Dear Joey Rodriguez

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Just come back dude.

You will not regret staying, but would second guess leaving the rest of your life. Your team to lose.

I want Joey to stay, but I don't want him to stay here while his heart is really in Florida.

You're my favorite player on the team. 1. Because you're the smallest dude on your squad (with the exception of "Final Minute Guy" aka "SHOOT IT!") and being 5'6" myself, it was refreshing watching someone under six feet do big things on the court. And 2. Because you make some of the meanest long range jumpers I've ever seen live. Don't go, my dude. VCU is where you belong, cuz.

No thanks. I'd rather we focus our efforts on someone who is committed to the program.

What happens half way through the season if we're not doing so hot? If his girlfriend breaks up with him because she doesn't want to do long distance, etc, etc, etc.?

Joey's a great guy and brought some nice intangibles; unfortunately, he's made his (under 6 foot 3) bed and I hope the staff let him sleep in it.

We need to be focusing on our JUCO/other remaining prospects 110%.

Mercury said:
I want Joey to stay, but I don't want him to stay here while his heart is really in Florida.

agreed.

But I also just think he's a young guy who doesn't really know what he wants. I mean, when we were all in high school we probably thought we would marry the girl we were dating (perhaps some of you did in which case I will say that you missed out on some fun college years ;) ..)...Anyway the point is you grow up and you realize ...er...uh...I don't know, somebody finish my sentence.

Just come back dude.

PS. I also think a lot of people are sleeping on what he brings to the table. I'm sure this JUCO guy potentially coming in could be very good....but Joey still remains a seasoned D1 hoops player (having started his first two seasons). He also lead the CAA in 3 point % last year. You hate to lose that kind of talent.

On behalf of JoeyInHerBagel (who I haven't seen over here yet, new name or not), let me add to the folks encouraging Joey to come back. Joey's leadership on and off the court make us a better team with him, than without him.

I say we buy the guy a little palm tree, a heat lamp, a semester's supply of oranges, and some mickey mouse ears - - it'll be just like home.

I vote stay. Joe- this is your team Bro, if you stick it out. And I agree with others that say you may very well regret the move for the rest of your life. One final note- Last time I checked, they weren't moving Florida. It will be right where it is now- when you grab that VCU degree in hand. If you stay, it is very likely that YOU, my man, will lead us to yet another dance. Something else you would remember your entire life, and a thing that you could not pursue, or achieve, at the other school you are looking at. Stay put Broseph. ;)

Natty said:
Mercury said:

agreed.

But I also just think he's a young guy who doesn't really know what he wants. I mean, when we were all in high school we probably thought we would marry the girl we were dating (perhaps some of you did in which case I will say that you missed out on some fun college years ;) ..)...Anyway the point is you grow up and you realize ...er...uh...I don't know, somebody finish my sentence.

Just come back dude.

I do think if/when we return to 188 feet round trip Joey could shine a little more since he's got such hustle. Barring that, he's an average guard who happens to know Grant's/last season's plays/sets. I really think we'd be, at worst, breaking even off the bat with some of the remaining pg/combo prospects. Not worth the trouble IMO, especially with the known downside of him having issues being in Richmond (or out of Florida) in the first place. Emotional attachment to him aside, what's the point if we can find another similarly skilled, taller PG who we don't already know doesn't want to be playing in Richmond?

Natty said:
PS. I also think a lot of people are sleeping on what he brings to the table. I'm sure this JUCO guy potentially coming in could be very good....but Joey still remains a seasoned D1 hoops player (having started his first two seasons). He also lead the CAA in 3 point % last year. You hate to lose that kind of talent.

This guy played at the D1 level for a year before hitting the JUCO ranks. He's pretty darn good.

I don't want Joey back, sorry but he abandoned his team. I really don't think he is anything special. He fed off Eric.

joey - as an alumnus of Rollins College and VCU I can see how you would be tempted by the allure of wintering in Winter Park. I left Rollins after 2 years becasue I knew my daddy wasnt going to leave me a trust fund and that I really didnt fit in at a school full of northeasterners. Think UR of Fla.
you have 2 years invested in your degree here. D-II ball is well okay, but it isnt the CAA final on your own home court.Or playing UCLA. Or playing Okla next yeat at the STU. Or playing 94 ft both ways again. Or working your ass off out-conditioning all the teams you play. or ...well you get the picture
I came to vcu and never regretted a minute of leaving what seemed to be paradise. all that glitters isnt gold baby...

Back