The Official Beat the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City in the NIT Quarterfinals Thread

3.jpg
4.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg

Max and Bam haven't really shot well the last couple of games, they're due. If both start hitting, we're heading to Indy.
Hopefully we can contain Madsen , apparently their main scoring threat esp. with the 3 pointer. He dropped 31 on Iowa the other day.

Game Day in the eastern time zone! #LetsGoVCU! Utah has to wait for there's unless they have double digit savings time. When is the last time we have played in the Mountain Time Zone?
Though this means absolutely nothing, I briefly watched some of the 2017 NCAA tournament game played in Utah. The team didn't appear affected by the altitude. And that squad pressed (not as much as the Shaka Rams, but obviously more than the current team). So my hope is all of the altitude concerns aren't going to be a big deal.

Ironically, St. Mary's had more size than we did which is a similar advantage Utah will have tonight. I'm confident RO has a game plan to offset the size situation...I just hope the players can execute it. Utah is 16-2 this season at home. However, they did lose to 14-18 Arizona State at home, so they can be taken down. We may need Wheeler to give us a few effective minutes tonight.

Last edited:
I could have sworn I've seen a NIT banner hanging in the Stu, but I looked it up and apparently not. Maybe I'm thinking of the CBI championship with Shaka or it was another sport (volleyball?).

Regardless, I discovered we actually HAVE made it this far in the NIT before, moving through Marshall and Southern Miss before losing to UConn 69-60 in 1988 under Mike Pollio
Southern Miss was defending Champs. We beat them in OT after barely escaping Marshall and their sea of green throng of 9,500 fans. We played UConn in their old barn on campus - Gampel Pavillion I believe. Seated maybe 3K. You couldn't hear anything. I was on the floor behind our bench. We led by 3 at the half. Future NBA star Cliff Robinson took over the second half. Moose Henlan got in foul trouble and JT (John Thompson) was just too slow to guard him..We had no answer. We lost by 11. Pollio said when he looked our guys in the eyes at half, we were gassed. We didn't keep the lead long the second half. It was a valiant effort after losing the Sun Belt Conference Championship game by 2 points to UNCC on our home floor. So close to getting to NYC !!!!

They aren't bitter about Odom's exit? Frankly, after losing three coaches in three years I might be curled up in the corner in the fetal position.
I’m sure their uber successful season eased the pain of Odom leaving

Back