The Official Beat the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City in the NIT Quarterfinals Thread

Utah;
FG % 46.9
Three % 35.8
Rebounds
Off 8.5
Def 27.5
Points for. 78.1
Points against 72.2

VCU
FG % 44.3
Three % 35.7
Rebounds
Off 7.8
Def 24.3
Points for. 71.5
Points against 66.5

Regardless of their length and (possible?) athleticism.....Rams are gonna
NEED
NEED
NEED
Joe Bamisile to have a game....

And yes, that matchup with Brandon Carlson is gonna be reeeeeally critical. I am genuinely hoping to see Rose out there for a bit.

Holy moly, they're 345th in team free throw percentage at 65.5% AND 19th in free throw percentage defense at 68.3%. That's a wild stat. I wonder if elevation has anything to do with it?

Here's hoping they're in for an unwelcome surprise in terms of how often their opponent cashes in at the line (and we aren't).

Regardless of their length and (possible?) athleticism.....Rams are gonna
NEED
NEED
NEED
Joe Bamisile to have a game....

And yes, that matchup with Brandon Carlson is gonna be reeeeeally critical. I am genuinely hoping to see Rose out there for a bit.
We could use one from Max as well. It has been a few games for him.

Amazing that our Rams are the last A-10 team standing in postseason play, given all the ups and downs during the season.
soldier-standing-alone-after-war-600nw-1328168246.jpg

Dare I say...... Flagship?!

Max and Sean return to Utah to face an old friend!

TV: ESPN2/ESPN+, Wednesday March 27th at 9:00pm

Radio: 910 AM / 105.1 FM / VCU Athletics app

Tickets: https://am.ticketmaster.com/utahutes/ism/MjROSVQwMw==

History: VCU has never played Utah before...this'll be fun!

Last Meeting: N/A
Interestingly, after playing each other every season from 1957 to 2010, Utah and Utah State have only played once (2017) in the last 14 seasons. The head coach of Utah, Craig Smith, was the head man at Utah State when we beat them in that MTE a few years back.

Interestingly, after playing each other every season from 1957 to 2010, Utah and Utah State have only played once (2017) in the last 14 seasons. The head coach of Utah, Craig Smith, was the head man at Utah State when we beat them in that MTE a few years back.
After Utah got beat down at USU in 2010, the Utes joined the Pac 12 and big timed USU from there on. They will likely never go back to Logan and will only agree to play in SLC which doesn't provide much value to the Aggies.

After Utah got beat down at USU in 2010, the Utes joined the Pac 12 and big timed USU from there on. They will likely never go back to Logan and will only agree to play in SLC which doesn't provide much value to the Aggies.
If Utah State can get them to play in Salt Lake, then they should take it. Don't hold out for the home and home. Take a one-off road game if you can get it against a top 75 school. It's a quad 1 game at that point and would be great for the Aggies if they could get the win.

Max and Sean return to Utah to face an old friend!

TV: ESPN2/ESPN+, Wednesday March 27th at 9:00pm

Radio: 910 AM / 105.1 FM / VCU Athletics app

Tickets: https://am.ticketmaster.com/utahutes/ism/MjROSVQwMw==

History: VCU has never played Utah before...this'll be fun!

Last Meeting: N/A
They'll also remember the starting PG (out injured) Rollie Worster from his last season at USU.

If Utah State can get them to play in Salt Lake, then they should take it. Don't hold out for the home and home. Take a one-off road game if you can get it against a top 75 school. It's a quad 1 game at that point and would be great for the Aggies if they could get the win.
They did I think the only year it was offered.

VCU's path through this NIT reminds me of URI's participation in the 1992 NIT. Had to win at Vanderbilt and then at Boston College (2OT) before being sent out to Utah where they lost 84-72. Al Skinner was the Rhody coach back then and they followed up the NIT the next year advancing to the second round of the NCAA after beating Purdue who had Glenn Robinson.

Utah will be like facing two Neil Quinns beside a muscular and skilled forward as the three across the front line. At the same time, they might have challenges matching up with us. It will be almost April and we are still playing, not many teams can say that whether it is The Big Dance or the Little Dance. At this point, every team that is still playing is an NCAA calibur team in both talent and play.

I like that K-2 has regained his shooting confidence and that over the last month has totally locked into the effort on defense and rebounding and it has made us better. Obviously it was great to see Fermin play with confidence and out young guys beginning to show some sophomore evoluation here late in their first full season.

We know from playing St Mary's in postseason in the past that like them Utah will make the interior difficult and will pass the ball well. We will need to team rebound and also hit shots to be competitive. I would like to see us extend out season into April and use that with our current recruits.
Their bigs are the same height as Quinn, but they differ a lot in playing style and skill level. UR ran their offense through Quinn for a good reason. He is a highly skilled passer/distributer. Utah's bigs are not out of that mold, though they can pop an occasional three. They will certainly be bigger, we will be quicker/faster at all but one position.

If we are hitting threes (also an altitude consideration, take lots of shots the next few days) we can beat them. We can make some hay in the interior with quick ness if we will be aggressive. Now hesitating, that will give their less athletic guys time to catch up and blocked shots will follow.

Totally agree, I like the K2 match up with any of their bigs because he can take them away from the basket. If they don't go with him, he hits the three.

I've seen this team play a couple of times, they want to play fast, but I'm not sure they have the guys to do that. They are very big, not necessarily slow, but not necessarily very skilled either. They make a lot of mistakes (sometimes seem out of control), particularly when pressured, but when they get it going, they can score a lot of points in a hurry.

Should be a fun game to watch.

Back