The Official Beat the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City in the NIT Quarterfinals Thread

If Fatz puts in the work on his D this summer he will be special. Get JNel in the lab with Theus. Belle work on finishing in the paint. Fermin work on hands ( strength and handles), footwork and aggressiveness. Return Bam and Zeb (I think Max is gone). She what Jennings has and fill all schollys in the portal.
Nelson has looked over-matched for quite awhile. Not sure what you can do to change that, even if he stopped all the dribbling.

Not sure I agree. I remember a couple of times when he was the only one keeping us in the game.
Maybe so. He’s definitely helped us. Probably would have helped us more if there weren’t so many times when it felt like he was our only real offensive threat.

Ever since he went 11/12 in the A10 semi final game, Shulga has struggled. If he is not hurt, something is going on....missing wide open shots, passing up shots, turnovers, a lot of poor passing, seems like his heart is not in it...We needed him tonight...

We're gonna need some tougher guys to compete nationally...or who want to compete. If I don't see some meaner, angrier, grittier faces, I'm going be wanting another coach. This team has represented the well-coifed tek vest all season. I think the vest and the soft boi lyfe have eaten away at the team's constitution and left their souls stripped bare.

It's telling the number of fouls weve drawn this season has maybe been the fewest in my entire Fandom of 20+ years. These guys don't like contact.

We weren’t really competing nationally under the last coach. Maybe sometimes in conference but out of conference and NCAAs we got slapped around. Simply getting gritty players isn’t enough. You need tough but skilled players.

We weren’t really competing nationally under the last coach. Maybe sometimes in conference but out of conference and NCAAs we got slapped around. Simply getting gritty players isn’t enough. You need tough but skilled players.

I see players with skills but not the toughness to execute those skills to the best of their abilities. I maintain my statement. Gritty players find paths and gears that others won't find. Briante Weber was a 0 star recruit, but toughness and heart find a way. Find me a team of those kinds of guys.

Ever since he went 11/12 in the A10 semi final game, Shulga has struggled. If he is not hurt, something is going on....missing wide open shots, passing up shots, turnovers, a lot of poor passing, seems like his heart is not in it...We needed him tonight...

I agree. Something seemed wron.

Stretch of the game that really killed us:

• 4:50 left in 1H, VCU w/ the ball, Wheeler illegal screen (turnover). Score: Utah 23 - 20.
  • 4:32 left in 1H, Wheeler falls down on defense. Utah hits a 3. Score: Utah 26 - 20.
  • 4:10 left in 1H, VCU w/ the ball, Wheeler illegal screen (turnover).
  • 4:01 left in 1H, Utah's Madsen hits a 3-pointer (shouldn't have counted). Score 29-20
49 seconds of gametime that took the wind out of our sails.
And all this time I thought Wheeler was brought in to give fouls. Nope.

We don't know what any of these guys may be dealing with in their personal life so why even go there?

I just don't like bringing up people's personal life into these discussions
That's fine and normally I would agree with you. In Max's case it isn't like this is a secret and it hasn't been discussed publicly before.

However, the worst thing you can ever say about an athlete is that they gave up (quit), and this was in the first half! Saying a guy sucks, had a bad game, isn't playing well, isn't very good...that's are all fair game, whether it's right or wrong. Saying a guy gave up and quit on his teammates and coaches...that's about the worst thing you can say about any athlete because that goes straight to his or her character.

Now, perhaps the person who posted that used a poor choice of words. If that's the case, and it wasn't meant exactly as it was typed, then I will apologize for jumping on that poster. I haven't seen anything to suggest a poor choice of words was used.

We love excuses
I don't see anyone excusing poor play. There is a big difference between an excuse and a reason. So many people sadly need don't seem to know the difference. This was about a poster suggesting a guy gave up (quit). That's all this was about, and it is the worst thing you can say about any athlete. No one is excusing poor play. The whole team sucked last night, with maybe one or two exceptions. Some guys haven't played well in a few games and some in a month or so. No one is excusing it.

Back