Recruiting Welcome to VCU Brandon Jennings!

For those that have seen him play. What type of impact will he have as a freshman?

Where does he fit in if our entire back court comes back?

I admit it's been surprising seeing his actual stats after watching him play, seeing the stats each time for me its come as a surprise, he's a sneaky player from scoring to rebounds.
Yes. i would like to see the complete stat sheet. Felt like he missed a bunch of shots and had a handful of turnovers. Oh well, really doesn’t matter now. Paul VI beat STAB in the finals. Would have been a tough match up for St Chris. Heck of a season by Coach Jones and crew. They should be pretty darn good next year as well.

Zach told me we would get a full read-out on his season's statistics (totals and percentages) in an upcoming article.

As for what we can expect from him as a freshman, my answer is not a huge amount, but that is because of my view of freshmen not of Brandon. He is a willing defender, is long, gets to the rim (and finishes!) at a high level, and has a nice stroke. I am pretty certain he will get some floor time and will grow over the course of the year. He will be an asset next year and, I think, a mainstay thereafter

IMHO, he is not a day one starter. How much he does or doesn't play depends on what the roster looks like. If he works, and I believe he will, I expect his minutes to increase by conference time. Again, hard to make any real meaningful guess until we know what the roster shapes up to be

IMHO, he is not a day one starter. How much he does or doesn't play depends on what the roster looks like. If he works, and I believe he will, I expect his minutes to increase by conference time. Again, hard to make any real meaningful guess until we know what the roster shapes up to be
I really see him in the Theus mold as a defense first point. If he's as steady as Darius was by the end of his freshman year I think we'll be very happy.

For those that have seen him play. What type of impact will he have as a freshman?

Where does he fit in if our entire back court comes back?
I feel that he has more potential than Alex Baldwin in basically all parts of his game.

2024-03-17-190341.jpg
2024-03-17-190320.jpg

I know everyone is excited about Mr. Jennings, and I am, too. However, we should temper expectations a bit. He's not likely to be a major contributor next season.

I'm not saying he's gonna light the entire world on fire year 1. But he's a VERY capable lead PG, the most valuable piece a successful team requires. You better believe we're quite fortunate to have him. He can score, feed scorers, strip the ball right out from under you, rebound at a high clip, is fearless driving into traffic and can finish at the rim. I am 100% thankful we're not facing him from the other side. Whoever was gonna get him was due to pick up a highly valuable piece of their roster. I'm even more thankful I first hand took the time to see him play live multiple times at the HS level. I know first hand what he's already supplied with, have an OK idea what he needs to work on, what to expect and what he is possible of growing into.

What got me way TF out there by myself three times to St Christopher's Lane on evening nights I'd rather not make such a drive, was not an OK/average player. He's verging on exceptional. I realize it's at a HS level. I enjoy seeing him play. And he's already got the tools to develop into a killuh at the CBB level, mainly, the most important thing- his head is in the right place to be a truly exceptional floor general.

Last edited:
I know everyone is excited about Mr. Jennings, and I am, too. However, we should temper expectations a bit. He's not likely to be a major contributor next season.
You're probably right, but he wouldn't be the first freshman PG to start for VCU.

I'm not saying he's gonna light the entire world on fire year 1. But he's a VERY capable lead PG, the most valuable piece a successful team requires. You better believe we're quite fortunate to have him. He can score, feed scorers, strip the ball right out from under you, rebound at a high clip, is fearless driving into traffic and can finish at the rim. I am 100% thankful we're not facing him from the other side. Whoever was gonna get him was due to pick up a highly valuable piece of their roster. I'm even more thankful I first hand took the time to see him play live multiple times at the HS level. I know first hand what he's already supplied with, have an OK idea what he needs to work on, what to expect and what he is possible of growing into.

What got me way TF out there by myself three times to St Christopher's Lane on evening nights I'd rather not make such a drive, was not an OK/average player. He's verging on exceptional. I realize it's at a HS level. I enjoy seeing him play. And he's already got the tools to develop into a killuh at the CBB level, mainly, the most important thing- his head is in the right place to be a truly exceptional floor general.

Amen brother. He’s gonna do some great things. Book it!

But I am sure he has an exciting collection of dunk video's that will get RN stoked.

Back