The Official Beat the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City in the NIT Quarterfinals Thread

Southern Miss was defending Champs. We beat them in OT after barely escaping Marshall and their sea of green throng of 9,500 fans. We played UConn in their old barn on campus - Gampel Pavillion I believe. Seated maybe 3K. You couldn't hear anything. I was on the floor behind our bench. We led by 3 at the half. Future NBA star Cliff Robinson took over the second half. Moose Henlan got in foul trouble and JT (John Thompson) was just too slow to guard him..We had no answer. We lost by 11. Pollio said when he looked our guys in the eyes at half, we were gassed. We didn't keep the lead long the second half. It was a valiant effort after losing the Sun Belt Conference Championship game by 2 points to UNCC on our home floor. So close to getting to NYC !!!!
That last play in the Sun Belt championship game is a definite head scratcher:

My understanding is that Cheeks was the first and last option. Instead of screening for him we just assumed we could get him the ball. 11 seconds was plenty of time

Why do I feel like I'm stuck on the horns of a dilemma? I'm enjoying watching these games. It's a chance to beat some P5 schools that would otherwise never play us. True they are not the P5s that got into the dance so they are this year's leftovers. I'm still happy to beat them. Yet, the school is getting nickels for every game as opposed to $1M per game from the dance. Somehow I feel this is exactly the way the P5s want it to work out for the Indiana States, UNLVs, and VCUs of the world. Take your crumbs and be happy and alas we are.

Why do I feel like I'm stuck on the horns of a dilemma? I'm enjoying watching these games. It's a chance to beat some P5 schools that would otherwise never play us. True they are not the P5s that got into the dance so they are this year's leftovers. I'm still happy to beat them. Yet, the school is getting nickels for every game as opposed to $1M per game from the dance. Somehow I feel this is exactly the way the P5s want it to work out for the Indiana States, UNLVs, and VCUs of the world. Take your crumbs and be happy and alas we are.
Can’t beat the screen time, and VCU mentions on TV. Hard to monetize this type of advertising, even if it’s the JV Tourney.

My understanding is that Cheeks was the first and last option. Instead of screening for him we just assumed we could get him the ball. 11 seconds was plenty of time
The first and last option should have been Phil Stinnie, who was easily the best player on that team.

I highly doubt this 6 mins will translate to 15 mins realtime, is the alternate starting channel likely to be ESPNU tonight?

I doubt Odom feels content

Back