Recruiting 2023 Offers

Odom thinks differently.
I’m just saying, if the full 13 won’t get filled, a coach might as well give one to a player or 2 who would have been a walk-on. Even if it’s just for a year. There is no benefit to having only 11 scholarship players during the full season.

I’m just saying, if the full 13 won’t get filled, a coach might as well give one to a player or 2 who would have been a walk-on. Even if it’s just for a year. There is no benefit to having only 11 scholarship players during the full season.
I'm not sure how the transfer portal works for mid-season transfers but that might also be an option. Odom said that attempting to get a high level player for the last scholarship (before patrick left) with all the talent we already have would be difficult and they might just hold on to it.......unless felt they had a sudden big winner show up.
But of course we now have two vacancies so that may change things a bit.

What do you mean by that?
Prior to patrick leaving, Odom indicated he would likely hold the last scholarship........it was during the most recent coach's show. Could certainly be different now that Patrick is gone. May fill one and keep one.....fill them both.....not fill them, who knows.

Prior to patrick leaving, Odom indicated he would likely hold the last scholarship........it was during the most recent coach's show. Could certainly be different now that Patrick is gone. May fill one and keep one.....fill them both.....not fill them, who knows.
He also mentioned possibly using the held scholly on someone who has to sit one. That would make good sense unless he sees a chance to grab someone who can star this year. One would have to think that the limited number of programs willing to spend a spot on someone who won't play has to improve our odds

Do we fill them or hold onto em for next year? If Bam doesn't have to sit, would we have a sufficient roster for this year?
true we could fill them w 5th years tho and have them for next year regardless

Last edited:
true we could fill them w 5tg years tho and have them for next year regardless
Odom felt....at least before patrick departed that with all the current players we have, it might be difficult to get a transfer or even a grad transfer that would have the talent to contribute. I took that to mean that Odom feels we likely have our starters and even second team pretty much set and that getting a transfer to commit would be difficult since most transfers come for playing time and do not want to sit or play possibly on the 3rd team.
Plus I have the feeling that even Patrick might have only been played very sparingly this year.
But that may have course changed since patrick departed. Still, unless it is a super player, they might find it hard cracking into the 1st or 2nd team. But if the super player comes, well sure.

So here is a business decision has to be made. I don't believe that a walk on should be given a scholarship just because. Now if they have earned it sure. As to no benefit of only having 11 players on Scholly, that's debatable and subject to the unknown. Neither VCU last year nor RO in to previous stops has played more that 11 players any meaningful minutes. I don't think Bam is getting a waiver( my opinion no insight) I'd love a three level scoring Grad transfer with scholly #12 and hold #13. Remember someone has to pay for those scholly's. Its not like its free money so no need to spend just because you can

So here is a business decision has to be made. I don't believe that a walk on should be given a scholarship just because. Now if they have earned it sure. As to no benefit of only having 11 players on Scholly, that's debatable and subject to the unknown. Neither VCU last year nor RO in to previous stops has played more that 11 players any meaningful minutes. I don't think Bam is getting a waiver( my opinion no insight) I'd love a three level scoring Grad transfer with scholly #12 and hold #13. Remember someone has to pay for those scholly's. Its not like its free money so no need to spend just because you can
Yeah I have no idea how the funding side of things works from a scholarship perspective. If one or both aren’t filled at the start of the year or mid-season, there are always those mid-year transfers that need a new home for the following season. That could be used with an open scholly. Not sure the exact process on that either. I’d think a coach would prefer to fill all 13 over leaving one open for an entire year.

I would be very surprised if there are any open schollies come this fall. There are too many question marks to leave two slots open. Worst case, fill em with two grad transfers. VCU has a med school. Gotta be two good players who want to attend grad school at VCU. Maybe they don't pencil in as starters today, but after an injury or two, a slump, an eligibility issue, a discipline issue, another homesick thing, or whatever, its better to have a full stable of horses to call on.

I think when Coach Odom says "hold on to them" he means until the right player shows up or we get down to the last minute.

I would be very surprised if there are any open schollies come this fall. There are too many question marks to leave two slots open. Worst case, fill em with two grad transfers. VCU has a med school. Gotta be two good players who want to attend grad school at VCU. Maybe they don't pencil in as starters today, but after an injury or two, a slump, an eligibility issue, a discipline issue, another homesick thing, or whatever, its better to have a full stable of horses to call on.

I think when Coach Odom says "hold on to them" he means until the right player shows up or we get down to the last minute.
Right. I believe I’ve heard of instances where a team goes into a season with one open scholarship. But in our situation, with practically a whole new roster and one player who may not be immediately eligible to play, I don’t see him not filling both of the currently open spots.

Right. I believe I’ve heard of instances where a team goes into a season with one open scholarship. But in our situation, with practically a whole new roster and one player who may not be immediately eligible to play, I don’t see him not filling both of the currently open spots.
GW did okay with 7 scholarships last year...

Back