UofR or Hofstra?

Outdrawing those teams were because we traveled a few minutes and probally out weighed their attendance. Plus they didn't expect to win the games against Wake and Xavier I presume.

Most of the other CAA schools no longer have anything in common with UR. They primarily recruit their student population from the northeast and they are private. Also, dropping Hofstra for another Virginia team does nothing for the CAA footprint. The CAA already has media coverage in the Richmond market through VCU, so Richmond really doesn't add anything there.

If Hofstra bolts, the CAA needs to find a quality team in North Carolina, South Carolina or to the west in a neighboring state. The northeastern teams have already proven that they do not bring a lot to the table regarding media exposure and fan support. The northeast is a pro sports area, not a college sports area. That's why the CAA needs to go south and west. Also, WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER VIRGINIA TEAM!!!

Regarding my personal beliefs regarding UR, I do not want to see VCU in another league with them, particulary the CAA. That bridge is burned, and for those of you that remember the days when UR was in the CAA, they did their best to control the CAA and Tom Yeager. Let's not let convenience cloud our judgment here people!

BradRamFan said:
All this talk of UR in the CAA is nonsense. Why would UR want to come back to the CAA? With the exception of every now and again, the only way to get to the dance is to win the tourney. At least in the A10 they often have a chance to go as an at-large...who would not want that???

They don't want to come back to the CAA for basketball.

Here are some numbers to ponder:

From 1983 to 2000, UR won five CAA tournaments (all at Coliseum) and was a finalist two other occasions. I would estimate UR drew an average of some 4,000-5,000 fans for tournament action during that period.

Since '02, UR has won no A10 titles and been to no finals. The overall record is 6-8 in events staged in Philadelphia, Dayton, Cincinnati and Atlantic City. I'm estimating the Spiders A10 tourney games have been seen by maybe 400-500 per (almost no students) - maybe 10 percent of the Richmond turnout.

I can't think of a much better way to attract longer term fans, and inspire donations than to win a conference tournament and slice down the nets with hoards of your own fans in attendance - in your own backyard. Just look at VCU.

So where do you think UR is better off?

Also, consider this: every other UR athletic program (except football, which falls into an entirely different category) has been crippled since the conference transfer.

UR tried to be something they're not and are paying a steep price. Factor in ridiculous coaching hires and moribund student support (using local high schools for a pep band....Jesus, that is appalling on so many levels!!!) and you see what happens. I certainly don't hate UofR on a Pav-lovian level...but I could live with swapping them back in favor of Hofstra, who does ZILCH for the CAA.

Wolfpack Ram said:
Most of the other CAA schools no longer have anything in common with UR. They primarily recruit their student population from the northeast and they are private. Also, dropping Hofstra for another Virginia team does nothing for the CAA footprint. The CAA already has media coverage in the Richmond market through VCU, so Richmond really doesn't add anything there.

If Hofstra bolts, the CAA needs to find a quality team in North Carolina, South Carolina or to the west in a neighboring state. The northeastern teams have already proven that they do not bring a lot to the table regarding media exposure and fan support. The northeast is a pro sports area, not a college sports area. That's why the CAA needs to go south and west. Also, WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER VIRGINIA TEAM!!!

Regarding my personal beliefs regarding UR, I do not want to see VCU in another league with them, particulary the CAA. That bridge is burned, and for those of you that remember the days when UR was in the CAA, they did their best to control the CAA and Tom Yeager. Let's not let convenience cloud our judgment here people!

life is ironic
those were the arguments (verbatim)
to keep us from joining the CAA when they already had Richmond :?

Any way you spin it, UR made a big mistake by leaving the CAA. Not only has it hurt all their athletic programs, but I'm sure their alumni contributions have fallen off (not that they care with the money that E. Claiborne Robbins has endowed them.)

The worst thing for UR has been the loss of their natural rivalries and the interest in their men's basketball program. In fact if it wasn't for a personal crusade by the RTD to hype them I don't think anyone not associated with the University would gave a rip.

The only athletic program generating any interest is their FCS football team. Ironic that they belong to the CAA for that.

The return to the CAA of all their sports would be a huge benefit for them while the conference would have little to gain.

Years ago when no other Division I men's basketball program in the commonwealth would play us they did. It was a shot in the arm for us and opened doors. UR was also instrumental in recruiting us into the CAA. My personal feelings toward them are ambivalent. I am no longer angry at their treachery in misleading the conference and almost destroying it and I appreciate what they did for our program decades ago, but I also feel they made their own bed.

O

BigE said:
Wolfpack Ram said:

it's life ironinc
those were the arguments (verbatim)
to keep us from joining the CAA when they already had Richmond :?

The CAA was also not as recognizable nationally then as it is now. It was a much more regional conference back then and, yes, the same arguments were made about VCU.

Regarding Richmond basketball, take the Dick Tarrant years out of the picture and what do you have? Not a very successful program.

Regarding football, they have had two good years the last two years and nothing prior to that. They have in no way had the success in football that JMU or Delaware has had over the years.

The makeup of the CAA has changed since Richmond left. The CAA is primarily public institutions. Richmond just does not fit into that mold. Richmond no longer attracts students from the surrounding geographic area and the attendance at basketball games will only get worse as their local fan base gets even older.

The CAA does not need Richmond. I would much rather have a College of Charleston or an Appalachian State than a Richmond or Hofstra.

U of R belongs in the CAA... period...Attendance goes up because of the embedded rivalries with the other virginia teams....it just makes sense.... ;)

Back