League A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

I've been to some crappy places to watch hoops (i.e. going to Buffalo to watch Maynor and the dagger), but in those situations the game was important enough to endure the city.
You'd have to drive, but it might be worth the extra hassle to stay in Cincy or Louisville. Both are pretty cool.

Indianapolis used to be referred to as "Nap Town" in the NBA because players felt all there was to do when they traveled to Indiana to play the Pacers was take a nap. I've never been to Indianapolis but I would bet not much has changed. This past all-star game in Indianapolis didn't exactly get rave reviews from the attendees.

I was in Indy with the pep band in '96 for the Mississippi St game. We played in the RCA Dome. Cute little city, and it did seem sleepy. Much like my home state of NJ, Indianapolis uses package stores for all beer/liquor purchases....which was a hilarious conversation with all my Virginia friends. Just like it was "weird" for me to go to Richmond and see beer in the 7/11...they were weirded out by having to travel (by foot) from the hotel to the nearest package store. But, that Zima wasn't going to buy itself...you had to work for it :lol: :lol:

I would absolutely consider going to Indy if Hinkle was in play...It really stunk when Butler left the A10.

fun fact about the '96 tourney....The game after us was the Princeton upset of the defending champ UCLA with old Pete Carrill on the Tiger sidelines. Meanwhile, at the Richmond Coliseum, current Lakers HC Darvin Ham was shattering backboards.

aaahhhh, good times all arround...except for the Zima

There really is little money in the NIT. Its main value is the added free exposure it brings your program. You get tv and print which helps spread your brand name.
And we get shots at teams that we normally wouldn't get. Utah will be our second P6 game and our third top 80 game in a week.

In the future, while it will always be a struggle to get P6 schools to play us, playing teams from the AAC, like Memphis and USF, would certainly not be a bad idea. The AAC was the 9th rated league this season with five teams in the top 100. Get some home and homes with a couple of these and it wouldn't hurt our OOC SOS.

Last edited:
Anyone hardcore enough to travel to the NIT final four is probably going regardless of the location. Even at The Garden the games would only get a couple thousand folks.
I've been to MSG when we played in the in-season NIT several years ago. I'm not sure if you really need to be hardcore for a trip to NYC when a lot of k-12 schools are out on spring break that week, especially if you're on the east coast. That's a trip I might consider. Indy? Nope!

As for the Peppas, a band NEVER travels to a true road game. Our game was at Villanova and tonight is at South Florida, so as true road games, our band will not be going. That's not a VCU decision. That's just standard practice for a road game. If you were Villanova or South Florida, would you want the visiting team bringing their pep band? If we make the semifinals at Hinkle, then it's a neutral court game, and we could bring the band.
In the NIT, Bands can and do travel to the host site (Appalachian State sent their pep band to Wake Forrest in the 1st round this year), but the NIT only covers travel and housing for 25 people, which would be the players, coaching staff, supporting staff, and a handful of others and anything beyond that (Band/Cheer) would have to be covered by Athletics. I do believe that the budget and amount of people covered by the NIT increases for the semifinal and championship rounds.

And we get shots at teams that we normally wouldn't get. Utah will be our second P6 game and our third top 80 game in a week.

In the future, while it will always be a struggle to get P6 schools to play us, playing teams from the AAC, like Memphis and USF, would certainly not be a bad idea. The AAC was the 9th rated league this season with five teams in the top 100. Get some home and homes with a couple of these and it wouldn't hurt our OOC SOS.
In addition, this will be our 9th top-100 opponent in the last 10 games (the only one who wasn't was Fordham). This is valuable experience, especially for players who are returning next season.

I'm pretty sure we're 4-4 in the last 8 games against top 100 schools. We did lose those 3-in-a-row at the end of the season.
You're right. For some reason the chart I was looking at showed some losses as wins. Too bad.

I've been to MSG when we played in the in-season NIT several years ago. I'm not sure if you really need to be hardcore for a trip to NYC when a lot of k-12 schools are out on spring break that week, especially if you're on the east coast. That's a trip I might consider. Indy? Nope!

NYC is not an ideal place to visit these days. Lots of issues the city refuses to deal with. And now they have assigned the National Guard to the subway system. NO THANKS!!!

Back