The Official Beat the Penn State Nittany Lions in the ESPN Events Invitational Thread

Again, I go back to the pining, whining ex-GF explanation as the reason for the joy and adulation of beating PSU. Any other circumstance it would be a so-so win. And Grant took Eblin and Shaka took grama's boy. And MR didn't take anyone. He offered and they accepted. And if we go back to earlier in the summer posts, many of you felt Baldwin and Kern were just so so players for us anyway.
Hey, I am not saying I am not happy that we beat PSU, our former coach and our former players.....just like we have done to Capel, Grant, Shaka, and Wade. But many here are pretty high on what would be at any other time, a win against a mediocre team. I'm happy that we came away from the tournament with 1 win rather than 3 straight losses. But I am happier that we showed we have the ability against all three teams we played but fell short because 1) it's early in the season; 2) we are rebuilding; 3) players are still finding their role and their game......I'm happy because I see us getting better and better each game. I felt the same way last year when we were rebuilding a team with a bunch of former role players and who progressed and got better and better throughout the season.
Come on Brad. You need to stop. Who on here thought that Ace was a so so player? He was A10 POY and DPOY. He started as a freshman at VCU. Maybe just slow your roll a bit.

Again, I go back to the pining, whining ex-GF explanation as the reason for the joy and adulation of beating PSU. Any other circumstance it would be a so-so win. And Grant took Eblin and Shaka took grama's boy. And MR didn't take anyone. He offered and they accepted. And if we go back to earlier in the summer posts, many of you felt Baldwin and Kern were just so so players for us anyway.
Hey, I am not saying I am not happy that we beat PSU, our former coach and our former players.....just like we have done to Capel, Grant, Shaka, and Wade. But many here are pretty high on what would be at any other time, a win against a mediocre team. I'm happy that we came away from the tournament with 1 win rather than 3 straight losses. But I am happier that we showed we have the ability against all three teams we played but fell short because 1) it's early in the season; 2) we are rebuilding; 3) players are still finding their role and their game......I'm happy because I see us getting better and better each game. I felt the same way last year when we were rebuilding a team with a bunch of former role players and who progressed and got better and better throughout the season.
I'm not sure I've seen anyone argue for and against his own point so many times in one post.

The funny thing is, we are all tip-top on high because we beat PSU coming out of the tournament. Any other year we would come back hanging our head because the only team we beat was a perennial bottom feeder in it's conference. Well, we might have had some joy considering it is payback for losing to them recently. But at any other time it would have been just a so so win. Never have I known us to be so high after beating a team that Heel believes will lose 20 games this season.......it's sort of like throwing a major celebration after beating a cira 2009 Towson or JMU cellar dweller team. But hey, the koolaid flows freely through VRN.
If we would have lost this game you would have never let us hear the end of it. Since we won it's no different than beating Towson and we should all shut up about it. This game obviously meant more to us than NET rankings. You must be a lot of fun at parties.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.
R.f911de263c408823ab98a466dfefaccf

If we would have lost this game you would have never let us hear the end of it. Since we won it's no different than beating Towson and we should all shut up about it. This game obviously meant more to us than NET rankings. You must be a lot of fun at parties.
Seems like a contrarian--I have no patience for it.

It is definitely getting old but can you imagine if we would have lost that "meaningless" game? He will be even more insufferable than he already is. Hopefully we go 3-0 against Rhoades and that becomes his legacy at VCU.
I can. Brad would have been on here celebrating the virtues of Mike Rhoades, who only appears to be a deer in the headlights, when he is actually as crafty as a fox and underestimated.

Why would people be excited after a game where we beat our former coach and a couple former players so soon after they departed and with a good bit of bad blood involved? Especially when we played the best basketball as a team that we’ve played this season while one of our key returning players just had an amazing game and scored as many points as he had in the previous 6 games combined.

I think most people here are realistic enough to know that this team is still a work in progress, will still have some off nights that make us shake our heads, and most likely will need to win the A10 Tournament to get into the NCAA Tournament this season because of the lack of Q1 opportunities the rest of the way.

But it always feels good to get a win and it feels particularly good when that win is in a game that has added meaning.
Gives me hope
Demonstrates this team can play together

Back