For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

The difference is that Spartanburg is too small to have its own TV stations, and therefore gets TV from Greenville. Thus, it's part of that media market. Richmond and Hampton Roads have their own TV stations. Newport News is closer to Norfolk, so it gets TV from there. Williamsburg is the weird one. It's halfway between Richmond and Norfolk, and I believe they get TV from both, but I think it's lumped in with Richmond for media market purposes.

Another thing regarding your issue about Spartanburg being so far from Greenville: you should see some of the media markets out west. There are areas 3-4 hours away by car from the city that are considered part of the media market due to lack of population.
Actually Spartanburg is relatively close to Greenville. The two of them make sense together. I think the whole market is not that much separate from Charlotte actually. Ashville is more the outlier. I guess they get their TV from Greenville because it's the closest city of any size.

Hampton Roads would be pulling all of Nor, VA. B, Ches, Ports., suff., Hampt, NN and I would include Williamsburg in with Hampton Roads since it virtually borders NN. Plus a large portion of NE NC, from Gates County east and down to Edenton and the Outer Banks and in VA west to South Hampton and North to the Eastern shore of VA and the eastern Middle Penninsula and Northern Neck. That's 2 mil+ population. I am not seeing G-ville, Sparty, Ashville being larger than that without somehow claiming a lot of what I would think of more as suburbs of Charlotte.
Greenville is certainly a growing area with it's being along 85 between Charlotte and Atlanta, but not there yet.

Hampton Roads would be pulling all of Nor, VA. B, Ches, Ports., suff., Hampt, NN and I would include Williamsburg in with Hampton Roads since it virtually borders NN. Plus a large portion of NE NC, from Gates County east and down to Edenton and the Outer Banks and in VA west to South Hampton and North to the Eastern shore of VA and the eastern Middle Penninsula and Northern Neck. That's 2 mil+ population. I am not seeing G-ville, Sparty, Ashville being larger than that without somehow claiming a lot of what I would think of more as suburbs of Charlotte.
Greenville is certainly a growing area with it's being along 85 between Charlotte and Atlanta, but not there yet.
I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't make the lists, but on all of the ones I linked, Greenville media market is larger than Hampton Roads. I think perhaps the thing to realize is that outside of Newport News, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach, there really aren't a ton of people in those areas you mentioned. Hardly anyone lives on the eastern shore, for example, and the northern neck and middle peninsula aren't that densely populated either. Also, I'm pretty sure Williamsburg is included in the Richmond DMA, whether it makes sense or not.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't make the lists, but on all of the ones I linked, Greenville media market is larger than Hampton Roads. I think perhaps the thing to realize is that outside of Newport News, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach, there really aren't a ton of people in those areas you mentioned. Hardly anyone lives on the eastern shore, for example, and the northern neck and middle peninsula aren't that densely populated either. Also, I'm pretty sure Williamsburg is included in the Richmond DMA, whether it makes sense or not.
Williamsburg gets the Norfolk stations through both Cox and Verizon

Not since I lived there in the 2000's, at least. Still have family and friends there that can confirm.

Not since I lived there in the 2000's, at least. Still have family and friends there that can confirm.
It seems I was mistaken about Williamsburg being in the Richmond DMA. I know back in the early/mid 90s I had a buddy I visited there quite frequently, and he got both RVA and Hampton Roads TV and I *thought* it was officially part of Richmond. I had been hunting for a DMA map and finally found one. It's a bit old, but it shows Williamsburg as barely being part of Hampton Roads DMA.

Disagree. What's easier to sell, Michigan VS Indiana or two mid majors most fans have not hear of?
Plus, one thing we are not talking about is the impact of gambling.
Get DraftKing or FanDuel to sponsor the Power Conference Basketball playoffs, hone of the BIGGEST schools and biggest stars with the biggest NIL programs.
Meanwhile UNC Wilmington and the North Dakota Mustangs kick off the action in the true, original "March Madness'?. Not much of a contest.

I wonder if the networks have any clauses that let them out of NCAA contracts if the NCAA loses the power 5.
You are assuming that conferences that regularly squabble with each other and amongst themselves would all get together and agree on a new tournament at the expense of known and substantial existing TV revenue. If the ACC, SEC, B10, BIG12 and Big East don't need the Mountain West and A10 do they really need the PAC10 either? Do they present a united front to television partners to get the best deal? Do they agree on revenue splits if they make that deal? Do some programs defect and decide to participate in the NCAA tournament instead? Does the entire house of cards fall apart from there?

What I wonder about is whether they can create a product that is more attractive to media outlets (and most importantly, their advertisers) than the current NCAA tournament. They've got to convince some media company that their new tourney is worth paying for. Maybe they can. But when I watch the marketing of "March Madness" (Registered trademark of the NCAA), it really leans into the Cinderella stories, especially in the first weekend when there are soooo many games to televise.

It was much easier to create the College Football Playoffs outside of the NCAA because there was no existing media product to supplant. Just a bunch of individual bowl games, each with their own media deal. Bundling those together created a better value proposition for the media outlets.

So a power conference only basketball tournament may happen eventually, but I think the path to it is much more difficult.
Although, it can be done. In fact, in early post-peach basket basketball times...a long, long time ago.....it was the NIT that was the major post-season tournament. But the NIT ended up tanking badly, almost to nonexistence. That is when the NCAA stepped in and bought the rights to the pre and post season NIT tournaments.
The only major sticking block for the P5/6 to leave the NCAA and set up their own tournament might be their current media/TV deals. Those deal may have some associated deal or clause that only permit NCAA sanctioned events both during and post season. Plus conference and school affiliation with the NCAA gives those conference and teams legitimacy. But those schools control the NCAA due to the money they bring in. The NCAA would willingly divide the tournament for separate P5/6 teams and an alternate tournament for everyone else, if those P5/6 schools really pushed for it (which I think they are slowly moving towards)

Why would the P6 want to leave the NCAA?
NCAA messed up the NIL badly, so that could get rebooted to whatever the P6 wants. Also, anything at all that has been done to accommodate small schools that bothers them at all is now gone.
Want a longer season? Want to have the kids 100% skip class in season and go to summer school instead? Hey, instead of letting the NFL draft kids, why not make the NFL make offers to the kids they want, with a nice fee to the college funding? That is pretty much how pro soccer works, if Man United lies the 18 year old wonder kid who plays for Millwall, the pay Millwall a finders fee.(And pay the kid separately). And Im sure there are lots more reasons. Because, the kids are no longer armatures going pro, they are now employees going to another organization.
Your understanding of this is garbage.

Here’s a very long Twitter thread to explain the ACC situation and what the options are:

Here are the five options:

And here’s the conclusion in the final 2 tweets if you don’t want to read it all:

Back