Dear Joey Rodriguez

Maybe Coach Smart should approach this the way he did the Eblen situation. Lets consider Joey an uncommitted player who we need to re-recruit and we'll offer him if he's the best option available and he's still unsigned.

Seems to me this should be Coach Smart's decision, not Joey's.

Ok, I know these are just off handed message board comments but frankly I'm shocked that there has been > 0 comments in this thread talking about how nice it is/would be to have joey back because he's a below average height PG who may or may not show up average height players.

Not the Gonzaga of the East mindset, by any stretch. :oops:

I think it speaks to his caliber as a player when the above, intangible hustle/energy and his Maynor-fed 3pt % in a weak CAA are what gets talked up.

More 3's are always nice, but we've got good shooters. Hustle is good, but we've got plenty and I don't think Joey will be conditioning that hard in Florida over the summer.

ba-ram-you said:
Ok, I know these are just off handed message board comments but frankly I'm shocked that there has been > 0 comments in this thread talking about how nice it is/would be to have joey back because he's a below average height PG who may or may not show up average height players.

Not the Gonzaga of the East mindset, by any stretch. :oops:

I think it speaks to his caliber as a player when the above, intangible hustle/energy and his Maynor-fed 3pt % in a weak CAA are what gets talked up.

More 3's are always nice, but we've got good shooters. Hustle is good, but we've got plenty and I don't think Joey will be conditioning that hard in Florida over the summer.

Good point. We have a bunch of great shooters especially with Burgess, Gavin, and now Daniels being in the "pure shooter" mold. Teams are lucky to have one. We're in good shape if Larry bulks up and works on his passing out of the high post. Teams are going to have to pick their poison. Of course I'll take Larry running to the basket over him back to the basket any day, but it still helps that teams will have to think twice about doubling him in the low post with so many perimeter weapons at our disposal.

I don't see how Joey is really even a point guard, he does nothing with the ball except shoot three's. He never drives and can't see over the defenses. He's probally considered a point guard because of his height, but really he is a small shooting guard. I think we can do much better in recruiting or give it to a walk-on who WANTS TO BE HERE.

Joey would be our best option for next year by far. I'm firmly with the "come back, please!" crowd.

That being said, I haven't heard that he is seriously considering coming back to VCU next year. I've heard he's pretty much decided on going home.

I've been wrong before, though...

NickGeorge21VCU said:
I don't see how Joey is really even a point guard, he does nothing with the ball except shoot three's. He never drives and can't see over the defenses. He's probally considered a point guard because of his height, but really he is a small shooting guard. I think we can do much better in recruiting or give it to a walk-on who WANTS TO BE HERE.

ding ding ding

I did a little research based on the hints dropped here and figured out who the JUCO is. If he wants to come to VCU and is committed to being a team player, I say, sign him now!!!

Rambob said:
I did a little research based on the hints dropped here and figured out who the JUCO is. If he wants to come to VCU and is committed to being a team player, I say, sign him now!!!

Yup. He's definitely a good prospect for VCU.

I'm leaning towards the JUCO guy, ball handling is our primary aim now, it's not one of Joey's strengths.

Well, this guy is better than Boo Boo - - if we get him we might have a little thunder and lightning in the back court.

Back