The Official Beat the St. Bonaventure Bonnies at the Stu Thread

St. Bonaventure had 6'10 260 pound Chad Venning and 6'11 265 Noel Brown carving out space against our light weights in the paint all night.

St. Bonaventure has the largest A10 presence in the middle and they use it effectively to wear reams out to wear opponent defenses out

This is the one opponent that requires a widebody.

The fact the Coach Odom never even considered bringing Rose (6'11 260 pounds) off the bench to bang with Venning or Brown and maybe move them off their favorite spots in THIS GAME tells everything about Rose current team status..for the rest of the season.

We didn't have enough backside help. Switching on screens and communications are a must. We all feel frustrated. The offense was pretty bad too. We should've lost this game. I miss Joe's bombs and Obi's slams.
Our communication was awful. It didn't look like any of them were talking to each other. I really thought the game would be closer and then one of StB's guard would hit a ridiculous three. Maybe the 9:00pm start time? Whatever it was, here's hoping it was an anomaly.

I just want to point out even our highly touted defensive teams got lit up at some point. Dayton 3 ball game anyone? Don’t get me wrong we need to play tougher in the paint. Fight for the ball. Thats just effort. Regardless though SBU threw up some complete trash and it went in. Unfortunately it was the night our best players were totally off.
Too be fair the Dayton 3 ball game, I think you are referring to Rhoades first year, was not a great defensive team. In fact, Dambrot referred to it early in the year as Havoc Light.

I'm skipping all the (accurate) criticism about last night and jumping in here just to say how impressed I was with Christian in an extremely challenging situation. Against that mountain of a man, he ended up with 15p on 4-8, 7-7, 9r and 3b in 28 minutes. Venning had 19 and 11 but in 32 min, and that included that WTF turnaround at the end of 1H. Pretty much toe to toe; Venning, as good as he was, was not the reason we lost last night.

Lotta questions after last night.....

However.... What is up with Kuany only getting 11 mins last night? He played 9 mins in the first half, scored 10 pts, only missed 1 shot from the field, was perfect from 3 & from the line.

The Second half.... he played 2 mins, hit his only shot.... Never saw the court again..... Why?.... And Belle got 1 min at the end of the game in garbage time basically. And Fats got 8 total mins last night.

I get Belle's offense might be a Work in Progress or something.... but I still think he could be useful on the defensive side.

Why do I bring up these 3 players specifically??? Because Last night we were completely outsized & out matched physically by St. Bonaventure.

Both Fats & Kuany have started to show they found their confidence on offense lately... and Belle as far as I know can still defend fairly well.

If you put these guys out there more along with Tobi, Fermin & Bairstow.... maybe we're not getting pushed around in the paint as much.... and at least in Kuany & Fats cases (not so much Belle's at the moment).... with them on the court you can spread the floor.... because both Kuany & Fats can hit 3's.... but both can also drive to the rim.

Last night was absolutely NOT the night that we needed Zeb & Max going 30+ mins & constantly running 3 guard line ups.

Last night we shoulda gone big... keep the guards fresh, And between the 3-5 spots.... Bairstow, Fermin, Tobi, Kuany & Belle should've rotated in & out enough to keep one another fresh.... but still "go big" at the same time.

Last night Joe was cold shooting the ball, Zeb again was having troubles finishing at the Rim, and Max was seemingly just throwing up shots.

imo we could've/should've mixed it up & gone bigger more.

The fact the Coach Odom never even considered bringing Rose (6'11 260 pounds) off the bench to bang with Venning or Brown and maybe move them off their favorite spots in THIS GAME tells everything about Rose current team status..for the rest of the season.
Rose is nowhere near 260 pounds. He's listed on the roster at 245. BUT, your point is well taken. It's hard to see him making an impact this season.

most telling response in Presser after game was Zeb struggling to answer question on team identity - "still trying to figure that out"

another slow start at home, RO has to figure out how to change that . I want to see some FIRE on D

other takeaways I took from RO Presser, intimated coaches prepared team for what Bonnies did well but our players did not execute on that side of the ball (defense)

my overall takeaway of what I saw - Bonnies were tougher and we backed down at times - secondly, we got to close out better on guys taking 3s

lots of posters here seem to say Odom was new to A10 and will be better prepared second time around against opponents - that door swings both ways in that Bonnies had never played against an Odom offense or defense either -

go rams

Well…Everyone was excited about more offense. Our Identity for the past decade and a half has been great lock down defense. You don’t let someone come in your house and have a track meet. Out coached and outplayed easily. All I can say is defense wins championships offense wins pick up games…SMH.

