2015 MLB Amatuer Draft....VCU or otherwise

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
well seam-heads...the MLB draft is tomorrow (June 8th)...and I couldn't be more excited. I friggin love the baseball draft. I've spent hours going over Busts, Grinders, Naturals, Career Minor guys chasing the dream, and everyone else in between (except JD Drew)

So let's use this thread mainly for our VCU guys....I think more than a few have a shot....and to brag/gnash teeth about who our MLB teams choose or pass on. I know I'd love to see LSU 2b Alex Bregman fall the the Phils.

Let's Get Our Draft On!!!!

According to one of my friends...... keep an eye out for Daniel Lynch (think that name is spelled right).... this guy is pretty good for Douglas Freeman, and is scheduled to go to UVA next year.... however he might get drafted late in the draft outta HS.... prob will be late due to his injury that kept him out most of the year & just came back like a week or so ago....

Speaking of Freeman HS Baseball.... this is prob the worst way I've seen a team make it to States (HS playoffs)... and I'm sorry but if I was a Clover Hill player.... I'd be severely pissed.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/high...cle_042e1490-0cc7-11e5-99a4-a7012f2a6ab8.html

Clover Hill pitcher Kyle Hasforth pitched four innings Tuesday against Deep Run in the region quarterfinals. The game was suspended because of rain in the top of the fifth.

He rested Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, then returned to the mound Saturday for the semifinal game against Freeman.

The VHSL rule states that if a pitcher goes four innings then rests three days, he can only pitch three innings upon his return.

Hasforth started the game and pitched four innings. When the fifth inning began, tournament director Clyde Metzger held a meeting with the team's coaches. He directed them to keep playing, but said he would contact the VHSL.

So the game went on, and both sides knew a forfeiture could be on its way.

When the game ended, Clover Hill had won 2-1 in 10 innings and no word had come back from the VHSL. Freeman coach Ray Moore held what he thought was the final meeting of the season. Then he dismissed his team.

But before he could leave the stadium, he got word from his athletics director, Suzanne Criswell, that Clover Hill would forfeit the game. Moore told a few players who hadn't left yet, and they spread the word to their teammates.

I have never known or cared anything about the MLB Draft but if any VCU players are involved I'm interested . I will surely check back here for updates :)

I have never known or cared anything about the MLB Draft but if any VCU players are involved I'm interested . I will surely check back here for updates :)

Here are all the ones that have been drafted.... tho weren't there 2 more last year in 2014?...... http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?key_school=d1f75242&exact=1&query_type=key_school

Obvioiusly Brandon Inge & Sean Marshall are the 2 big names on this list to most people.... Cody Eppley has also had a solid career so far with the Yanks (is he still with them or did he get traded)...

I know Joe Van Meter, as I had a class with him one semester..... Also Scott Sizemore came from VCU.

Draft sub plots

• College vs HS...by all accounts, this is a weak and somewhat weird draft. No real consensus #1, but it looks like three SS will go in the top 3 or 4.
  • MLB children...Mike Cameron's son Daz is the 5th ranked player (HS), Phil Nevin's son Tyler is a power hitting 3B (HS), Eli Marrero's son Elih is a squat catcher (surprise)...Mile Matheny, Terry Shumpert, Kirk Gibson all have sons in the Top 200. Mariano Rivera's som went to Iona and has a 96 MPH fastball
  • Physical Specimens...Nolan Long is 6'10" 240 lbs RHP who also plays on Wagners BB team. Kyle Cody is a 6'7" 245 lbs RHP out of UK.....like most giants, they are somewhat inconsistent, but so was Randy Johnson and Jon Rauch before they figured it out
  • Injured players who dropped in the rankings but are possibly worth reaching on. Brady Aiken (last years #1), Mike Matuella (former Top 5 ranking) both need TJ surgery.

According to one of my friends...... keep an eye out for Daniel Lynch (think that name is spelled right).... this guy is pretty good for Douglas Freeman, and is scheduled to go to UVA next year.... however he might get drafted late in the draft outta HS.... prob will be late due to his injury that kept him out most of the year & just came back like a week or so ago....

Speaking of Freeman HS Baseball.... this is prob the worst way I've seen a team make it to States (HS playoffs)... and I'm sorry but if I was a Clover Hill player.... I'd be severely pissed.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/high...cle_042e1490-0cc7-11e5-99a4-a7012f2a6ab8.html
Hahaha little do you know I'm on Freeman Varsity. Yeah, we're all hoping for Daniel to get drafted, he's absolutely dealt every time he gets on the mound, but has only pitched a few games this year due to back injury. We had a KC Royals scout at our practice last week, and many more in previous weeks. Should be interesting. And trust me we Freeman players feel bad about Clover Hill not making states, but to be frank we are so darn excited, especially since Daniel is back.

