What's is TAKE to be A GREAT?

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
What's it take to be A Great? What's it take to be a Legend somewhere, where your name and certain plays by you, is instantly recognizable? Is a Great made in 1 season? Like, in other peoples' minds, and not just your own?
Is being A Great even something in which anyone's interested any longer?
Is being A Great even attainable when you're bouncing from home to home chasing the next biggest bag, answering the player tampering DMs we all know is going on?
Are the days of cheering for Greats, or Greats To Be, something we'll ever SEE any more, ever again?

This one goes out to The Greats which made VCU GREAT.

Thank you for your service.

I think Joey Rodriguez is great! Maybe VCU's GOAT!!
I just don't know if whether or not we'll ever see A Great here ever again, much less if anyone out there playing now is interested in being A Great any more, and even if that attainable being in a place one year and moving on chasing what's more often that not, under the counter offers launching them into the "portal". People know, and people talk. People who know, talk. It's pretty obvious. I just wanna see a player come here, be interested in creating a legacy, and become someone out there we truly love cheering for.

Right now, Zeb might be becoming one. I don't know.

I just don't know if whether or not we'll ever see A Great here ever again, much less if anyone out there playing now is interested in being A Great any more, and even if that attainable being in a place one year and moving on chasing what's more often that not, under the counter offers launching them into the "portal". People know, and people talk. People who know, talk. It's pretty obvious. I just wanna see a player come here, be interested in creating a legacy, and become someone out there we truly love cheering for.

Right now, Zeb might be becoming one. I don't know.
We will see another great. This world has gritty , determined , diamond in the rough type people with a high moral compass and VCU is a magnet for that type of person. I think you had a great idea about being transparent and pay what we can afford in an even an open manner. You hhave to reframe the situation so that VCU is the prize -not the individual. It wont win many players at foirst. But after the dust settles, many of these player valuations bubbles burst, I think people will be lining up to be a part of VCU.

Probably have seen the last jersey get retired
Certainly of any players within the last 4-5 years on.... the only other player possibly I could see getting his jersey retired is Briante maybe.... But even that might be a stretch. Certainly no one since then.... especially since Tre's is already retired.

We will see another great. This world has gritty , determined , diamond in the rough type people with a high moral compass and VCU is a magnet for that type of person. I think you had a great idea about being transparent and pay what we can afford in an even an open manner. You hhave to reframe the situation so that VCU is the prize -not the individual. It wont win many players at foirst. But after the dust settles, many of these player valuations bubbles burst, I think people will be lining up to be a part of VCU.

I'll be honest.... I don't think we will see a "great" again at VCU.... certainly not anytime soon..... not unless some how we strike a diamond in the rough and land a player that ends up being a NPOY like Obi Toppin for Dayton back in 2020.

We will have some really good players, maybe even an A10 POTY candidate if we're lucky.... but the days of getting players to stay here for 4 years / their whole career are pretty much over for at least the near future.

And are we really gonna start calling 1 year rentals "Great".... highly unlikely. Not unless they come in, carve up the A10, win A10 POTY, are a NPOTY candidate & get drafted to the NBA the next year.... or players who single handily leads us to a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.

What does it take? Developing your basketball skills over a 4 year period........not chasing money or championships by jumping ship every year.

Certainly of any players within the last 4-5 years on.... the only other player possibly I could see getting his jersey retired is Briante maybe.... But even that might be a stretch. Certainly no one since then.... especially since Tre's is already retired.
I think Briante is absolutely the next one. He made a huge impact while at VCU. He was HAVOC. Who else? Melvin Johnson? Maybe? THAT is a stretch.

Probably have seen the last jersey get retired

If so, it's appropriate that Jabo was the first and, strangely enough, the last .... 40 forever.

Speaking of "greats," the real "greats" were the pioneers, many from the city, who chose a barren VCU program and sowed the seeds, allowing the rest of us to sit back and watch it grow and glow.

One more thing about numbers .... don't let me hear anything about Briante until Ed Sherod's No. 25 is waving in the rafters.

Back