The Portal Process THIS YEAR

So.... all the talk about the portal process. How about the coaching interview process.... (Yes I know this is a MBB Forum.... but...)

This just happened....

and rumor has it.... that he did the interview for this job.... The Day before the 1st round of the NCAA Tourney... while his team was still playing. LIKE WTF

That's just wrong, if true.

Not saying I disagree on your stance.... But here's the issue

The difference between the college "transfer portal" & Professional Sports "Free Agency" though is, in professional sports when you're on a "1 year contract" or on the last year of a deal.... there's an expiration date & at that time you're a free agent no matter what.

Now the team you ended the season with has all the way up until the "legal tampering" or "free agency" window opens, where they are the only team that can talk to you & make offers to you.

So for example.... If Mo Alie-Cox's contract was up at the end of the season this past year. Up until the Free Agency/Legal Tampering Period... the Colts are the only team that Mo can talk to & the only team that can reach out to Mo.

Then once the "Legal Tampering" or "Free Agency" window opens.... other teams can make offers & Mo can agree to a deal with whoever he wants.

And then a short time later, players can officially be signed, but there's at least a week or two between when Free Agency starts & when deals can start to be signed.

In College Sports as currently constructed.... until a player enters the transfer portal.... No one can legally reach out to a player at another school & recruit him or make him an offer.

So for example.... Roosevelt Wheeler, until he entered the transfer portal.... Louisville was the only school he could talk to in regards to his future, and whether it be at that school or not.

If Wheeler enters the portal (which obviously he did) to "test the waters".... there's no guaranteed "safety net" that, if he doesn't like what he gets offer wise, that he can come back. Which could leave a player high & dry.

Players need to have the ability to enter the portal as soon as their season ends in order to maximize their time & offers before just picking any school that offers them something.... which may or may not be in the Athlete's best interest.

And as others have stated.... the sooner they get into the transfer portal... the sooner they can possibly get picked up & get enrolled at their next destination for the Summer Semester.

Pro sports don't have to worry about Academics and whether a player is "eligible" to play for them or if said team has the athlete's "Major"..... and when it comes to having to deal with transcripts of transfers.... I can tell you, for some students.... it's not an "over night & its done" situation most of the time. Some of them can take weeks to process.

And also in pro sports during that "Legal tampering" part of Free Agency... a player can agree to a deal with a Team B, but then change their mind & go back to Team A if they have a change of heart & their old team wants him back.

Plus lets be honest.... If the players know they want out, or coaches know that they are going to ask/tell a player that they should see a transfer.... then the Kids need as much time as possible to find a new home, so that they don't become one of those players left High & dry.
I think offering a safety net to make for soft landings is one luxury too many for these players. Soft landings run counter to life lessons. I don't disagree with the point about needing more structure to this crazy portal/NIL process.

So.... all the talk about the portal process. How about the coaching interview process.... (Yes I know this is a MBB Forum.... but...)

This just happened....

and rumor has it.... that he did the interview for this job.... The Day before the 1st round of the NCAA Tourney... while his team was still playing. LIKE WTF

I mean I question where the JMU coach’s head was at. Don’t get me wrong Duke is hot right now but they got leveled like they weren’t remotely ready then the day later he’s out after 5 days ago telling WP it would take something to leave and that he saw himself retiring there. Then off to Vandy? Special indeed.

This just happened....

Isn't that just how the coaching searches go though?

Generally I thought coaching interviews with other schools happened AFTER a team's season has ended.... not during the middle of a playoff run. Especially a Head Coach.

If they were going after one of Brook's Assistants or something.... I could see the interview happening while the team was still playing perhaps.

But to interview another HC who is in the middle of the NCAA Tournament preparation for a HC spot at another job..... To Me that's FKed Up!

I mean I question where the JMU coach’s head was at. Don’t get me wrong Duke is hot right now but they got leveled like they weren’t remotely ready then the day later he’s out after 5 days ago telling WP it would take something to leave and that he saw himself retiring there. Then off to Vandy? Special indeed.
P5 vs Non P5.... enough said. He wants that money. How much was JMU paying him? How much is Vandy gonna pay him?

Generally I thought coaching interviews with other schools happened AFTER a team's season has ended.... not during the middle of a playoff run. Especially a Head Coach.

If they were going after one of Brook's Assistants or something.... I could see the interview happening while the team was still playing perhaps.

But to interview another HC who is in the middle of the NCAA Tournament preparation for a HC spot at another job..... To Me that's FKed Up!

Look at how fast these coaches are leaving after their last game. FAU, Utah State, Washington State etc. These guys aren't waiting to interview after the season. People, however, are capable of multi-tasking and preparing for both.

Kind of ironic that Brooks left JMU (his alma mater) to go to Va Tech for the $ when you are talking about Byington. He left Ga Southern for more $ at JMU. It happens.

The announcements happen after the season ends, but a lot of these interviews and contacts happen before that all the time.

Maybe but that’s not how they are supposed to go. It’s not like the LBS HC who knew he was fired before their conference tournament. He could do as he pleased as he has a family and career to consider.

Look at how fast these coaches are leaving after their last game. FAU, Utah State, Washington State etc. These guys aren't waiting to interview after the season. People, however, are capable of multi-tasking and preparing for both.
It’s not about multi tasking. It’s about putting your best effort towards something. It tough for you to give your all to me if you are looking at leaving me and impressing the new person.

It could be different if they really wants you vs you trying to prove you deserve the job.

Let’s reflect. When at Rice, MR was set to get on a plan the night they finished , or the next day. Until ED called him. You think he hadn’t had conversation with that other team while Rice was still playing? It happens all the time.

Let’s reflect. When at Rice, MR was set to get on a plan the night they finished , or the next day. Until ED called him. You think he hadn’t had conversation with that other team while Rice was still playing? It happens all the time.
I hadn't heard that. Where was he supposedly going before Ed called?

Back