Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

In our last butt kicking I wonder how much MRs unconventional lineups played into it. He was playing some of these guys together that we hadn’t seen much of except for possibly late in games. I know MR knew what these guys were capable of so maybe his strategy was to show SM looks they hadn’t seen before.?. To be transparent we were more than a little confused and didn’t really see any noticeable change in the flow of the game. So I wonder if coaching didn’t play a significant role in our last loss.
Agree. Some of those line ups were head scratching. Like why are you throwing those guys in NOW after not really playing them all year? I was baffled.

In our last butt kicking I wonder how much MRs unconventional lineups played into it. He was playing some of these guys together that we hadn’t seen much of except for possibly late in games. I know MR knew what these guys were capable of so maybe his strategy was to show SM looks they hadn’t seen before.?. To be transparent we were more than a little confused and didn’t really see any noticeable change in the flow of the game. So I wonder if coaching didn’t play a significant role in our last loss.
It did. Our entire staff and team looked lost out there. Considering it was coming off being stopped from playing in the tourney more than once, I just did not at all expect it to go like that.

I'd add Brandon to that list - he knew what he wanted to do but was very frustrated trying to do it (which eventually led to a pure aggravation foul late)
The way the game was called was frustrating. In most games he would have been parading to the foul line, in this one the 4 and 5 for St. Mary's played 38 minutes each and picked up a total of 5 fouls between them. Heavy contact on a post player or driver inside was just not called on St. Mary's. Good example was the "no call" that ended up getting Rhoades the tech.

The way the game was called was frustrating. In most games he would have been parading to the foul line, in this one the 4 and 5 for St. Mary's played 38 minutes each and picked up a total of 5 fouls between them. Heavy contact on a post player or driver inside was just not called on St. Mary's. Good example was the "no call" that ended up getting Rhoades the tech.
Super frustrating that their two star guards were total non-factors and they still killed us.

We lost Briante Weber for the season in 2015 and went on to win 4 games in Brooklyn and almost beat Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament. That team had a lot of players recruited while we were in the CAA and played in a much better A10.

Bri might not have been our best player, but he was the key to our defense and the heart and soul of our team. It’s not unrealistic to expect a team to be built to make it through a major injury.
Bri wasnt the Alpha. Treveon Graham was the Alpha. Tre was Batman Bri wasnt even our offensive Robin. He was our 4th leading scorer. He was 2nd in assists.

Melvin Johnson was our 2nd leading scorer, and JeQuan was our 3rd Bri was 4th.

Bri was never the guy you were going to give the ball and say take us home. Tre all day every day, Melvin yep, JeQuan could plus we had Tilly, Larrier, Big Mo Alie as the anchor.

Bri for his unique skillset and his all Defensive selections he never, ever, made All conference in either the CAA or the A10.

So you cannot compare losing our leading scorer, best defender, assist leader, steals leader, and more important the "straw that stirs the drink" on a team that is talented but not as talented as Shaka's teams to losing an all world defender, steals leader, and a guy who's offense wasnt really counted on.

its just not the same. But even if it was, that Ohio State team wasnt nearly as good as the SMC team we faced. Ohio State was just Russell, SMC was a legit top 20 team that was so deep it was a guy off the bench that beat us not their usual stars.

Last edited:
Not really. I was talking about watching the team. I felt like that was one of the most underwhelming yet achieving team I have watched at VCU. I had fun at the end of A10 play and then they reverted to the Jax and Bona games.
We started the year with just one seasoned starter in Ace. All the other players were limited role bench players. Plus three of the potential starters were just coming off a freshman bench role campaign. Even the transfers were all role players (or taking a large step up in competition).
Over the course of the season, the team did exactly what you would expect a very good team would do......it got better every single month of the season, peaking with a long winning run to finish out the season. If you actually watched, you would have seen all the individual players move from being role players to high level starters over the course of the year. You could see them grow and develop into a very strong and talented cohesive team. I would loved to have seen that team stay together and bring all the development and skill to the new season. I think that team would have done a lot of damage in the upcoming preseason tournament. But it was not to be. Still, seeing that team group over the season was wonderful.

Back