Allen Payne - Visiting on 9/26 & VCU leads his recruiting

districtballer said:
Payne's signing is the lead story on Rivals.com basketball recruiting page.

Three-star prospect Allen Payne was going to wait till the spring before he signed, but a change of heart on the first day of the early signing period has him headed to the SEC.

Another close but no cigar

Mistachill said:
I never understood how Payne fits into the puzzle anyway so I'm less bummed about him than the bigs we missed on.

Regarding mwalvlior's comment about getting beat by inferior programs, that's very subjective. However, what is not subjective is their conference affiliation. Payne mentioned wanting to compete against the best night in and night out (http://www.ohshoops.com/). So even if you could say a program may be inferior, players he would compete against aren't and you know just about all of these guys think they're potential NBA prospects.

Chill that was precisely my point in that it doesnt seem to matter where our program stands in terms of national or conference standing because our conference doesnt have the overall level of talent where these recruits truly believe they will get noticed even though we are going to send 2 to the nba probably consecutively in the first round, while the only recent nba player from auburn i remember is marquis daniels who was excellent there and somehow ended up undrafted.

As I said Payne was perplexing because he is a Reco clone, but the bigs hurt more, probably because i think the need is greater there.

mwalvlior said:
Mistachill said:
I never understood how Payne fits into the puzzle anyway so I'm less bummed about him than the bigs we missed on.

Regarding mwalvlior's comment about getting beat by inferior programs, that's very subjective. However, what is not subjective is their conference affiliation. Payne mentioned wanting to compete against the best night in and night out (http://www.ohshoops.com/). So even if you could say a program may be inferior, players he would compete against aren't and you know just about all of these guys think they're potential NBA prospects.

Chill that was precisely my point in that it doesnt seem to matter where our program stands in terms of national or conference standing because our conference doesnt have the overall level of talent where these recruits truly believe they will get noticed even though we are going to send 2 to the nba probably consecutively in the first round, while the only recent nba player from auburn i remember is marquis daniels who was excellent there and somehow ended up undrafted.

As I said Payne was perplexing because he is a Reco clone, but the bigs hurt more, probably because i think the need is greater there.

My buddy reminded me tonight...what "big" for VCU was on the floor when Maynor hit the shot the night VCU beat duke?

VCUBeatsduke

I agree with Ramification...we need a big in a bad way, especially if Larry is leaving. I think we may be better served waiting til the late period for a late bloomer. We may just make some noise this year with the Landlord blossoming the way he has, and March success can only help us nab a good big in the late signing period. Coach Smart has already shown he can recruit in a short time frame with great success with the late signing's of Troy, Issiah (who were both 3 stars) and Theus (who is likely the best of them all). We are in very good hands. This is one of the best coaching staffs in the mid-major ranks that we have here right now.

Dito--well said.

I, too, am more disappointed in not landing one of the bigs we targeted [at least not yet], but also realize there are very few "sleepers" over 6' 9"--they just get too much attention, as everybody wants them. We can't expect to have the Sander's Story repeat very often.

I haven't given up on Donte Williams, but if he misses out on the opportunity this VCU team has waiting for him then I'm confident our coaching staff will find the right fit ASAP.

Smart's staff has been incredibly focused and I believe suprisingly strategic in their approach, given their collective experiences and time on the job. IF they coach like they recruit EVERYTHING will take care of itself. Notice how he they had a primary game plan and stuck to it? Notice how JC or forgein projects have not been settled for? Notice how we are legitimately in-the-running for some very good fits in the big dept.?

Our time will come to celebrate on a big signing. Now, if I can just stay patient...

OK I am just throwing this out for thought, not an intent to discourage any current recruits, just want to see what you would do if you were in Coach Smart's shoes.

Secnario:

Auburn fired Jeff Lebo last night. Allen Payne had it down to us and Auburn and obviously chose Auburn. Soooooo....what would happen is Allen called Shaka today and said I really want to play for you next year. Why would Coach Smart even consider this, because Allen is a top 150 player and currently ranked higher than any of our current recruits.

I mean he could get 4 years out of Allen where as Veal would be only 2.

getSmart said:
OK I am just throwing this out for thought, not an intent to discourage any current recruits, just want to see what you would do if you were in Coach Smart's shoes.

Secnario:

Auburn fired Jeff Lebo last night. Allen Payne had it down to us and Auburn and obviously chose Auburn. Soooooo....what would happen is Allen called Shaka today and said I really want to play for you next year. Why would Coach Smart even consider this, because Allen is a top 150 player and currently ranked higher than any of our current recruits.

I mean he could get 4 years out of Allen where as Veal would be only 2.

it is an interesting scenario/potential dilemma. I dont think it would necessarily come down to taking payne vs dumping veal because it is not as if they fill the same need and i dont see Shaka dumping someone who committed here for next year to bring in someone who said they wanted to come here and then went to SEC citing the competition as why. Seeing as that was Payne's reasoning i think it would be more likely he would re-open his recruiting to see if other BCS schools would offer. As far as VCU i think it would come down more to if the staff was still recruiting another scholarship already say if for example Larry and someone else were leaving.

Take him. Sure we can find a spot for him somewhere, even if we keep Toby.

(I thought the guy sitting next to me most of the CAA tournament kept saying "I am not Toby!"??? Sorry guys, inside joke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Let's just replace the whole team. :? At some point you have to stick with the cards you have been dealt.

BOYS BASKETBALL
 SOUTHWEST ALL-DISTRICT TEAMS
DIVISION I

First team: D.J. Martinez, Troy, 6-foot-6, sr., 18.4; Brandon Neel, La Salle, 6-3, jr., 15.2; Allen Payne, Winton Woods, 6-7, sr., 17.0; Jordan Sibert, Princeton, 6-4, sr., 18.4; DaWuan Thomas, Trotwood-Madison, 6-1, sr., 18.6; Travis Trice, Wayne, 6-0, jr., 21.9.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-s ... 87573.html

Winton Woods was led by FAVC-Buckeye Co-Player of the Year Allen Payne, who shared the honor with Anderson senior guard Mike Wilkison, who led the entire FAVC in scoring (21.2).

Payne, a senior, was second in the FAVC-Buckeye in scoring (17.1) and blocks (1.6), fifth in rebounds (6.1) and steals (2.0), and first in field-goal percentage (63.2 percent).

"Allen really came into his own this season and played with confidence," Gillespie said. "He just allowed the game to come to him."

Payne, who shot a solid 52.9 percent from the floor as a junior, saw his marksmanship rise by more than 10 percentage points as a senior.

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/ar ... r+Warriors

Wolfpack Ram said:
Let's just replace the whole team. :? At some point you have to stick with the cards you have been dealt.

This, Payne had the chance to make the right decision the first time and come with a winner. He chose the loser now he has to deal with it.

mike7842 said:
Let's let Shaka do the recruiting. Too many assistant coaches.

I don't see anybody not letting Shaka do the recruiting.........

Folks:

You all got this wrong - Payne WANTED VCU - we were his first choice. We were always his first choice. The coaches made a great decision and signed Reco - I have been arguing on these boards that we should have signed Payne along with Reco. I understand the dilemna the coaches had - you have Bradford as a Junior, and you have Reco as a freshman - there was NO spot for Payne.

We were just out of spots - I think DB could tell you this - but I do not believe we had offerred to Payne. I wish we had a spot for him - he wanted to play for VCU - which I thought was so cool...

VCUBeatsduke

Back