Players Max Shulga in transfer portal

I made the comparison in the transfer portal but Brickus and Max are honestly quite comparable in terms of stats. Brickus scores a bit more while Max leans more toward assists. I think intangibles do tip the scales in Brickus's favor, though, he's absolutely tough and even if La Salle did suck and all of those games against us, he never had a single bad game:

vs. VCU 2024 (senior) - 20 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals
vs. VCU 2023 (junior) - 16 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals
vs. VCU 2022 (soph) - VCU and La Salle didn't play in 2022
vs. VCU 2021 (freshman) - 12 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 2 steals
I hope we get him, but I'm always wary of stats for players from losing teams. It's easy to throw up shots and take risks when it doesn't mean much. I like players from winning teams. Learned that at basketball camp from Dean Smith when I was 14. Lol

I hope we get him, but I'm always wary of stats for players from losing teams. It's easy to throw up shots and take risks when it doesn't mean much. I like players from winning teams. Learned that at basketball camp from Dean Smith when I was 14. Lol
Did Dean explain how he only won two rings in spite of being Calipari before Calipari in terms of talent acquisition? :D

As much as I would have liked it, Max was never coming back guys. This isn't a sky is falling moment.
I agree. It's extremely doubtful Max was intending to return. If his pro ambitions don't come to fruition or don't meet his satisfaction he would likely look for the highest bidder in the portal. It's a crying shame but it is what it is. Tradition, fit, relationship with staff, facilities have gone the way of the Unicorn. I recently had a coach(not VCU) tell me that all you have to do now is bid 50 cents more than the next guy to win the day. He also reiterated the rampant pre-portal recruiting going on. Many prospects have street agents that can fulfill that function. In another life I remember and was even a bit part of the days when literally if you bought a prospect a McDonald's Meal it was a recruiting violation. We now have to accept the fact that until it all implodes we will basically have to experience a largely new team each year.
One thing that surprised me this year was that most coaches and many staffs still took time off to attend the Final Four. With the substantial uncertainly with respect to the portal I would have devoted that time to the recruiting function. About now I bet a lot of coaches wish they had done just that.

With just Nelson, Bamisile, Jackson, Fermin, Belle, Billups and Jennings, Rams could finish in A10 top four .... add Brickus and VCU contends for the title. An eight-man rotation is more than many schools employ (example, Dayton). That said, does VCU recruit incoming freshmen anymore? Lots of real good ones out there.

With just Nelson, Bamisile, Jackson, Fermin, Belle, Billups and Jennings, Rams could finish in A10 top four .... add Brickus and VCU contends for the title. An eight-man rotation is more than many schools employ (example, Dayton). That said, does VCU recruit incoming freshmen anymore? Lots of real good ones out there.
I certainly hope we are not wasting time or money recruiting high school kids

No need to be a developmental program for schools with more money

Get old and stay old

I agree. It's extremely doubtful Max was intending to return. If his pro ambitions don't come to fruition or don't meet his satisfaction he would likely look for the highest bidder in the portal. It's a crying shame but it is what it is. Tradition, fit, relationship with staff, facilities have gone the way of the Unicorn. I recently had a coach(not VCU) tell me that all you have to do now is bid 50 cents more than the next guy to win the day. He also reiterated the rampant pre-portal recruiting going on. Many prospects have street agents that can fulfill that function. In another life I remember and was even a bit part of the days when literally if you bought a prospect a McDonald's Meal it was a recruiting violation. We now have to accept the fact that until it all implodes we will basically have to experience a largely new team each year.
One thing that surprised me this year was that most coaches and many staffs still took time off to attend the Final Four. With the substantial uncertainly with respect to the portal I would have devoted that time to the recruiting function. About now I bet a lot of coaches wish they had done just that.
My guess is the move the portal dates because of this.

I certainly hope we are not wasting time or money recruiting high school kidsI

No need to be a developmental program for schools with more money

Get old and stay old
I see your point. That said, with the feeding frenzy taking place in the portal there are some real solid opportunities in the prep ranks. Believe it or not some top 150 level preps get very little NIL $.

I hate this new age of transfer portal crap. My interest is waning.
I’ve felt this way for a while now. It’s been difficult to hold interest. It’s to the point where I don’t even have a reaction to news like this. It’s just complete apathy.

Our entire team could transfer out today (like last year, I suppose), and I’d feel very little emotion over it. We’d grab a few transfers who I won’t bother to get invested in, we’d win some games, have a few memorable moments, then rinse and repeat.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy for young men, many of whom did not grow up with much, to get some bank. Good for them. But as a fan, I can’t help but think this system has failed us.

As Richard apparently once said, “withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy”.

Maybe not, but they sure seem to share some commonalities from time to time.

Ironically enough a lot of players both ones in the portal and not in the portal were at Both Final Fours, Men's & Women's..... so who knows what all went on around the Final 4 as well.

Looks like Watkins is recruiting him for a bigger bag at FSU. As Tressi's says "Getta a Bag, Getta a Bag, Getta a Bag..Go"

Back