Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

Jarred is in a precarious position.
  • He hasn’t played competitive basketball in2.5 years
  • I think he just posted this week something about finishing rehab or something so that being the case, he can actually “workout” for teams
  • There are 100’s of kids still available from the portal that actually played last year and have recent tape(I’ll look to see how many after the NBA withdrawals)
  • If he stays at VCU then I question how much he wants to play. JMac entered the portal before the staff change to get playing time. It’s hard to see how JMac who hasn’t played in 2.5 years would beat out anyone on the roster for playing time
Hypothetically, suppose he changes his mind and wants to give it another shot here. What do you do? I understand that the previous regime recruited him and RO has no ties or obligations to him. However, the optics would be kinda tough to send him packing given the terrible situations he's had to endure. But could we afford to burn a scholarship on him?

I know this is all hypothetical, but that would be a tough call. The business side of me says we gotta do what we gotta do. The human side says otherwise.

I respect your opinion N Mollen but I would love to see him matriculate here. If he can be a major contributor somewhere else, that would be cool.

Roster-wise, Ryan Odom and his staff have thus far signed/retained a collection of (what some might consider) mostly spare parts (relatively inefficient (to date) offensive players with minimal track record of proven high-level D-1 defensive capability). All 12 kids (counting Patrick) come with some limitations (demonstrated skill sets, on-court D-1 experience, strength, athleticism, size) and or something to prove.

Scholly #13, IMO, is very important (particularly if Bamisile sits out). Right now, it appears the only true “Alpha Dog” candidate on this roster, sans Bamisile, may be 19-yr old Michael Belle. I do, however, see several potential “contributor” (3rd-6th scorer) types (Bairstow, Shulga, Kuany, Zeb).

With Bamisile availability in limbo, if I’m Odom (and staff), I’m still scouring the landscape for the best 6’3”-6’7” proven perimeter scorer/player I can get (i.e. Bamisile backfill). Wing quality/depth (6’3”-6’7” types) is imperative (like Watkins, Jackson, Shriver, Nunn, Kern, Banks last yr).

Recent NCAA appearances:
In 2019, we had Evans (1st team A-10).
In 2021, we had Hyland (1st team A-10).
In 2023, we had Baldwin (1st team A-10).
In 2024, (Alpha/Leader??)

In college, decent-sized versatile wings (6’6-6’7 types) with the proper body type can usually help man the four (4) as we’ve seen in the past (Graham, Burgess, Williams, Watkins, etc) and provide great lineup versatility/flexibility. I’d prefer to have a stable of these guys.

Last edited:
Hypothetically, suppose he changes his mind and wants to give it another shot here. What do you do? I understand that the previous regime recruited him and RO has no ties or obligations to him. However, the optics would be kinda tough to send him packing given the terrible situations he's had to endure. But could we afford to burn a scholarship on him?

I know this is all hypothetical, but that would be a tough call. The business side of me says we gotta do what we gotta do. The human side says otherwise.
Hypothetically, you leave the door open until either A.) you find the can‘t pass on player for the 13th scholarship or B.) until classes start in August. If he truly wants to play, I have advocated that he go to VUU or VSU for example and get some footage then come back up next year. He is a grad transfer so he doesn’t have to worry about sitting.

Regardless, history will be kind on the decision either way. If he stays history wont blame him for what happens next year and If he goes history will only care how the players here perform. For example, history is much harder on MSS graduating and leaving than it is on MR sending PJ Byrd packing in favor of signing Bones

Roster-wise, Ryan Odom and his staff have thus far signed/retained a collection of (what some might consider) mostly spare parts (relatively inefficient (to date) offensive players with minimal track record of proven high-level D-1 defensive capability). All 12 kids (counting Patrick) come with some limitations (demonstrated skill sets, on-court D-1 experience, strength, athleticism, size) and or something to prove.

Scholly #13, IMO, is very important (particularly if Bamisile sits out). Right now, it appears the only true “Alpha Dog” candidate on this roster, sans Bamisile, may be 19-yr old Michael Belle. I do, however, see several potential “contributor” (3rd-6th scorer) types (Bairstow, Shulga, Kuany, Zeb).

With Bamisile availability in limbo, if I’m Odom (and staff), I’m still scouring the landscape for the best 6’3”-6’7” proven perimeter scorer/player I can get (i.e. Bamisile backfill). Wing quality/depth (6’3”-6’7” types) is imperative (like Watkins, Jackson, Shriver, Nunn, Kern, Banks last yr).

Recent NCAA appearances:

In college, decent-sized versatile wings (6’6-6’7 types) can usually help man the four (4) as we’ve seen in the past (Graham, Burgess, Williams, Watkins, etc) and provide great lineup versatility/flexibility. I’d prefer to have a stable of these guys.
You are so tiresome.

Recent NCAA appearances:

In college, decent-sized versatile wings (6’6-6’7 types) can usually help man the four (4) as we’ve seen in the past (Graham, Burgess, Williams, Watkins, etc) and provide great lineup versatility/flexibility. I’d prefer to have a stable of these guys.
I don’t disagree with the premise here but here is something I found funny, “Zeb” you list as a potential contributor but “Jackson” was listed in the wing quality/ depth type that it would b imperative to get. So my question is doe Zeb Jackson use two scholly’s and get two different numbers depending on how he plays :lol: 8-):D

Back