Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

Does it really make a difference?

There is a difference of opinion. Both could be correct dependent upon how you look at it.

However, at the end of the day, we have who we have and they are pretty solid.
That is what my buddy, Schrodinger, keeps telling me...

I hate housesitting for him…

I ask “ Is your pet in the house or not?”

Always his response “Yes”

Last edited:
Well actually it is a miss. He wanted him he didnt get him. No shame in that.

However, if you want a player especially someone you have coached and developed its a miss.

Not really. Ashworth was never in for VCU. I would not consider that a miss. @N Mollen I can tell you that he got everyone he wanted except Reid. You don't have to believe it but it is true. He wanted Ashworth but he knew off the bat that it was not gonna happen.
The only reason Ashworth was on any list tied to VCU was that his coach of 2 years came to Richmond. He was never realistically coming back east. I would not say this is a miss for Odom. Sure Odom probably talked to him and told him he'd love to see him in Black and Gold, but this wasn't ever in the cards.
BYU missed on Ashworth. He was essentially groomed to play there from birth, and BYU passed on him out of high school. Then when Ashworth showed up their team and class, BYU amped up their effort to get him. It was very likely going to happen until Creighton put on the full court pre$$.

But who can disagree about meaningful arguments? The roster looks OK but who knows? Lots of unknowns but I guess we have to expect it in this day and age.

GO RAMS!
Beat Nittany Lions!!

(BTW what is a Nittany?}

Roster Construction 5/15/23

Generally, your Top 8-9 will get the lion's share of the playing time (200 minutes). That's the group that does the heavy lifting.

By comparison..............see below. Still a few question marks (unknowns). Parens = uncommitted/unsigned and or unsure of 2023-24 eligibility.

2022-23 vs 2023-24

Starters
1)
Baldwin vs Shulga
2) Nunn vs (Bamisile)
3) Kern vs Bairstow
4) Johns vs Belle
5) Deloach vs Wheeler
------------ ------------------
Rotation
6)
Jackson vs Nelson
7) Shriver vs Jackson
8) Watkins vs Billups
9) Banks vs Kuany
--------- -------------------
Others
10)
Fermin vs Fermin
11) Lawal vs Lawal
12) Billups vs (Patrick)
13) McAllister vs (TBD)

Questions:
1)
Will Bamisile get a waiver?

Assumptions:
1)
Shulga/Bairstow - they both started last yr and played 30+ mpg; imagine that's the "promise/expectation" here too
2) Bamisile - if waiver is (expected to be) granted, gotta believe starter/significant role is likely expected (Big 12 to A-10)

Observations:
1)
Jackson - at 6'5," can be perimeter "swiss army knife" (6th man; PG, SG, SF; or starter if someone gets hurt/is ineligible)
2) 13th scholly - hope we keep it open in hopes for a late spring/early-mid summer surprise (decommit/reclassify)

6/10/23

Minutes projections (200):

Starters (117)

Shulga (Sr) - 27
Bairstow (Sr) - 25
Bamisile (Sr) - 24 (assuming eligible)
Belle (Fr) - 21
Wheeler (Jr) - 20

Rotation (77)
Jackson (Sr) - 20
Kuany (Sr) - 20
Lawal (So) - 15
Nelson (So) - 13
Billups (Fr) - 9

Bench (6)
Fermin (So) - 4
Patrick (Fr) - 2
TBD - 0

Breakdown:
Perimeter - 1/2/3 (120 minutes) -
Shulga, Bairstow, Bamisile, Jackson, Nelson, Billups, Patrick, TBD
Interior - 4/5 (80 minutes) - Belle, Wheeler, Kuany, Lawal, Fermin

6/10/23

Minutes projections (200):

Starters (117)

Shulga (Sr) - 27
Bairstow (Sr) - 25
Bamisile (Sr) - 24 (assuming eligible)
Belle (Fr) - 21
Wheeler (Jr) - 20

Rotation (77)
Jackson (Sr) - 20
Kuany (Sr) - 20
Lawal (So) - 15
Nelson (So) - 13
Billups (Fr) - 9

Bench (6)
Fermin (So) - 4
Patrick (Fr) - 2
TBD - 0

Breakdown:
Perimeter - 1/2/3 (120 minutes) -
Shulga, Bairstow, Bamisile, Jackson, Nelson, Billups, Patrick, TBD
Interior - 4/5 (80 minutes) - Belle, Wheeler, Kuany, Lawal, Fermin
I think you’re severely underestimating Patrick. He’s 6’5-6’6, probably will be the best shooter on the team, and has been playing in a really good professional league. He will fit right into a lot of the things that Odom wants to do.

Looking at the list of players laid out in front of me like this has me thinking Coach Odom will have his work cut out for him. I feel the same way about Patrick and do not see him riding the pine. The big question is who will? or will he truly go 12 deep with his rotation.

Looking at the list of players laid out in front of me like this has me thinking Coach Odom will have his work cut out for him. I feel the same way about Patrick and do not see him riding the pine. The big question is who will? or will he truly go 12 deep with his rotation.
I am unrealistically high on Patrick too. Seems to me that he will have a Shriver-like role, at a minimum, and maybe more. The fact that he's been playing against grown men like Jequan in Europe suggests to me that he is not a standard-issue freshman.

As for the rotation and starting roles, I also agree that Odom has his work cut out for him. He knows 2 players. Everyone else is a question mark to Odom, to the fans, and frankly to the players. Two things are true: (a) he has a roster thick with 4*/top 100 recruits; and (b) he has a roster thick with players who have been disappointments/under-performers/unknowns. I have been following VCU basketball since the Gerald Henderson days and I cannot remember anything remotely like this. To say the rotations are wide open is an understatement.

Back