Dear Joey Rodriguez

Natty said:
Mercury said:
I want Joey to stay, but I don't want him to stay here while his heart is really in Florida.

agreed.

But I also just think he's a young guy who doesn't really know what he wants. I mean, when we were all in high school we probably thought we would marry the girl we were dating (perhaps some of you did in which case I will say that you missed out on some fun college years ;) ..)...Anyway the point is you grow up and you realize ...er...uh...I don't know, somebody finish my sentence.

Just come back dude.

Yeah, but he isn't in high school. A person coming up on 21 next month. This is real life. I say sign the JUCO kid, its not fair to the staff nor the team to have somebody here who might change his mind and want to go back home next week.

NickGeorge21VCU said:
I don't want Joey back, sorry but he abandoned his team. I really don't think he is anything special. He fed off Eric.

FTW.

We can do better. He can't. Let's move on.

I feel like a lot of the above has to do with post-Grant-Eblen PTSD/battered booster syndrome. Joey left us after losing Eric Maynor, losing coach Grant and then losing our only other PG. Think about what his actions speak to. This is a young man who lives basketball, who knows exactly the position his school and team would be in were he to leave. We receive 3 body blows in a row and are left with one PG. Joey leaves anyway!

In judging Joey's actions impacting our team, I don't think any of you are considering what his decision could have meant in regards to tipping other players who were unsure/skittish about staying. Would you all feel the same way if you knew skeen or larry considered leaving due to decommits and the absence of a general so late in the season?

I'm not saying that's the case by any means, but it's not out of the question. He left his teammates when they needed him most.

We need to be recruiting/retaining from strength; not fear and weakness.

As "traumatic" as the Grant departure was, I did seem like JRod was just looking for an excuse to go. His homesickness was well known in his frosh year and it speaks volumes that he decided to leave AFTER meeting with Coach Smart (when things were bleak....not so bleack NOW andthat irks me as well).

I can see Coach Smart's dilema, though....it would help team morale and continuity for Joey to return (and perhaps make his transition as HC a bit easier) but a JUCO transfer with D-1 experience is HIS "get", HIS guy and is already on board with what Coach Smart wants to do.

Rambunctious said:
Who is the JUCO for Christ's sake?

Was asked not to post that on here. It doesn't matter if we don't have any scholarships anyway.

I don't know, I think if you have to talk a guy into staying that's your answer right there.

I was fine with JRod coming back with the thought in mind that he'd work his butt off during the summer to improve the areas he needs to work on to run the point next season. But now, if JRod stays I can't imagine him not spending his summer in Florida instead of staying in Richmond putting in the work he needs.

At this point, I'd have a hard time thinking JRod is fully committed to the program and I don't want him to stay out of guilt. As much as I like JRod I just don't know if staying is the best move for him or the team.

He better poop or get off the pot as the saying goes, 'cause the his window of oppurtunity is gonna close quick...and rightfully so.

Half-baked Mcbride said:
He better poop or get off the pot as the saying goes, 'cause the his window of oppurtunity is gonna close quick...and rightfully so.

Agreed and I am sure that the staff is still active with this JUCO player

Mercury said:
Half-baked Mcbride said:

Agreed and I am sure that the staff is still active with this JUCO player

Wade is still in contact with him.

BooBoo, your were one of my favorite VCU players. Your father always took time to talk with me when he came to the games. For me you would be welcomed back--in fact I would love to see you play again. But if your heart is in Florida, then go with your heart. I am sure you have many fond memories of VCU that will last your lifetime.

Half-baked Mcbride said:
As "traumatic" as the Grant departure was, I did seem like JRod was just looking for an excuse to go. His homesickness was well known in his frosh year and it speaks volumes that he decided to leave AFTER meeting with Coach Smart (when things were bleak....not so bleack NOW andthat irks me as well).

Exactly. What if there's even less to keep Joey here after/through this season? What if Shaka really starts to put things together towards the middle/end of the year but Joey gets home sick again and he's having trouble at the 1 on top of it?

He left VCU's Rams to go to a D2 school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing ball is just not a top priority for this kid.

As for continuity, that was the logic for Pujol boosters and I'm darn glad we didn't go with it. New coach, new system, new style, tempo, plays. I'd rather have 2 (6 ft and up) pgs in at the ground floor building up the program together...

Lastly, Shaka can't coach Joey to be taller. He is just, plain and simple, a physical liability for any sort of tourney play.

I have already said a lot about Joey through all of this. Basically I love him and never wanted him to go in the first place, so of course I would be happy to see him come back. I wouldn't be happy if he ends up leaving any way and we miss out on a guy we have been recruiting. Is the staff planning on setting a deadline for his final decision before offering the scholarship to someone else?

Being hispanic and 5'9 myself, it's great to see someone out there I can physically relate to tearing it up. Awesome player and I hope he stays.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
I have already said a lot about Joey through all of this. Basically I love him and never wanted him to go in the first place, so of course I would be happy to see him come back. I wouldn't be happy if he ends up leaving any way and we miss out on a guy we have been recruiting. Is the staff planning on setting a deadline for his final decision before offering the scholarship to someone else?

We should know before May 15th hopefully.

Back