Veteran big men Reddic and Haley bullish on freshman center Justin Tuoyo

Mistachill

Elite Member
http://www.commonwealthtimes.org/20...d-haley-high-on-freshman-center-justin-tuoyo/

With freshman big man Mo Alie-Cox ineligible to play in games this season, an opportunity has fallen right into the lap of center Justin Tuoyo also entering his first year with VCU.

Fortunately for VCU, junior big men Juvonte Reddic and DJ Haley, both starters since their freshman season, are bullish on the young center out of Hampton, Georgia and believe he will make immediate contributions in the Rams’ front court.

1. Why do they consider Justin the first big in and not Jarred? Makes me wonder if Jarred is getting much more PT at the 3 or at the 4 when we go small...taking advantage of his ability to step outside and bring his defender with him.

2. If Reddick could play about ten minutes his freshman year around 205, why shouldn't Justin be able to play a solid 5-10 minutes in a role...as a defender and rebounder? It is quite a bit to expect Justin to make the jump like Ju, but not so much since he'll lieky just have to play defense and hit the Offensive glass, things that he is known for.

3. Was it Justin that a writer yesterday commented was very aggressive on the offensive glass? If so, it adds some cred to what his teammates are saying about him and makes sense since rebounding and blocking shots were his specialty in HS.

4. Nice work by the student writer. He interviewed players and on a subject that many think is our biggest question mark (not addressed much by coach), depth in the paint.

5. I sure hope he can give more than just minutes.

1. Why do they consider Justin the first big in and not Jarred? Makes me wonder if Jarred is getting much more PT at the 3 or at the 4 when we go small...taking advantage of his ability to step outside and bring his defender with him.

Based on what little I've seen of Jarred last season, I think he's going to be more of a SF than a PF so the statement makes sense to me.

Seems like a fair statement...we've all seen the learning curve from HS to D-1 frustrate a lot of young players (NOT just at VCU).

BUT
The guys with the knack for shot blocking/shot altering are usually able to replicate some of their HS success in D-1 (LS, Copes, Vanardo come to mind). We've all seen the tape of JT, and he seems to have that knack goin' for him. Would be HUGE if he could be that big energy Havoc defender for at least a few minutes

Seems like a fair statement...we've all seen the learning curve from HS to D-1 frustrate a lot of young players (NOT just at VCU).

BUT
The guys with the knack for shot blocking/shot altering are usually able to replicate some of their HS success in D-1 (LS, Copes, Vanardo come to mind). We've all seen the tape of JT, and he seems to have that knack goin' for him. Would be HUGE if he could be that big energy Havoc defender for at least a few minutes
Man, how good was Vanardo at State? Kid was the truth.

3. Was it Justin that a writer yesterday commented was very aggressive on the offensive glass? If so, it adds some cred to what his teammates are saying about him and makes sense since rebounding and blocking shots were his specialty in HS.

No Jon Rothstein was talking about Jarred Guest as being the first big off the bench and a great offensive rebounder.
Jared Guest has a chance. Really impressed with his energy --- especially on the offensive glass. Could be VCU's first big off the bench.
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/261192230553935872

I think Shaka said this a couple of times during media day, but he doesn't like to dwell on negatives and always thinks positive. That's a great characteristic and becoming of a basketball coach. I'm sure he's instilled that attitude in his players. You'll notice basically everyone on the team is a stud that's going to play according to someone on the team. I'm sure a lot is being said to boost confidence primarily.

Logic dictates that there won't be enough minutes for all these great players to play significant minutes. Teddy is the most improved according to Shaka, Jarred has been the best rebounder in practice according to Shaka at the tip-off dinner, Jon Rothstein says he think Jarred will be the first guy off the bench and great on the offensive glass, D.J. and Juvonte say that guy will be Justin Tuoyo. Melvin Johnson is an offensive microwave.

There's a pattern here, everyone's a stud. :lol: I think a lot of it is more coach-speak and trying to speak positive things into his players and encouraging the guys on the squad to do the same. We seem to have more players than we have PT, which isn't a bad problem to have.

I would guess that they consider him a true big versus Jarred who is a combo guy.

2. If Reddick could play about ten minutes his freshman year around 205, why shouldn't Justin be able to play a solid 5-10 minutes in a role...as a defender and rebounder? It is quite a bit to expect Justin to make the jump like Ju, but not so much since he'll lieky just have to play defense and hit the Offensive glass, things that he is known for.

Justin is very thin, very thin. Also, Reddick was a more skilled player at that point. Finally, need we needed Reddick at the time. We will go small and dont need Justin.

Jared. Also, Shaka stated the same thing at a recent reception.

4. Nice work by the student writer. He interviewed players and on a subject that many think is our biggest question mark (not addressed much by coach), depth in the paint.

We will go small a lot. We all know Shaka loves small ball. Therefore, absent injury we are fine.

5. I sure hope he can give more than just minutes.

I hope the most capable guy's we have get the minutes. If we have a few minutes in garbage time I hope we use them wisely.

Back