2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings

Portal Out

Jason Nelson
Roosevelt Wheeler
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga

Portal In

Jack Clark - From Clemson

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings - Signed 11/10/23
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile - Indicated He Is Returning
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson - Indicated He Is Returning
7th Yr. Sr. Jack Clark

4 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
Only surprise for me is Zeb not being on the list. If you have any pro aspirations including over seas, I think you should go for the feedback

Only surprise for me is Zeb not being on the list. If you have any pro aspirations including over seas, I think you should go for the feedback
I agree. Zeb is perhaps a realist and knows already: improve 3 pt J and finishing at the rim. His NBA stock would rise significantly. He already has things that can’t be coached: size, speed and athleticism. Go Zeb!

I am uneasy calling anyone a scrub because it isn't polite. And I don't know this kid and have never watched him bounce a ball before.

But let me ask you this: if Odom replaced Tobi with someone who had one offer, from a Big South school, and a maybe/kind of offer from Harvard that they would take him if he prepped for the year, would you say that recruit is in VCU's recruiting wheelhouse for scholarship players? Or in the wheelhouse VCU used to have?
We got our butts handed to us this season by bigs who had scholarship offers only from, and played at, much lower levels (Venning, Cross, Quinn). I have no idea what Okafor may have from a skill perspective, but maybe he can surprise us.

The difference is coaches don't get free tuition & free housing.... The school they coach at doesn't give them a free house to live in while they coach here.

And to my knowledge, they don't give the coaches free tuition.... they might give them some kind of a discount for being a school employee, if they decide to take some classes to further their degree.... but they're not being given a full ride like a lot of athletes are.

And you wanna compare it to free agency of pro sports.... The difference is Professional Athletes don't get free tuition to take classes, they don't get free housing (other than maybe the team hotels when they are on road trips), they don't have a coach to come wake their @$$es up when they over sleep.

And unlike these 18-23 or 24 year old kids..... when pro athletes f*** up they're suspended without pay, fined heavily, and or outright cut / banned / black-balled from the league.... and even thrown in jail.

Meanwhile if a player in college gets in trouble..... Most of the time, the worst that will happen to them is.... they get kicked off the team / out of school.

If a college player gets suspended for a game for conduct detrimental to the team.... do they get fined, or give up game checks, like they would in a pro sport?..... NOPE

If a player gets kicked off the team / out of school... mid semester for whatever reason (like Tre Clarke did for us a few years back)..... are they fined? Are they forced to repay that semester's worth of tuition?..... NOPE. They're just kicked outta school.

So if that's what this is coming to, has come to..... fine so be it...... Let the Student Athletes get paid through NIL or whatever.... no problem. Now, learn how to manage your money, and you can start by paying for your housing. You can start paying for your tuition to the school.

Oh but wait..... "what about all the sports that no one cares about, and the players that don't get NIL money, that were happy with the free scholarship/tuition/housing?......"

"Welp, sorry, too bad. Other college athletes greed ruined it for the rest of you all, and well, since no one come to watch your games as it is anyway.... you all are the sacrificial lambs and we have no NIL money for you..... sorry not sorry"
The loudest voices pushing for free agency are the ones who never donate a nickel or buy season tickets. They love telling everyone else how they should feel.

I remember back in the day when college coaches used to recruit and meet parents in someone's home. Does that stiill happen?

We need to add some roster players now/ cuz news is not good news.

I remember back in the day when college coaches used to recruit and meet parents in someone's home. Does that stiill happen?
How quaint. Nowadays they meet at the bank, and grandma/mom or dad usually gets the ceremonial role of entering the PIN number for the first NIL payment as the player live-posts the whole affair on social media.

How quaint. Nowadays they meet at the bank, and grandma/mom or dad usually gets the ceremonial role of entering the PIN number for the first NIL payment as the player live-posts the whole affair on social media.

Feels like that would be a George Carlin bit if he were alive today...

So I can’t help wondering if this related to Nelson? I hate Twitter deciphering

Good question. Considering some of the hate Nelson gets from time to time it wouldn't surprise me if it was, but at the same time he's not in the portal and is in fact taking part in an event at the SPCA this weekend.

Back