Green City

I maybe wrong but I thought there was a bus that went to Virginia Center Commons.
I do not think it goes that far. I did a bunch of stories on the expansion. You can find each route story on YouTube if you Google YouTube/Henrico Government/GRTC Expansion. I think GRTC has also embedded the videos. Oh I found the link for the videos.

Here is a map of the Henrico GRTC routes.
129333711_4726300037443721_4184272018783794936_o.jpg

I do not think it goes that far. I did a bunch of stories on the expansion. You can find each route story on YouTube if you Google YouTube/Henrico Government/GRTC Expansion. I think GRTC has also embedded the videos. Oh I found the link for the videos.

Here is a map of the Henrico GRTC routes.
129333711_4726300037443721_4184272018783794936_o.jpg
Yeah, I would not be surprised if between this development and the VCC redevelopment, GRTC opted to expand bus routes into northern Henrico. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

great to see a project of this magnitude - not surprising Henrico County is involved - stronger financially and not burdened with the challenges the city faces where they bear a disproportionate share of providing social services to the needy as well as many years of neglect of their infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, schools , etc)
The one question I always have (and taxpayers ) with these is what support and guarantees are being provided by the County or EDA. Many of these public statements/articles etc are artfully scripted to dodge the real questions here.
if the EDA finances and project tax revenues are insufficient to pay the debt service on the bonds, are taxpayers (through the County) fiscally obligated in the fine print on the bond documents or does the deal get done based upon a moral obligation of the County (taxpayers) to cure deficiencies-
Also who bears the risk of project cost overruns?? (i.e is the EDA giving them a blank check on the amount they will finance?)
These are typically key questions that County officials and developers will gloss over or finesse but usually are where the rubber meets the road in these deals as far as risk to taxpayers
most other items are usually straightforward (eg dollars the County will provide for infrastructure improvements like they do with many large projects or tax breaks for the project, or sales price of county assets provided like land)
Personally, I wish the County well (though I think 17k size is ambitious for an arena - Richmond is a tough market for concerts and as far as basketball tourneys the A10 avg is what 5-7 k annually and other conferences would be less - minor league hockey, G league etc are 2-4 k avg - NCAA at best would be every 7 years because of tremendous competition for this in the east and south and not really a money maker)

I maybe wrong but I thought there was a bus that went to Virginia Center Commons.
Looking at the GRTC system map there doesn’t appear to be service that goes to VCC. I am hopeful that if this development occurs that there would be a bus service added with quick access from the Pulse line and convention center. I think there is a big difference in enjoyment having been to arenas in suburban car centric developments and more urban settings where you can use public transit.

Funny, I aways thought that it would be Chesterfield County instead of Henrico making the bold move.

I will say as a new real estate agent, all of a sudden that neighborhood just south of Parham has gotten a whole lot more interesting to me, ha! (Related note: if anyone wants to go look at houses soon, or to sell your house, please DM me! Lots of VCU hoops talks while looking at houses). Also not mad at this site, being an 8-minute drive from my house in the Northside.

As a city resident I wished we were getting an arena, but clearly just don't have enough supporters for that (and a lot of very loud voices against it), so I'm not mad at another municipality stepping in to remind the city that this can happen. I'm curious how many downtown businesses around the Coliseum might consider moving to that complex with all the current challenges the city has. I own a physical business downtown (in the Fan) and my insurance literally just went up 25% (for some reason) and I gotta imagine for the larger businesses downtown they are seeing similar -- which isn't that fun -- so curious what ripple effect, if any, there could be with this situation, especially since those businesses aren't dependent on foot traffic at all.

"Let them that don't want none have memories of not gettin any" - Brother Dave Gardner

Chesterfield has made some pretty strong moves (buying the River City SportsPlex, plans for a water park, etc) but they just got one-upped big time.
My friend was one of the furloughed Chesterfield employees. Henrico is good with financing without raising resident taxes and they did so well in the last 8 months that they are going to thaw the frozen % percentage raises and compression pay for employees.

Here is a new more concise story that came out of the press announcement the other day.

Chesterfield has made some pretty strong moves (buying the River City SportsPlex, plans for a water park, etc) but they just got one-upped big time.
There is more money to be made and less risk with the youth sports. They will be fine. I live in Chesterfield but I'm glad that Henrico is the one doing this.

The city bungling an infrastructure opportunity that was a great opportunity for revitalization and income generation? Well I never!

Back