How are you feeling right now about the team and program?

VCU was not getting in the dance last year unless every single underdog team in America failed to win a single conference championship, and even then it would have at best been a play in game ala 2011. No one had VCU in the field of 64 in a conference that basically sucked.

False

Yep, an amazing athlete, and college QB. Horrible NFL bust. True on the bar tab situation, and deservedly so.
He'd be better in today's NFL game, where mobility, escapability, running ability and play making on broken plays are becoming the prototype (see Mahomes, Jackson...). His skill set was not yet appreciated in the NFL.

Random stat: end of year A-10 kenpom rankings...

With all A-10 teams being done, here's where the (current) kenpom standings sit. These I think could change slightly depending on the Sweet 16 results, but I doubt much at all.

31 - Dayton
75 - VCU
88 - Duquesne
90 - Richmond
92- UMass
94 - Loyola Chicago
97 - Mason
99 - St. Joe's
102 - Bona
125 - Davidson
188 - Fordham
194 - La Salle
197 - SLU
203 - GW
207 - Rhody

I think that's a pretty darn solid start considering we lost our entire roster and sixth man to graduation and the portal. Only Zeb (11 minutes) and Tobi (2 minutes) played in last year's A-10 Championship. Getting Max to follow him was obviously a HUGE help and getting Joe Bam (even if he's streaky) active added to that, but overall, I think to finish that high with a roster that had a lot of question marks coming into the season, is pretty solid and makes me fairly optimistic. Recruiting this offseason will likely look very different as well because if you remember last offseason the immediate eligibility no matter what did not exist, so I'm interested to see how Odom & Co. retain talent and how they build on what we've got.
And as for conference strength, 8 top 100 teams and Bona just outside at 102 is a big improvement in one year. I think we will be better next year, now much (?). It will be interesting to see if the A10 will continue to improve. If two or three team can make a jump to the 50 range that would be great. I think Dayton will not be at 31 though.

Please send me some of whatever you're smoking. No one in the college basketball world had VCU making the field of 64. In fact you may be the sole human on the planet that believed it would happen.

Now having said that please show your work for how you think they were going to get in.

Please send me some of whatever you're smoking. No one in the college basketball world had VCU making the field of 64. In fact you may be the sole human on the planet that believed it would happen.

Now having said that please show your work for how you think they were going to get in.
Incoming TLDR post cause all of us with any brain cells.... (even DL with his crazy posts at times).... knew we weren't getting in without winning the A10 Tourney.

What happened in that UConn game? I saw it mentioned on Twitter this week that there was some shady chit involved.

Coach Smart has his place in VCU Basketball history, but our history of postseason success is relatively light as outlined above. I have given up on it at this point, but if we did have a successful coach come along and stay for a decade plus they are not going to be in anyone else's shadow. You get the benefit of coaching at a program that has a history of basketball success and there still being the possibility of being the most successful coach of all time if you hang around long enough to do it.

Not sure what happened in that game, but watching on TV, their gym looked like it was being lit with 25 watt light bulbs. It looked like they were playing the game at night on a playground.

Regarding VCU's success, this program has got to get past the first weekend. It's only happened 4 times now, and only once in the NCAA Tournament. Take out 2011 and VCU is just another mid-major team with minimal success when it comes to the NCAA Tournament. Outside of the 5 wins in 2011, VCU has only won 8 NCAA Tournament games since 1980 - and only 3 wins since 2011.

I'm hearing a whole lot of crickets chirping guard the arc.....

So I feel today that the AD, the coach, and the program have done well with the things that are under their control. I think Odom is a good hire. He had to take a lot of swings to fill a very depleted roster. Some were solid, extra-base hits, including Shulga and Bamisile. Some weren't so solid, but the overall average was pretty good.

I'm apprehensive about the things that aren't under the program's control. I'm concerned we're about to see NCAA D1 Basketball become a defined set of levels, just like Minor League Baseball. Only difference is, instead of "The Organization" deciding who plays where, it's the chaos of an uncontrolled marketplace. Where VCU sits today, we'd be a solid AA program - but we'll probably never have the chance to move the team up to AAA. Only the players will move. So maybe, instead of taking enjoyment from watching a player develop over four years at VCU, I'll have to get it from watching players who pass through VCU make it all the way to the NBA. Dunno if it will feel the same - I'll just have to see.

Sorry for all the tortured baseball analogies. We'll have to see how many swings Odom has to take this off-season. My goals for every season won't change, but I figure my expectations about whether they can be achieved will be changing dramatically from one season to the next.

No one will ever come close to my level of crazy. Lol
DL, I would like to say publicly that your thoughts and opinions are important here at Ram Nation. There are no such thing as crazy thoughts and your feelings will always be valued. Your post will receive the utmost attention and respect as we strive to make sure this forum is a welcoming environment to everyone regardless of the sensibility of your comments. Your feeling are our top priority.

DL, I would like to say publicly that your thoughts and opinions are important here at Ram Nation. There are no such thing as crazy thoughts and your feelings will always be valued. Your post will receive the utmost attention and respect as we strive to make sure this forum is a welcoming environment to everyone regardless of the sensibility of your comments. Your feeling are our top priority.
Everybody has that one crazy uncle

Back