The Portal Process THIS YEAR

Agreed, it’s a meat market, always has been, but finally, players have leverage, so you start to hear stories about entourages and uncoachability. I do think the real ones do care about winning chips—just don’t care as much about program legacies.

The good thing is a lot of NBA guys are getting their stories out more via Podcasts and the like—-makes one appreciate how darn good that league is AND how scummy the AAU and college systems are….
No they dont. They care about NBA, taking care of themselves and their families, and CHIPS in that order.

And as much people wanna say these kids are on year to year contracts.... they're really not. At least not yet.

They're really on their 4 or 5 year contract.... because theoretically, if they were really on year to year contracts.... whenever their season ends & their contract is up.... then they shouldn't be allowed into the BDC, or get treatment from team Doctors & would be forced to go use Cary St. Gym to work out or go to MCV/or some other Doctors office during the offseason as soon as their contract is up & while "Free agency" is going on.

He11, even while kids are in the transfer portal, or have committed to their next stop already.... they're still using our facilities until the semester is over and they transfer out to their next destination.

In professional sports.... if you become a free agent... you can't use the team facilities, you can't use the team doctor... your told to clean out your locker on the last day of your contract or season & that's that until you get a new deal.

College Athletes don't have to worry about that kinda stuff. They get a lot more than they care to admit or truly realize.. because as everyone says "they're kids".
Their contract goes from Jun 8th or so around to May 12th (end of semester, whenever that may be). I don't know if kids who are transferring from VCU to another school are hanging at VCU between May and Jun or going to the BDC during that time. Of course, athletes who elect to stay on either hang out at VCU and the BDC or go home during that may/jun period. Some kids like Tobi and Belle may not be able to get back to england at that time. Not sure how VCU handles that with housing, food, etc during that off period. Still, the contract or scholarship goes from Jun to May

My solution to the Portal and NIL: Kids get as much NIL as they want...but they only receive it if they graduate. It sits in an investment pot that the college sets up. IF you transfer to another school...you lose your money...the money stays with that original school and then you have to re-gain your NIL pot of money at your new school that you wanted to transfer too. If you decide to go pro, you also lose out on your NIL money because you are going to make your money with a professional contract...either in the NBA or overseas.

This way the schools benefit from the NIL money staying with the program and only have to give it out those players that stuck it out. If you are a superstar player you will be able to either re-establish your NIL money at another school that you want to transfer to or get a good enough pro contract that it doesn't matter that you missed out on the NIL money you left behind. This also incentives the student-athletes to graduate in order to benefit from the NIL money.

These are not kids…

I think they guys stationed in the Middle East don’t need to be wet nursed and they are the same age
Really? You're comparing the military to college athletes. Hate to break this to you, but men in the military serving in hostile environments are much more emotionally and mentally mature than most D-1 college athletes who have been pampered and taken care of during their teenage years. What is it that the military gives the kids/young adults who join? A very rigid structure designed to teach discipline and the lack of chances to make poor decisions. Important decisions are made from the top down in the military, not by the 18-22 year-olds who serve.

College athletes have some team structure, which is great, but there is very little structure in place right now with regards to the transfer portal or NIL. Many of these decisions to transfer appear to be done immediately after a loss at the end of the season with little actual thought, which is why ~20% end up without a chair when the music stops. That's too bad for them and they have to own their poor decision. I'm fine with that, but the adults in charge of the system (the feckless NCAA) have not put any structure into place to help these young adults make a rational, informed decision about their future.

One caveat: there are no absolutes. There are certainly college players making rational decisions about transferring without emotion, just as there are examples in the military of some making irrational, bad decisions.

With age and experience comes wisdom for the vast majority of people.

Last edited:
Let me repeat something I’ve posted before. It is absolutely stupid and irresponsible to let the transfer portal open before the college basketball season concludes in early April. It’s a travesty and doesn’t necessarily help the kids. One thing that rarely gets any mention is how many of the kids in the portal don’t actually find another team to play for the next season. I’ve heard Geno Auriemma and Jay Wright discuss it.
There are ~4700 division 1 players. 308 in the portal as of this morning. That is 0.7%. Not sure how it is hurting anyone.

And no one ever reaches out until a player puts his name in the portal. No one would ever break that rule. :roll:
MSS was being recruited well before his last season with VCU was over.

Reactions: HBK
There are ~4700 division 1 players. 308 in the portal as of this morning. That is 0.7%. Not sure how it is hurting anyone.
According to FloHoops, there were 1,815 players who entered the transfer portal in 2023. As of mid-August of 2023, more than 800 had not landed at another program. I don’t know what the final numbers were (I’d heard 200-300 hadn’t found a home). You are cherry picking a number one week into the portal being open. If the past two seasons are any indication, then the number in the portal will exceed 1,500, which will be about 1/3 of college players.

Also, to use your numbers, that is almost 7%, not 0.7%.

Here is the FloHoops piece: https://www.flohoops.com/articles/11212960-how-does-the-transfer-portal-work-in-college-basketball

My solution to the Portal and NIL: Kids get as much NIL as they want...but they only receive it if they graduate. It sits in an investment pot that the college sets up. IF you transfer to another school...you lose your money...the money stays with that original school and then you have to re-gain your NIL pot of money at your new school that you wanted to transfer too. If you decide to go pro, you also lose out on your NIL money because you are going to make your money with a professional contract...either in the NBA or overseas.

This way the schools benefit from the NIL money staying with the program and only have to give it out those players that stuck it out. If you are a superstar player you will be able to either re-establish your NIL money at another school that you want to transfer to or get a good enough pro contract that it doesn't matter that you missed out on the NIL money you left behind. This also incentives the student-athletes to graduate in order to benefit from the NIL money.
I guess an illegal solution could be considered a solution.

Assuming you are thinking the athletes losing their NIL if they change schools the issue? NCAA runs it they can set whatever rules around it they want.
The problem lies in restricting the athletes in any way. Maybe placing restrictions on the schools could smooth things out in this transition period, but chaos may be inevitable for years.

The problem lies in restricting the athletes in any way. Maybe placing restrictions on the schools could smooth things out in this transition period, but chaos may be inevitable for years.
I would imagine it will be all about what the contract for their services allows.

So.... all the talk about the portal process. How about the coaching interview process.... (Yes I know this is a MBB Forum.... but...)

This just happened....

and rumor has it.... that he did the interview for this job.... The Day before the 1st round of the NCAA Tourney... while his team was still playing. LIKE WTF

Back