Recruiting VCU Recruiting

I hope we get Williams back in the fold. I may be the outlier here when I say this but I thought he had more potential than either Mack or Murphy.

You can't have enough "pure shooters" IMHO. As we all know, the three point line is the great equalizer. You don't have to look further than our Final Four team for validation of this.

BTW, I applaud WW for looking to pull in another big. Having some help for Mo will open up our outside game. Last year under Shaka, it was (mostly) an "everyone outside" approach. Having another big target is going to stretch defenses more I believe - I wouldn't mind seeing more inside-out action.

My question with recruiting is do we really have a shot at guys like Cujo now? Obviously that was pre Wade. I am just guessing here but before some where almost saying Buckingham wasn't good enough for us only wanted cujo. I think the tables have turned and we would be happy to have Buckingham.

If we are going to get back to where we were recruiting wise (top 100's constantly, and snag a few top 50's), then we have do 2011 or something similar again to get wade some national notoriety. I am not knocking Wade at all (very happy with the hire), just reality is we aren't were we were on the recruiting trails at VCU i don't believe. Hoping these guys prove me wrong.

My question with recruiting is do we really have a shot at guys like Cujo now? Obviously that was pre Wade. I am just guessing here but before some where almost saying Buckingham wasn't good enough for us only wanted cujo. I think the tables have turned and we would be happy to have Buckingham.

If we are going to get back to where we were recruiting wise (top 100's constantly, and snag a few top 50's), then we have do 2011 or something similar again to get wade some national notoriety. I am not knocking Wade at all (very happy with the hire), just reality is we aren't were we were on the recruiting trails at VCU i don't believe. Hoping these guys prove me wrong.

Sure they do. The program is bigger than one person. Arguably, Wade was behind a lot of the recruiting as an assistant.

He's highly regarded nationally for a reason and in time that will come to fruition here.

I don't think anyone knows what our chances are with any of the recruits we were looking at 10 days ago. Some of the previously offered recruits might drop off the board to be replaced by new names. An entirely new recruiting board is going to evolve over the next 3-6 months.

I also don't think anyone was saying Buckingham wasn't good enough for us. We just had a serious numbers crunch and were going to be in a position where it might have been either Cujo or Buckingham but not both. That's clearly not an issue now. We should have plenty of room for both if they are still interested.

I do agree that something like 2011 is going to be needed to reignite recruiting. We don't need to go to the Final Four, but we do need to have a good year, get into the NCAA Tournament, and make some March noise. My guess is that many recruits are going to sit back and watch what we do next year. Our coaches can talk about continuing Havoc and making some minor changes, but that's just going to be talk until the product is put out onto the floor. Recruits are going to want to meet Coach Wade and hear what he has to say, but they're also going to want to see exactly what kind of system he puts on the floor next fall/winter and how successful it is. This is the reason I'm a bit concerned. If high end recruits wait until we've played a season before getting on board, then this coaching change hurts both the 2015 and 2016 classes. We'll have to wait and see, but I really think next season is important. We can't afford to have a down year while we adjust and the coaches learn on the job. Coach Wade and his staff really have to hit the ground running both on the recruiting trails and on the court.

I agree that the first round flameouts have to stop. No excuse for losing to SFA and we should have beat OSU. Call me crazy, but I think Wade can get us over the hump.

A good 2015-16 season will have a huge impact on guys like DeMonte and Cujo. If Wade can show the success will continue we will be in great shape and they will be interested.

I appreciate this thread and hope the top of it gets updated periodically. It is tough to go through the longer threads which is why I prefer newer updated threads that are shorter.

Please, please Coach Wade seal the deal with Williams. He has a lot of other offers but how many of those programs have room?

Thanks Heel for the updated list. I've been dealing with family issues and missed a week worth of posts, so I wasn't sure who stayed and who went in recruiting, along with who our next targets were. I really appreciate the info consolidation!

Back