Players 2023-24 Roster Thread

I don't know why exactly, but I have a feeling that if anyone is left on the bench for no reason other than "there just aren't enough minutes" I think it might be Bamisile.

I don't know why exactly, but I have a feeling that if anyone is left on the bench for no reason other than "there just aren't enough minutes" I think it might be Bamisile.
I don’t know why you would think that. He has the best track record of anyone on the team outside of the two USU guys. If he’s eligible this year, then I think he’s right there with Shulga and Bairstow as the most likely starters.

he has a roster thick with players who have been disappointments/under-performers/unknowns.
Who? The only one I can think of is Wheeler at Louisville. Bamisile in the P5 programs but he rolled at GW.

Who? The only one I can think of is Wheeler at Louisville. Bamisile in the P5 programs but he rolled at GW.
I guess you could say Zeb as well but i'd say based on his body of work last year he will certainly be a contributor (and in my opinion the starter at 1/2)

I guess you could say Zeb as well but i'd say based on his body of work last year he will certainly be a contributor (and in my opinion the starter at 1/2)
I like Zeb, but Bamisle seems to have similar size with a more advanced offensive game.

I've been thinking of him as a wing. I see Fats as one too. Could be off base, though.
I see Zeb more as a wing that is forced to play PG because of the roster. Nelson is out only true PG, but I don’t think you need a true PG in today’s game.

Really? Ha! I feel like if Bam gets the waiver he will get 25+ minutes.

I don’t know why you would think that. He has the best track record of anyone on the team outside of the two USU guys. If he’s eligible this year, then I think he’s right there with Shulga and Bairstow as the most likely starters.
I have no particular reason for the idea other than SOMEONE has to be in the 5-10 minute range. Call it a "hot take" if you like. I wonder with Bam being a senior, if Odom would rather develop guys like Billups and Belle, who have multiple years remaining. Then again, with college basketball being such a year-to-year thing, he may not be concerned about that.

I have no particular reason for the idea other than SOMEONE has to be in the 5-10 minute range. Call it a "hot take" if you like. I wonder with Bam being a senior, if Odom would rather develop guys like Billups and Belle, who have multiple years remaining. Then again, with college basketball being such a year-to-year thing, he may not be concerned about that.
Bam still has 2 years of eligibility.

I think that will be the case whether he has to sit out or not.

Bam still has 2 years of eligibility.

I think that will be the case whether he has to sit out or not.
I thought he was one of the guys who didn't have a COVID year. I can't keep track. I guess it's the guys one year below him, like Wheeler?

I thought he was one of the guys who didn't have a COVID year. I can't keep track. I guess it's the guys one year below him, like Wheeler?
Correct.

Though a UNC media guy that I follow has said that the NCAA is likely to give all athletes 5 years at some point and remove most redshirting.

Correct.

Though a UNC media guy that I follow has said that the NCAA is likely to give all athletes 5 years at some point and remove most redshirting.
I've heard that too. Hopefully they make the change in the next couple of years. It would suck to graduate and move on after four years and having no COVID year to use, and then the next class is granted an extra year.

I am unrealistically high on Patrick too. Seems to me that he will have a Shriver-like role, at a minimum, and maybe more. The fact that he's been playing against grown men like Jequan in Europe suggests to me that he is not a standard-issue freshman.

As for the rotation and starting roles, I also agree that Odom has his work cut out for him. He knows 2 players. Everyone else is a question mark to Odom, to the fans, and frankly to the players. Two things are true: (a) he has a roster thick with 4*/top 100 recruits; and (b) he has a roster thick with players who have been disappointments/under-performers/unknowns. I have been following VCU basketball since the Gerald Henderson days and I cannot remember anything remotely like this. To say the rotations are wide open is an understatement.
Exactly, and similarly following program since Henderson/Sherod years. I’ve never seen a roster with so many unknown roles for so many talented players. RN will be non stop buzz this fall, with some feedback coming from Greece to get us stoked and speculating. Great time to be a Ram.

Back