We were among the best defensive teams for the last 13 years. I don't remember many championships. I'm happy that we can score points now. The defense isn't nearly as bad as people are making it seem. Last night wasn't the norm.

most telling response in Presser after game was Zeb struggling to answer question on team identity - "still trying to figure that out"

another slow start at home, RO has to figure out how to change that . I want to see some FIRE on D

other takeaways I took from RO Presser, intimated coaches prepared team for what Bonnies did well but our players did not execute on that side of the ball (defense)

my overall takeaway of what I saw - Bonnies were tougher and we backed down at times - secondly, we got to close out better on guys taking 3s

lots of posters here seem to say Odom was new to A10 and will be better prepared second time around against opponents - that door swings both ways in that Bonnies had never played against an Odom offense or defense either -

go rams
Bonnie’s have an experienced team that shot lights out. Our team has had waivers, injuries, roster inconsistency. Theres plenty of talent but you don’t build chemistry over night. Nevermind Odom didn’t basically have a team when he showed up with no time to recruit.

Lotta questions after last night.....
yeah i had some similar questions on our rotation - all I could surmise was Odom was being reactive on D and trying to go small to match the other 4 Bonnies besides Venning - maybe falling a little too much in love with the mismatch he gets with Sean B being able to take his opponent to and toward the rim ( I maybe oversimplifying that

I remain in the camp that Belle and Fats need minutes (13-18 would be my expectation on avg)

given how we were fighting back from some big deficits, I can only surmise Odom went with the 3 players he was most comfortable with for excess minutes (Zeb and his two USU players Sean and Max , 35 , 34 and 33 minutes among the 3) - the losers were Belle and Fats

joe bam to me is very one dimensional so far (scorer) and when that is not working his defense and passing game are not enough to make a real difference and to keep him on the court - maybe that changes some as he gets his sealegs in the first part of this month

I am still perplexed on how we defend the pick n roll - we gotta figure that out better because we will continue to see that over and over - last night it led to some open 3s, in earlier games it led to lots of rim runs from our opponents

just a little frustrated now in that we got an opening night conference game at home against a top 3 opponent and we laid a clunker in the STU

nice to get GW to right the ship on saturday , especially after they played 3 OT game with a short rotation. I expect we will wear them down with our depth.

I'm skipping all the (accurate) criticism about last night and jumping in here just to say how impressed I was with Christian in an extremely challenging situation. Against that mountain of a man, he ended up with 15p on 4-8, 7-7, 9r and 3b in 28 minutes. Venning had 19 and 11 but in 32 min, and that included that WTF turnaround at the end of 1H. Pretty much toe to toe; Venning, as good as he was, was not the reason we lost last night.
He kinda was, as others mentioned we doubled him religiously in the second half which allowed some completely wide open shots from the Bonnies. Venning also rebounded super well. But yes Fermin did alright.

My basketball hot take is that if you’re the biggest guy on the court you shouldn’t be allowed to try to draw a charge
I know. I used to think that for a while when I was younger until I played a game or two with the guys with a whistle. That’s just not how it works. The big guy gets his advantage. You’ve got to figure out an answer with the advantages you have. For one thing, in the second half Venning didn’t look all that fresh going up and down the court. If we had our up tempo game clicking and our usual top scorers were clicking together they lose, even with our turnovers. SBU had about as perfect a night as they could have and they still couldn’t pull away. We’re still trying to incorporate our best offensive talent, and we have a lot of it. We’ll be fine.

Back