1968 Basketball Team Photo

Above photo is 68-69 VCU Rams ... Jabo Wilkins, in photo, never played for RPI Rams after transferring from Fayetteville State ... another player in photo is Jasper Rice (African American about 6-4, back right) .... does anyone know anything about him? Only played 68-69 - season in which Rams split two games with Virginia Union, featuring NBA first-round draft choice Mike Davis.

Don Ross is in that photo but he didn't play that season ... Cisco played one season at Cleveland State before coming to RPI for 67-68 ... he sat out 68-69 ... then played 69-70 ... he never played his fourth year eligibility (reasons remain unclear)

One more thing on German Club - they butted in line at Hibbs

Also among deceased Rams are Charles Chambliss, Charles Booker and Barry Sudduth from 69-70 outfit - final year for head coach Dees and assistant coach Brackin

When we played Cleveland St year before last, I sat right behind Ross' parents. Nice folks.

When we played Cleveland St year before last, I sat right behind Ross' parents. Nice folks.

Donald Ross Sr. passed away about 10 years ago .... he was a former CIAA Player of Year for Virginia Union ... sadly, Donald Ross III has also passed away - but not before setting some 3-point shooting records at George Mason

Don Ross Jr., who played for VCU, was the first black player at Cleveland State and among the first blacks at RPI/VCU ... at Cleveland State, he played under Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame coach John McLendon ...

Bighorn and other RamNation Fans,

I must confess my senior senses seem to be beginning to fail me--what the old "Ram' meant to say is that I am looking for a picture of the 1967-68 team, not the 68 team(which I just received). After looking at that photo, I am saddened to report that in addition to the folks you mentioned earlier, Keith Lawson and Dennis Logan are no longer with us. Didn't realize that Cisco Ross didn't play that much after '69. I do remember trying to 'watch' Bobby Dandridge when we played at Norfolk State--a real leaper!! I've actually spoken to Coach Dees over the years--seems to be doing well in retirement in Georgia. Am still trying to identify one of the guys in the '68 picture--may have been one of my teammates from '65 GWHS team in Alexandria.

Go Rams...

Regards,

Mike Meehan

Above photo is 68-69 VCU Rams ... Jabo Wilkins, in photo, never played for RPI Rams after transferring from Fayetteville State ... another player in photo is Jasper Rice (African American about 6-4, back right) .... does anyone know anything about him? Only played 68-69 - season in which Rams split two games with Virginia Union, featuring NBA first-round draft choice Mike Davis.

Don Ross is in that photo but he didn't play that season ... Cisco played one season at Cleveland State before coming to RPI for 67-68 ... he sat out 68-69 ... then played 69-70 ... he never played his fourth year eligibility (reasons remain unclear)

One more thing on German Club - they butted in line at Hibbs

Also among deceased Rams are Charles Chambliss, Charles Booker and Barry Sudduth from 69-70 outfit - final year for head coach Dees and assistant coach Brackin

Bighorn and other RamNation Fans,

I must confess my senior senses seem to be beginning to fail me--what the old "Ram' meant to say is that I am looking for a picture of the 1967-68 team, not the 68 team(which I just received). After looking at that photo, I am saddened to report that in addition to the folks you mentioned earlier, Keith Lawson and Dennis Logan are no longer with us. Didn't realize that Cisco Ross didn't play that much after '69. I do remember trying to 'watch' Bobby Dandridge when we played at Norfolk State--a real leaper!! I've actually spoken to Coach Dees over the years--seems to be doing well in retirement in Georgia. Am still trying to identify one of the guys in the '68 picture--may have been one of my teammates from '65 GWHS team in Alexandria.

Go Rams...

Regards,

Mike Meehan

After reading your initial post, I thought you were looking for 67-68. Confused my senior senses also.

Back