VCU Student Athlete Graduation Rates

The University of Richmond graduated 92 percent of its student-athletes who enrolled in 2007, according to graduation success rate (GSR) data released Tuesday by the NCAA.

Virginia Tech graduated 88 percent in that span. The University of Virginia graduated 86 percent, and Virginia Commonwealth University graduated 76 percent.

This was from 2007. Our overall numbers would have good, except Track really brought the numbers down. Hopefully, that has been rectified in the last 7 years.

Last edited:
This was from 2007. Our overall numbers would have good, except Track really brought the numbers down. Hopefully, that has been rectified in the last 7 years,
I'm assuming track has the most participants (or close to it).

This was from 2007. Our overall numbers would have good, except Track really brought the numbers down. Hopefully, that has been rectified in the last 7 years.
Those are kids that ENROLLED in 2007. I think they wait 6 years after a class enrolls before calculating graduation rates.

Those are kids that ENROLLED in 2007. I think they wait 6 years after a class enrolls before calculating graduation rates.
Yes, I know. I should have said the 2007 incoming class. I'd like to think our numbers will continue to improve. Hopefully, those running the track team get their teams way higher than 44%. That is really a pathetic number. I would like to hear why they had such a low percentage.

Yes, I know. I should have said the 2007 incoming class. I'd like to think our numbers will continue to improve. Hopefully, those running the track team get their teams way higher than 44%. That is really a pathetic number. I would like to hear why they had such a low percentage.

no scholarship money in track and field like basketball - most are having to work and pay their own way to college and lose interest in T&F and drop out of school - IMHO not sure why VCU even has a track and field program (though we have two women that were in NCAA Championships williams and porter that made All American) I am guessing we have it because we spend little money on it and it helps us meet minimum # of sports required (I am an advocate of conferences and NCAA doing away with requirements to maintain XX number of sports to compete at D-1 level - come up with some other basis - that is part of the reasons so many schools lose money in athletics)
Freshmen on men's Bball team in 07-08 were Sanders, Gerald Smith, Rozzell, Joey R, Lance Kearse, Myk Brown, and Ed Nixon -

Track. 44%?

I don't see these numbers improving. I have a friend I went to high school with, and he was a pole volter. He came here 2009. Only lasted the year, and never even finished college. He was the reason I went to VCU after visiting him. Another friend I had in college. He transferred to VCU after a year at LIU. I know this doesn't count, but he was a third or fourth year in a very basic basic math class, and I don't know how he made it out.

I hope track and field stepped it up more on caring about academics.

Back