How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

Excited but I have realistic expectations, It can be hard for a team like this to gel and have chemistry. I'm not expecting to be amazing in year one, but I don't think we will be bad either. I'm excited for a few years down the road.
Hard for me to think about this team "down the road." With transfers and NIL now, I don't foresee us ever being able to maintain a roster. Guys will play well then leave, guys won't get enough playing time and then leave, guys will get bigger NIL money elsewhere and leave. Gone are the days of watching players stay and grow from Freshman year to Senior year. So I don't look down the road anymore...we have to be good now or our coaching staff will recruit transfers to compete better..as they should since it is the name of the game now.

Hard for me to think about this team "down the road." With transfers and NIL now, I don't foresee us ever being able to maintain a roster. Guys will play well then leave, guys won't get enough playing time and then leave, guys will get bigger NIL money elsewhere and leave. Gone are the days of watching players stay and grow from Freshman year to Senior year. So I don't look down the road anymore...we have to be good now or our coaching staff will recruit transfers to compete better..as they should since it is the name of the game now.
Did you listen to the podcast with Coach Christian? Give it a listen. It was interesting because he talked about how Gonzaga built their program thru transfers and he sees Odom doing the same thing.

Did you listen to the podcast with Coach Christian? Give it a listen. It was interesting because he talked about how Gonzaga built their program thru transfers and he sees Odom doing the same thing.
Haven't yet, will have to give it a listen...I agree that you have to build a program around transfers now...what I meant by "down the road" was mainly directed at this roster we have currently. We will always be able to compete because VCU is a big enough brand of basketball to draw good transfer talent...but you can't look at this roster and think "down the road" I don't believe...you have to think about what transfers we can get. If we are able to keep good players..great. However, I don't think we can due to the level we are at...either they are going to be good enough to get drafted...Bones...or they will want to move up with the big boys at the P6 level and play for more NIL money. So we will have to recruit transfers every year which will make us have a different roster look year after year. Not necessarily a bad thing...but I am less and less excited about the potential of player development because if they truly develop that means they may leave.

For me, right now, the Patrick departure is sort of a barometer for the program. I'm just not sure what it means.
1. Patrick got here and saw how strong the team is and could see himself getting meaningful minutes??
2. He got here and thought A10 basketball would be beneath him, so why not stay in Europe.
3. Something completely different, like he'd prefer not to get shot in Richmond or other major city.

And there's those two scholarships left. Who will be this year's Melvin Johnson, coming on board late but then making major contributions for years to come. Anyone hearing anything about who we're even interested in?

For me, right now, the Patrick departure is sort of a barometer for the program. I'm just not sure what it means.
1. Patrick got here and saw how strong the team is and could see himself getting meaningful minutes??
2. He got here and thought A10 basketball would be beneath him, so why not stay in Europe.
3. Something completely different, like he'd prefer not to get shot in Richmond or other major city.

And there's those two scholarships left. Who will be this year's Melvin Johnson, coming on board late but then making major contributions for years to come. Anyone hearing anything about who we're even interested in?
Ed Nixon mentioned in an Instagram story that the "$70,000 salary versus a college scholarship" factor likely played a role as well, especially if Patrick wasn't going to be a starter. I don't think he would have been eligible for NIL, so that's a pretty big difference.

Ed Nixon mentioned in an Instagram story that the "$70,000 salary versus a college scholarship" factor likely played a role as well, especially if Patrick wasn't going to be a starter. I don't think he would have been eligible for NIL, so that's a pretty big difference.
He was a US citizen so I would think he would be eligible for NIL.

He was a US citizen so I would think he would be eligible for NIL.
I was just coming here to say this. Odom mentioned in the last coach's show that Patrick has a US passport, so none of the VISA income restrictions would apply to him.

Back