NCAA Transfer & NIL Policies

I no longer trust what comes out of the Athletic Department in terms of information pushed downstream to us donors when requesting our support. For the past 5 years, the AD has said (with no regard to being true or false) pretty much whatever it felt would give them the most $$. I am pretty sure the collective will operate the same way. I am not going to even attempt to untangle the statements issued by the collective and the AD in where we truly are and what we truly need. Yeah, its there job to raise money. But trust goes a long way in the world of philanthropy.

Last edited:
VCU has one of the lower fees charged to students to support athletics. Beginning in July Virginia universities, just signed by the governor, will be able to make payments to the NIL. VCU does not have the major cost of having to support a division 1 football team. VCU is a large, state supported, university in the 44th largest metropolitan area of the United States. If our university administration and athletic department can't make VCU basketball, a long with other sports, highly competitive due to the NIL, there needs to be a major changes with those who run VCU.

VCU has one of the lower fees charged to students to support athletics. Beginning in July Virginia universities, just signed by the governor, will be able to make payments to the NIL. VCU does not have the major cost of having to support a division 1 football team. VCU is a large, state supported, university in the 44th largest metropolitan area of the United States. If our university administration and athletic department can't make VCU basketball, a long with other sports, highly competitive due to the NIL, there needs to be a major changes with those who run VCU.
Did this get signed? Because that could, and should, be a game changer for us.

And do you think those athletes are going to buy pizza for those "other" students that are taking out student loans to pay their NIL salary? That legislation, if passed, is going to receive HUGE opposition from the general student population and their parents.

I no longer trust what comes out of the Athletic Department in terms of information pushed downstream to us donors when requesting our support. For the past 5 years, the AD has said (albeit true or false) pretty much whatever it felt would give them the most $$. I am pretty sure the collective will operate the same way. I am not going to even attempt to untangle the statements issued by the collective and the AD in where we truly are and what we truly need. Yeah, its there job to raise money. But trust goes a long way in the world of philanthropy.

Yeah.... and remember all those fans that the Ath. Dept. basically pushed out the door.... starting right after Covid? Not to mention the fans who had already been pushed out the door donation cost wise prior to covid.

Imagine if we still had all those fans donating.

And do you think those athletes are going to buy pizza for those "other" students that are taking out student loans to pay their NIL salary? That legislation, if passed, is going to receive HUGE opposition from the general student population and their parents.
You’ll have students resenting their classmates. They’ll be thinking I’m paying extra to line your pockets as they look across the class room.

You’ll have students resenting their classmates. They’ll be thinking I’m paying extra to line your pockets as they look across the class room.
Sorry, but I see this the same as one student-athlete receiving a full scholarship while the person setting next to them in class struggles with two jobs to stay in school. The student fees are there to benefit the students. I'd argue that non-athlete students actually benefit from a school having a good athletics program. It is part of their "experience".

Some people hate everything. Some will hate this too.

I want to do whatever it takes to build and maintain a championship level program as long as nothing changes for me, no one asks me for money, it doesn’t come from taxpayers, student fees don’t increase and Coach Odom plays a style I find to be aesthetically pleasing.

-Publius

VCU also does not get the revenue from the massive television deals the power conferences are receiving. It doesn't matter how large of an area you are in when the overwhelming majority of folks living there don't care about the program and never attended the university. Our gym seats about 7500 people. It wasn't full last year. It wouldn't be any more full if the campus was moved to NYC.

Too many people want stuff and many of them are always looking for someone else to pay for it.

Sorry, but I see this the same as one student-athlete receiving a full scholarship while the person setting next to them in class struggles with two jobs to stay in school. The student fees are there to benefit the students. I'd argue that non-athlete students actually benefit from a school having a good athletics program. It is part of their "experience".

Some people hate everything. Some will hate this too.
Judging by our general student attendance I don’t think they really care these days. All we’ve talked about is the struggle to get students to show up. I imagine students realizing they’ll now be directly paying their classmates salary while they struggle won’t help the matter.

I want to do whatever it takes to build and maintain a championship level program as long as nothing changes for me, no one asks me for money, it doesn’t come from taxpayers, student fees don’t increase and Coach Odom plays a style I find to be aesthetically pleasing.

-Publius
The fans want transparency. Not this begging for money crap. It’s like a junky asking for money non stop no strings attached. The fans want to have an idea what the plan is. You don’t have to have fans ordering them around on how it’s spent but there needs to be some kind of transparency. This is not ok. We know some schools made payments under the table and stuff but now it’s all in your face no holds bar. It’s a freaking disaster.

Also student fees go up all the time but good luck trying to justify to students and their parents that it’s going up to pay other students. That should go well.

