Green City

I think it’ll be fine. People who want to go to events being held there will make it work. Parking will be so much better than something downtown. I’m more likely to drive somewhere where parking is easy to find. I’m sure GRTC will work in a stop. Without a transportation system from the city already in place beyond that, I’m not sure what else we can expect.

It wouldn’t be the first arena in a place without large scale transportation lines though. Just went to JPJ for a concert. Parking/walking sucked right now because there is big construction between the deck and the arena. Still drove there from an hour away. Still went and enjoyed myself because I went for the attraction I paid for.

It’s not going to be a Barclay’s center ever. It’s going to be like JPJ-type events. People will go if they want to see a show. There will be plenty of development around it over time.

I’m excited! It’s ridiculous people from Richmond have to go to the Hampton Coliseum, Virginia Beach, or Charlottesville to see a big-name show. I have a feeling that now artists will choose this new place over those venues to be more centralized. It’s going to be great for our area.

Last edited:
I’m thrilled we’re getting it. We’ve gotta start someplace, and over time plenty of entertainment options will follow in proximity. The city has dine nothing to replace the coliseum, decades now of incompetence. I hope developers rally around Green City. Central VA needs it to succeed.

I was producing a video for the new VCU Children's Tower and on the top floor I looked out the window. It has a great view of the Coliseum and Marshall St. Ha!

Do you think if enough noise is made about it being an offensive eye-sore that is a blight on the city the council will find the monies to take it down and turn it into a green-space?
The city has had horrible luck when it comes to doing that. Not sure why because it seems like with a good plan it would work. An example is tearing down the old farmer's market in Shockoe Bottom. In my opinion they should have left the structure and built around it. Same with the landing near the bridge and Brown's Island.

It's a huge flat area in the heart of the city. It is ripe for either condo's or office buildings or both. I can't see the city making it a green space....it is worth too much.
I wonder what the cost would be to tear down and clear out the area to prep it for sale. The cost to remove it could be an impediment to the sale of the land if a developer wanted the area.

Do you think if enough noise is made about it being an offensive eye-sore that is a blight on the city the council will find the monies to take it down and turn it into a green-space?

It will not be torn down until someone other than the City of Richmond pays for it to come down. That's how this city operates.

I think it’ll be fine. People who want to go to events being held there will make it work. Parking will be so much better than something downtown. I’m more likely to drive somewhere where parking is easy to find. I’m sure GRTC will work in a stop. Without a transportation system from the city already in place beyond that, I’m not sure what else we can expect.

It wouldn’t be the first arena in a place without large scale transportation lines though. Just went to JPJ for a concert. Parking/walking sucked right now because there is big construction between the deck and the arena. Still drove there from an hour away. Still went and enjoyed myself because I went for the attraction I paid for.

It’s not going to be a Barclay’s center ever. It’s going to be like JPJ-type events. People will go if they want to see a show. There will be plenty of development around it over time.

I’m excited! It’s ridiculous people from Richmond have to go to the Hampton Coliseum, Virginia Beach, or Charlottesville to see a big-name show. I have a feeling that now artists will choose this new place over those venues to be more centralized. It’s going to be great for our area.
Yeah, but think about. Of course you'll do whatever you have to do to attend an event you really want to attend. There are VCU hoops fans who would attend the A10 tournament if he were held in Big Stone Gap, VA. These type of event attendees aren't who some of us are talking about.

Back