League A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

What's the Money Breakdown for NIT. Is it worth it for "the School"?
Especially if you do Not get any Home Games?

It was mentioned the Peppas were not in the budget?
We are on ESPNU tonight - Do we get a Cut of that?
The NIT covers travel expenses and gives schools $4k for each game played. Article below is from ‘21 but there isn’t much information out there on the matter.

I can't find it, but I'm pretty certain I saw something that said the NIT payout is now up to $5,200 for each game played plus expenses. The NIT is a little more than breakeven for most teams.

The money ESPN pays to the NCAA to broadcast the games is part of the overall contract package, from what I understand, so no school gets extra for being on any of the ESPN channels.

As for the Peppas, a band NEVER travels to a true road game. Our game was at Villanova and tonight is at South Florida, so as true road games, our band will not be going. That's not a VCU decision. That's just standard practice for a road game. If you were Villanova or South Florida, would you want the visiting team bringing their pep band? If we make the semifinals at Hinkle, then it's a neutral court game, and we could bring the band.

The NIT covers travel expenses and gives schools $4k for each game played. Article below is from ‘21 but there isn’t much information out there on the matter.

Per the article, it looks like the NCAAs pays for all expenses (not sure what non-travel related expenses a team would incur) plus the $4k. I wonder how it works for hosting games. Does the NCAA cover the expenses for handling ticket sales, hiring arena staff, turning the lights on, etc.?

I can't find it, but I'm pretty certain I saw something that said the NIT payout is now up to $5,200 for each game played plus expenses. The NIT is a little more than breakeven for most teams.

The money ESPN pays to the NCAA to broadcast the games is part of the overall contract package, from what I understand, so no school gets extra for being on any of the ESPN channels.

As for the Peppas, a band NEVER travels to a true road game. Our game was at Villanova and tonight is at South Florida, so as true road games, our band will not be going. That's not a VCU decision. That's just standard practice for a road game. If you were Villanova or South Florida, would you want the visiting team bringing their pep band? If we make the semifinals at Hinkle, then it's a neutral court game, and we could bring the band.
Makes sense. I wish they had scheduled the semifinals to be played in a more interesting location than Indiana.

Per the article, it looks like the NCAAs pays for all expenses (not sure what non-travel related expenses a team would incur) plus the $4k. I wonder how it works for hosting games. Does the NCAA cover the expenses for handling ticket sales, hiring arena staff, turning the lights on, etc.?

I think the NCAA gets ticket receipts less costs of operations…..I imagine @rollins77, may have a better sense for how it works, given we hosted in ‘22.

Last edited:
Visited Hinkle Fieldhouse this summer. Tons of history in that building. Would love to see an actual game there. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that the NIT is playing the semifinals/final at Hinkle. It's a true basketball mecca.
I'd like to see them play at the Palestra sometime. Of course, I'd also like us not to be in it when they do. ;)

Visited Hinkle Fieldhouse this summer. Tons of history in that building. Would love to see an actual game there. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that the NIT is playing the semifinals/final at Hinkle. It's a true basketball mecca.
I look at it from this perspective: if we made the final four and wanted fans to come support the team, would a trip to watch a game at Hinkle be more of a draw than if the game was in Orlando or New York or some other city with other stuff to do outside of watching the games?

I could convince myself to travel to NYC for the NIT final four because I could combine it with a "let's hang out in New York" trip. I think I would need a bit more than seeing Hinkle to make a mid-week trip to Indiana.

I look at it from this perspective: if we made the final four and wanted fans to come support the team, would a trip to watch a game at Hinkle be more of a draw than if the game was in Orlando or New York or some other city with other stuff to do outside of watching the games?

I could convince myself to travel to NYC for the NIT final four because I could combine it with a "let's hang out in New York" trip. I think I would need a bit more than seeing Hinkle to make a mid-week trip to Indiana.

Butler is in Indianapolis. There are things to do in Indianapolis. And the cost is a lot less to travel/spend time in Indianapolis than it is to NYC. Also, Indianapolis is centrally located for all schools.

Butler is in Indianapolis. There are things to do in Indianapolis. And the cost is a lot less to travel/spend time in Indianapolis than it is to NYC. Also, Indianapolis is centrally located for all schools.
Indianapolis used to be referred to as "Nap Town" in the NBA because players felt all there was to do when they traveled to Indiana to play the Pacers was take a nap. I've never been to Indianapolis but I would bet not much has changed. This past all-star game in Indianapolis didn't exactly get rave reviews from the attendees.

Indianapolis used to be referred to as "Nap Town" in the NBA because players felt all there was to do when they traveled to Indiana to play the Pacers was take a nap. I've never been to Indianapolis but I would bet not much has changed. This past all-star game in Indianapolis didn't exactly get rave reviews from the attendees.
I have. Too bad our game got cancelled in the process.

I have. Too bad our game got cancelled in the process.
I've been to some crappy places to watch hoops (i.e. going to Buffalo to watch Maynor and the dagger), but in those situations the game was important enough to endure the city.

Back