At some point, this font of fan-provided NIL is going to run dry for all except the biggest of the big hitters. Right now, it's new, fresh, and exciting to be able to pool money and go after players. Dayton's fans are a prime example of this short-term thinking. It won't take long for fatigue (and financial impact) to set in, particularly if on court results don't meet the expectation of the "investors".

I am fortunate enough to have disposable income to direct towards various and sundry diversions. I probably could've been enticed to donate via the traditional athletic department route as in years past, but I am 100% opposed to the idea of handing my cash over carte blanche so that a random mercenary player can be handed a bag to blow on a luxurious lifestyle in exchange for suiting up for my alma mater (to which he has zero emotional connection/investment) for a season. I doubt that I am alone in this.

I'll still watch the games, at least for now, but I can't be as emotionally invested as I was in the past. The playing field has always been tilted, but now it's like trying to play shuffleboard on the stern of the Titanic while she's sinking. The game is now all about who has the deepest pockets. Things that I love, such as great coaching, team chemistry/development, homecourt advantage/rabid fans, school history, etc. are all just dusty nostalgia.

At some point, this font of fan-provided NIL is going to run dry for all except the biggest of the big hitters. Right now, it's new, fresh, and exciting to be able to pool money and go after players. Dayton's fans are a prime example of this short-term thinking. It won't take long for fatigue (and financial impact) to set in, particularly if on court results don't meet the expectation of the "investors".

I am fortunate enough to have disposable income to direct towards various and sundry diversions. I probably could've been enticed to donate via the traditional athletic department route as in years past, but I am 100% opposed to the idea of handing my cash over carte blanche so that a random mercenary player can be handed a bag to blow on a luxurious lifestyle in exchange for suiting up for my alma mater (to which he has zero emotional connection/investment) for a season. I doubt that I am alone in this.

I'll still watch the games, at least for now, but I can't be as emotionally invested as I was in the past. The playing field has always been tilted, but now it's like trying to play shuffleboard on the stern of the Titanic while she's sinking. The game is now all about who has the deepest pockets. Things that I love, such as great coaching, team chemistry/development, homecourt advantage/rabid fans, school history, etc. are all just dusty nostalgia.
I couldn't have written my exact feelings (especially the second paragraph) any better than this. Well said, at least from my viewpoint. After 40 years of following VCU basketball, I cannot completely ween myself. However, the interest is gradually fading, for college sports in general to the point where I will ween myself totally at some point. I've gone from rabid donor and season ticket holder, going to all conference tournaments, some away games to taking a mild interest of watching all games on TV. I give no money for various reasons ( if that makes me a bad fan, than so be it). I have been on the boards since the Zone days and I love this place warts and all. I still love the game, and watching uber talented players making great plays, but my days of emotional and financial investment are over.

I liken this to going to an "adult establishment"...... walk in with great interest and enthusiasm, giving dollar bill after dollar bill to each "entertainer" hoping the next one will be better only to leave broke, dejected and frustrated while the "entertainer" goes laughing all the way to the bank with my money. At some point the light bulb goes on.

So what exactly could/would happen if VCU had some balls, stomped their foot down and said they weren't gonna play these reindeer games, we're offering a good competitive stipend equal among all players, but beyond that if you wanna proclaim yourself an NBA player and MAKE BANK, go iso a spot somewhere else? What.. would we end up cheering on a bunch of local/semi-local 2star/3star under-recruited players with some talent, in need of development, but excited to play for a good d1 program.. EXCITED ABOUT FURTHERING THEIR EDUCATION (!) PAID FOR ALONG WITH ROOM AND BOARD AND NOT GRADUATING 150,000+ IN DEBT? Instead of primadonnas? Sounds like what VCU used to be, actually. It'd be cool to see us making a mark instead of tagging along most likely never capable of catching up with these money big time baggers out there.

I liken this to going to an "adult establishment"...... walk in with great interest and enthusiasm, giving dollar bill after dollar bill to each "entertainer" hoping the next one will be better only to leave broke, dejected and frustrated while the "entertainer" goes laughing all the way to the bank with my money. At some point the light bulb goes on.

This is a great analogy!! I'll also cosign to much of what @VCU94MCV98 and Phantom said as well....I have 2 kids who are on the cu$p of college, aging parents in various states of decline, and oh yea.....I gotta work for another 20 years. I have more than a few hobbies that keep me happy and busy and all that...but as much as I loved my time at VCU in the 90's?? I will NEVER participate in this current boondoggle of NCAA $port$

to each their own, I'm happy to watch and cheer...at least for now

as for the "University paying into NIL?!?!" With the state of our country and the distribution and disparities of wealth run amok. I would be disgusted if VCU participated in that with monies outside the immediate realm of VCU basketball. ie ticket sales/concessions/apparel etc

Back