from the HC). It is way too important of a program for us to ever be left blind sided again by a mass exodus.

Fwiw, at one point Joey considered getting a Masters degree in Sports Management, and hoping to become a Grad Assistant. Why not that?

Joey might be my favorite player of all time. There is a constant debate in my head between him and Bri. He was my favorite out of his class from the first time I saw him play an exhibition game. I love the guy. With that said I don't think it is such a bad thing that he is doing the job he has right now. He has been a high school assistant before, and a college video coordinator. A year or two as a high school head coach would give him a great amount of experience developing players. He will make it here when the time is right. We will probably be looking for an assistant within the next 2 or 3 years. I don't know if he would stay forever though. You really can't predict who will turn a job in to a destination job.

No offense but what did you expect him to say about his current job.
I'm just saying he just got the job right? I don't really keep up so I don't know how long he's even been coaching the team but it would feel weird to pull him from a job if he just got it and has barely even started. He has plenty of time to move into college coaching. Let him have success in the job he has earned already first.

I don't know Joey so I can't say if he necessarily even wants to coach in college at this point. There are plenty of guys who are qualified to coach at the college level but instead they end up being lifers as high school coaches.

I know this is just a forum thread but I'm gonna pump the brakes and not go overboard on the campaign trail.

Would it be a good get if he ended up on the staff? Absolutely.
Do I trust the athletic department and coaching staff to locate and hire the best coaches? Absolutely

I love the guy and love fans showing love to Joey, however, this is really a very rude way to go about this. It is rude to do to a new coach and it is certainly rude to put Joey in this spot. There is usually a very logical reason for Joey being where he is right now. Trust me when I say, this thread will be best to pass on to the back pages.
Not trying to be rude. Will will hire the best person for the job. I wasn't trying to put anyone on the spot. If this does indeed look rude we can delete it or lock it.

Last edited:
Not trying to be rude. Will will hire the best person for the job. I wasn't trying to put anyone on the spot. If this does indeed look rude we can delete it or lock it.
It is all good. Newgate can be a abrasive old cuss. He is from Jersey.

PS- @RamStrut , if it does really bother you a easy fix would be calling the thread something like.....JRod's Greatest Assist or something like that.

Last edited:
You know having VCU basketball alum (like Theus and Joey) coaching at local high schools never hurts our program in recruiting. I would love for Joey to join the staff as much as anyone, but he could help us a lot where he currently is.

Isn't Joey starting a new job coaching in Florida? Why not let him do his new job down there for a couple years before starting this? We don't even know if he's interested in the kind of job that would be available to him here (DBO or lower).

Isn't Joey starting a new job coaching in Florida? Why not let him do his new job down there for a couple years before starting this? We don't even know if he's interested in the kind of job that would be available to him here (DBO or lower).

I think whether we hire him or not its good for us to show him how much he's appreciated for his efforts and how he has represented the Ram Nation.

I think whether we hire him or not its good for us to show him how much he's appreciated for his efforts and how he has represented the Ram Nation.
That's fine, but there might be better ways to do it.

Back