Hahaha little do you know I'm on Freeman Varsity. Yeah, we're all hoping for Daniel to get drafted, he's absolutely dealt every time he gets on the mound, but has only pitched a few games this year due to back injury. We had a KC Royals scout at our practice last week, and many more in previous weeks. Should be interesting. And trust me we Freeman players feel bad about Clover Hill not making states, but to be frank we are so darn excited, especially since Daniel is back.

Yeah I remember he pitched against us the first game of the year (I'm a Lee-Davis Alum).... and I saw him pitch before as well.... the kid can pitch.

And yeah I can only imagine what's going through Clover Hill's players minds... especially the pitcher who was the subject of this whole issue.

Yeah I remember he pitched against us the first game of the year (I'm a Lee-Davis Alum).... and I saw him pitch before as well.... the kid can pitch.

And yeah I can only imagine what's going through Clover Hill's players minds... especially the pitcher who was the subject of this whole issue.
It's the coach's fault, as he acknowledged. Just an odd situation. Daniel threw 2 innings for us that night and K'd 4 of the 6 he faced. Wish we knew earlier so we could have not used him.

It's the coach's fault, as he acknowledged. Just an odd situation. Daniel threw 2 innings for us that night and K'd 4 of the 6 he faced. Wish we knew earlier so we could have not used him.

Yeah trust me I know it's the coaches fault.... and yeah, but hey at least you know he's back & healthy.

Mets pick the Miami 3rd baseman David Thompson in the 4th round

Draft sub plots

• College vs HS...by all accounts, this is a weak and somewhat weird draft. No real consensus #1, but it looks like three SS will go in the top 3 or 4.
  • MLB children...Mike Cameron's son Daz is the 5th ranked player (HS), Phil Nevin's son Tyler is a power hitting 3B (HS), Eli Marrero's son Elih is a squat catcher (surprise)...Mile Matheny, Terry Shumpert, Kirk Gibson all have sons in the Top 200. Mariano Rivera's som went to Iona and has a 96 MPH fastball
  • Physical Specimens...Nolan Long is 6'10" 240 lbs RHP who also plays on Wagners BB team. Kyle Cody is a 6'7" 245 lbs RHP out of UK.....like most giants, they are somewhat inconsistent, but so was Randy Johnson and Jon Rauch before they figured it out
  • Injured players who dropped in the rankings but are possibly worth reaching on. Brady Aiken (last years #1), Mike Matuella (former Top 5 ranking) both need TJ surgery.
Red Sox take Tate Matheny (cf), son of Mike

I've heard from DSF Superfan Joey Perry that Ray Moore and Larry Parpart called the VHSL multiple times pressing on them to DQ Clover Hill. Pretty sad IMHO, his daddy would have never made such a move. I expect better from the Moore family. As far as Parpart goes, he has in the past tried to get Hermitage and Tucker bball players DQed, so it doesn't surprise me as much.

I've heard from DSF Superfan Joey Perry that Ray Moore and Larry Parpart called the VHSL multiple times pressing on them to DQ Clover Hill. Pretty sad IMHO, his daddy would have never made such a move. I expect better from the Moore family. As far as Parpart goes, he has in the past tried to get Hermitage and Tucker bball players DQed, so it doesn't surprise me as much.

I know Joey.... and that is interesting.... I don't know Ray Moore or Larry Parpart....

On one hand.... if they did in fact call VHSL multiple times to get Clover Hill DQ'd.... it's very sad because.... they couldn't just go out there and beat Clover Hill... when on paper I believe record wise they were the better team.... yet they couldn't beat them.....

On the other hand.... if it is true.... I understand why they did it because.... Why should 1 team be allowed to break the rules & use a pitcher over the innings limit, and the other team who understood the rules could not..... however had Freeman gone out there and just beat Clover Hill.... this would be a non issue.... but because they lost, and because they realized that Clover Hill was breaking a rule set for pitchers by the VHSL..... this gets them to states, when otherwise.... their season would be over.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
I'm just not going to comment much on this hearsay besides the fact that you're fairly wrong on this. We were with Coach Moore the entire time, our AD was the one that sent the appeal. And Ken, as a good coach would, was encouraging that the rules should be followed and enforced. Lastly, I'd watch out if I were you before you start trying to denigrate Ray Moore. You're speaking about a man who will go down as a legend in Richmond (just look at his coaching record and D1 players he developed), with a bigger legacy than his father. He is a stalwart for following protocol, rules, and etiquette for baseball. He never gets in an umpire's face, and never speaks bad about another team or umpire crew. Every loss we ever have is our own fault. Yes, you hate to see it happen, but rules need to be enforced, or else what precedent do we set? [/COLOR]

Back