The Official Beat the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City in the NIT Quarterfinals Thread

Do you have a list, or partial list, of who he's really going after? (I should probably check the recruiting thread. Duh!!)
I was referring to the transfer portal. Lots of big names on players we’re after plus some great A10 talent that entered the portal.

I was referring to the transfer portal. Lots of big names on players we’re after plus some great A10 talent that entered the portal.
so what is the list of the big names on players we are after? or where can you point us if a service (website) has an accurate list (or at least speculative list)

Clearly Odom needs some major adds from the portal list (if Max leaves then we could need as many as 4 starters to improve this team - I will feel better about the real number after the next 7 days or so when we are likely to see who if any is hitting the portal and likely not returning

I look at Bam as an off the bench microwave type of instant offense player and not a starter -as a 6'2" guard with limited point guard skills like passing and nothing beyond avg on defense and prospects for improving for a 5th year player are limited, not to say he cannot improve)

one thing that is not mentioned much is it seems international players are often in Odom's recruiting plans and that market is pretty quiet (secretive) so as to not alert p6s

we are gonna see what kinda of recruiting chops Coach Odom has - I am hoping for the best

I look at Bam as an off the bench microwave type of instant offense player and not a starter -as a 6'2" guard with limited point guard skills like passing and nothing beyond avg on defense and prospects for improving for a 5th year player are limited, not to say he cannot improve)
I am really, really curious to see if him staying in the same offense for two years makes a difference in his game. The guy had a different head coach four years in a row. We might be a little surprised at what happens ... or at least I can hope.

so what is the list of the big names on players we are after? or where can you point us if a service (website) has an accurate list (or at least speculative list)

Clearly Odom needs some major adds from the portal list (if Max leaves then we could need as many as 4 starters to improve this team - I will feel better about the real number after the next 7 days or so when we are likely to see who if any is hitting the portal and likely not returning

one thing that is not mentioned much is it seems international players are often in Odom's recruiting plans and that market is pretty quiet (secretive) so as to not alert p6s

we are gonna see what kinda of recruiting chops Coach Odom has - I am hoping for the best
Bam could be an off the bench microwave player on a better team. But on this lesser team, he should have started. We can not afford to lose Bam and not starting him on this squad by late January was a poor decision. Some people here preach starting doesnt matter. To better players -it certainly does. Moves like that will cause players to enter the portal.

Bam could be an off the bench microwave player on a better team. But on this lesser team, he should have started. We can not afford to lose Bam and not starting him on this squad by late January was a poor decision. Some people here preach starting doesnt matter. To better players -it certainly does. Moves like that will cause players to enter the portal.

Bam is on record for coming back.

so who are you sitting on this years' team to start Bam a 6'2" guard with at best average defense and someone who gets an assist every 40 minutes (don't get me wrong BAM helped this team and was instrumental in quite a few wins along the way after he became eligible)
I am not sitting my best defender Zeb nor my 1st team all conference player Shulga - so it seems you are suggesting a smaller team with less rebounding chops

that said I would have eliminated most of Jnel minutes from Jan on and given those minutes to Bam and lessened Sean and Max minutes too

my bigger disappointment in our rotation was not getting Fats 10 minutes a game minimum throughout the season- he has the same ability to string some fast buckets like Bam does (but doesn't have Bam's explosiveness to the rim) neither Sean nor max were so great on defense they could not afford more rest and give minutes to Fats

as far as people preaching starting doesn't matter - that was Coach
ThrashSoundly just told us to expect that from knowing how Odom approached starting/finishing at USU - he didn't preach it

so who are you sitting on this years' team to start Bam a 6'2" guard with at best average defense and someone who gets an assist every 40 minutes (don't get me wrong BAM helped this team and was instrumental in quite a few wins along the way after he became eligible)
I am not sitting my best defender Zeb nor my 1st team all conference player Shulga - so it seems you are suggesting a smaller team with less rebounding chops

that said I would have eliminated most of Jnel minutes from Jan on and given those minutes to Bam and lessened Sean and Max minutes too

my bigger disappointment in our rotation was not getting Fats 10 minutes a game minimum throughout the season- he has the same ability to string some fast buckets like Bam does (but doesn't have Bam's explosiveness to the rim) neither Sean nor max were so great on defense they could not afford more rest and give minutes to Fats

ThrashSoundly just told us to expect that from knowing how Odom approached starting/finishing at USU - he didn't preach it
In no world would I ever start Nelson. I would switch Shulga or Zeb to point and go with Bam as a starter. And I would prefer Bam to Zeb if it came to that. If we start getting scorched by Bams defense (or lack there of) then I might reconsider. But I could see the argument against it.

I agree with your Fats assessment.

and people here preach starting doesnt matter. I am not going to dig thru to find the receipts, but they do. In fact they will likely expose themselves after this post with their critique.

Not giving Fats more minutes was probably the biggest mistake we made all season. It became clear pretty quickly that all he needed was an opportunity to work on his defense, and he became a much better contributor toward the end of the season, with a lot fewer mistakes.

Well, that was disappointing. We will come back stronger from this. We are all good.

Time to hit the transfer portal! I wonder how the transfer portal and free agency is going to effect HS recruiting. Anyway, we had a very good season considering we had a new coach and had to build half the team over again. And although the final games was disappointing, you could really see the team and players come together at the end of the season and play some of their best ball. Hopefully we find the right mix of players so we can compete for upper/top spot in the A10. Depending on how the transfer portal works out, I think our future is bright with Odom.

It's amazing that we have basically been able to ride the crest of the wave over the last 24 years while also going through 6 separate coaches.

Not giving Fats more minutes was probably the biggest mistake we made all season. It became clear pretty quickly that all he needed was an opportunity to work on his defense, and he became a much better contributor toward the end of the season, with a lot fewer mistakes.

The problem is that in our losses down the stretch our issues were on the defensive side of the ball. We gave up >70 points in 5 of our 7 conference losses. That isn't a problem Fats would have solved.

If anyone needed more minutes in A10 play is was Michael Belle.

The problem is that in our losses down the stretch our issues were on the defensive side of the ball. We gave up >70 points in 5 of our 7 conference losses. That isn't a problem Fats would have solved.

If anyone needed more minutes in A10 play is was Michael Belle.
Very good point.

Back