What'd you Expect!

rammad90

Elite Member
The season is early we are 5-3. Losses to Memphis, ASU, and Temple. We've beaten Vandy and Pitt. Seems like the mood around the Stu is that some expected more.

I was hoping we could be at least 5-3 at the juncture. I was praying for not worse. Would I have love 6-2 or better? Yeah. Did I want to beat three of the five schools that were from stronger conferences? Yeah.

However, I am happy with 5-3 at this point. However, I do expect us to win out in OOC.

I know what we want. We want to win them all. However, my question is what did you expect?

However, my message is What'd you EXPECT!

Last edited:
NCAA basketball is about your resume unless you want to pin your hopes on winning your conference tournament.

We will leave OOC play with a bad resume. The A10 has had its usual bad overall OOC resume.

What I expect is to be a solid at-large team. We aren’t. And we won’t be.

At best I was hoping for @VCU Heel expectation to have wrapped up up an at large berth (barring a meltdown in A10 play).
At worst I would not expect what @Ramdog listed -not fall out of top 100.
This schedule left very little room from error and with the talent we have, we should have picked up a quality win. I doubt we take our sloppy play and bizarre lineup choices and win out the rest of OOC.

But of course, the schedule isn't the coach's fault bc nobody wants to play us. And the poor performance isn't the coach's fault bc MR isn't taking the shots. And I'm sure if Fats sticks around for 4 years, MR will play him on senior night. MR is a nice guy.
Excuse me, my head is about to explode.

Last edited:
I know what we want. We want to win them all. However, my question is what did you expect?
I said in another thread that I’d wait until I was back in Florida before posting anything else but I can answer this without emotion.

I hoped to be only two losses in at this point but what I expected

• Compete each time out and we haven’t done that
  • Good coaching decisions and substitutions based on what’s happening in the game . Currently we seem to reward what happened in practice more than what’s happening in actual game play

I was expecting VCU to be around 40- 50 in the NET come the middle of December
i was expecting VCU to beat all the teams below the top 50 in the NET
I was expecting VCU to lose at Memphis and to Michigan (yeah we didn't get that far)
based upon who we played I would expect us to have one loss

because Ace missed game vs Arizona St - I can accept that loss
bottom line I was at 2 losses in my early thoughts and post Ace injury still at 2 losses

ASU will likely have a better NET than I expected - might be a tier 1 loss (neutral 50 NET) but no worse than a Tier 2 loss
temple will likely have a better one too and could get into Tier 1 loss territory for VCU provided they end up top 3 or 4 in the American con,
Pitt is going to be a tier 2 win - just don't see them climbing above 50 in NET in ACC but don't see them falling below 100 or so
memphis is solid Tier 1 loss
vandy a tier 2 or 3 victory

I am gonna speculate we get 3 Tier 1 away games in conference and no more than 1 tier 1 home game at best if St louis wins a lot - don't think Dayton at Stu will be a top 30 net opponent

don't sleep on the Jacksonville game at the Stu - they are probably the best team left until conference play and Navy next but just feel we will out-athletic them into 20+ turnovers (i.e navy)

unfortunately the optimist I am was wrong in a number of my expectations

Question - did our bench seem dead (not a lot of cheering for their teammates or was it just not enough bench shots after we did things)

NCAA basketball is about your resume unless you want to pin your hopes on winning your conference tournament.

We will leave OOC play with a bad resume. The A10 has had its usual bad overall OOC resume.

With our OOC schedule we weren't going to have a signature win. Maybe if we snuck up on Michigan.

However, even if we lose today (and we did) our resume isnt any more damaged than it would've been with two losses. At the end of the day, to expect us to win all our OOC games this season is unrealistic at best. To expect our guys to beat Memphis without Ace was also unrealistic.

So where are we? Yup complaining because we lost to Temple.

We lost four of our top 6 players. We had one kid come back from injury. Our best guy by far, missed four games. When he was down last year we had the same issue and outcome.

I think we all understand what NCAA Basketball is about as many of us have been around it for 40 plus years. We remember the lean years at VCU and how tough making the Dance used to be. We get it.

However, many of us also understand that while we havent exceed expectations thus far, given where we started we have a good chance to be at or near the top in the A10 regular season and if we continue to grow we will have a good chance to get to the A10 title game.

Not many teams at our level lose NBA level players back to back years plus a ton of role players and then are better off the bat in year 3. You stated what NCAA basketball "is about". I am hoping your understand how things typically play out and typically they dont playout with a better record than we have presently given the circumstance. Talent or not.

Finally, iif you stated you elected better play and less lapse, well maybe I'd agree. But better record? Seriously, Bad resume? Nah just not great but certainly not bad. Now if we drop any of the other games we might reclassify our OOC as bad. Maybe.

A side note, you must be absolutely livid about the state of affairs in Chapel Hill.

Last edited:

I'm typically a glass half-full guy, so here goes: Last year after 8 games, we were 4-4, with two bad home losses and two wins against Power 5 teams ('Cuse and Vandy), who finished 9th and 11th in their respective leagues. We sit 5-3 right now, with no bad losses and two wins against Power 5 teams (Pitt and Vandy), both of whom may end up in the bottom half of the ACC and SEC respectively, but that puts us in a little better spot than this time last season, I think. We have no bad losses, and that matters. On the other hand, we're 0-2 in true road games and only 1-3 away from the Stu. That hurts the resume. All-in-all, I think we're ahead of where we were at this time last season with regards to our resume, but our margin for error is slim.

Thread title is interesting... I would say I have to agree. It's not like VCU ever performs well in the early season formats. Not sure why that is. Shaka, Will, and Mike all had their issues winning early and it's so important for this program.

So ya, I got exactly what I expected. They should play the freshman a lot and get ready for next year.

The season is early we are 5-3. Losses to Memphis, ASU, and Temple. We've beaten Vandy and Pitt. Seems like the mood around the Stu is that some expected more.

I was hoping we could be at least 5-3 at the juncture. I was praying for not worse. Would I have love 6-2 or better? Yeah. Did I want to beat three of the five schools that were from stronger conferences? Yeah.

However, I am happy with 5-3 at this point. However, I do expect us to win out in OOC.

However, my message is What'd you EXPECT!
I was hoping/thinking/expecting to win all of the home games in the OOC, split the two road games and split the games in Brooklyn, putting us at 11-2. Let's assume we win the last five OOC games (a couple of them could be tricky), then we'd be 10-3. While just shy of my expectations, given that we played 4 games without Ace, I'm ok with it.

We’re not a top 100 team. That really isn’t acceptable. Not for the “deepest team ever”.
Currently the team is Kenpom 101 and I can only think of 1 game that they covered the spread. That historically isn’t good enough for even the NIT.

Back