Players Michael Belle is a VCU Ram!

Another great job by Ryan and the coaching staff. Belle is a really good get. Counting fats that gives us three quality Freshmen to build around for the future. Michael was one of the top International Players available this year and a number of scouts indicate that would approximate a top 100 American baller. This roster is actually shaping-up to have good class balance which is important albeit not as important since the advent of the portal.

I would definitely put us in the top 3-4 in the conference going into 2023-2024 but I will temper my expectations somewhat until there is clarity on what other schools have done and how we utilize those last two scholarships. We must also be cognitive of the challenge of developing chemistry in a relatively short period of time. I also think adapting to Ryan's scheme will require a higher Basketball IQ than we have become accustomed to. There is no doubt we have an assemblage of talent. If we can get the pieces working together and guys make a jump in the offseason we could be quite formidable. The overseas trip will do wonders because you also get I believe an extra 10-days of practice.

Another great job by Ryan and the coaching staff. Belle is a really good get. Counting fats that gives us three quality Freshmen to build around for the future. Michael was one of the top International Players available this year and a number of scouts indicate that would approximate a top 100 American baller. This roster is actually shaping-up to have good class balance which is important albeit not as important since the advent of the portal.

I would definitely put us in the top 3-4 in the conference going into 2023-2024 but I will temper my expectations somewhat until there is clarity on what other schools have done and how we utilize those last two scholarships. We must also be cognitive of the challenge of developing chemistry in a relatively short period of time. I also think adapting to Ryan's scheme will require a higher Basketball IQ than we have become accustomed to. There is no doubt we have an assemblage of talent. If we can get the pieces working together and guys make a jump in the offseason we could be quite formidable. The overseas trip will do wonders because you also get I believe an extra 10-days of practice.
Super timing for a road trip year, could not be better.
I hesitate to guess how good we can be while we still have 2-3 openings to fill and the rest of the conference is not done yet, but there is nothing going on that changes my mind on our crazy good potential this year. Great to be excited about OOC again.
Kinda hope the A10 is stronger so we can get back to where we used to be ranked. I vastly prefer multiple tournament teams.

https://richmond.com/sports/college...cle_64c1d72c-f2c1-11ed-9067-fb6a1db6fa29.html

Belle detailed aspects of his basketball beginnings last year in an interview with European recruiting service Eurospects.

Belle told Eurospects that he started playing basketball around 13 years old. He grew up on football (soccer) and played rugby and tennis, and had never touched a basketball before attending an after-school hoops club.

"I decided to go to one after-school basketball club, and from there I just loved basketball," Belle said in the interview from June of last year.

Belle was at the time entering his third year with SIG Strasbourg. When asked why he initially decided to go play in Europe instead of in the United States, Belle said he was just 15 years old when he made the decision, and Strasbourg showed particular interest after a scout saw him play a tournament in Manchester, England.
"I just decided that the opportunity was too good not to take it, especially at that time," Belle said.
His transition to France was made difficult by the pandemic, Belle added, and he wasn't able to finish a full season at the U18 level. When he first got to the U21 level, he was playing four years above his age group.
"The first thing I felt was definitely the physicality of the game, and how quick-paced it was and how your decisions have to be as quick as possible," he said.

When asked to describe his game, Belle said it's evolved a great deal over the past few years. In the beginning, he was just a driver focused on using his size and athleticism to get to the rim.

"Going over to France, I was able to evolve my game around the IQ aspect and just the skills -- ball handling, shooting," he said.

also forcing Tobi to ride the bench so that he didn't want to follow Rhoades to psi was an assist lol
He didnt force Tobi to ride the bench. Tobi's game dictated he "ride the bench". Dont put that on Mike.

Tobi didnt have a place with Mike and staying with us was his best option.

Come on dude give it a break.

He didnt force Tobi to ride the bench. Tobi's game dictated he "ride the bench". Dont put that on Mike.

Tobi didnt have a place with Mike and staying with us was his best option.

Come on dude give it a break.
1. it’s the offseason what else am i supposed to talk about?
2. i very much disagree. fats got no minutes before he got hurt. ferm and tobi the same all season. it was objectively bad coaching to expect your freshman to develop without pt. he barely gave them minutes in garbage time.

1. it’s the offseason what else am i supposed to talk about?
2. i very much disagree. fats got no minutes before he got hurt. ferm and tobi the same all season. it was objectively bad coaching to expect your freshman to develop without pt. he barely gave them minutes in garbage time.
  • We won both the regular season and the tournament title with arguably the 3rd best assortment of talent/experience.
  • 4 of the top 8 players weren't playing on the team the year before and only 1 returner averaged double figures.
  • Our best and most important player was hurt early and the team look awful.
  • Many of our fans gave up on both our HC and our players.
  • Tobi, and Fats when on the floor looked like inexperienced freshmen when on the floor. (which they were)
  • Of the guys 9 that were in front of them 5 transferred to P5 programs (1 POY/DPY & All tournament another 3rd team A10 & All tournament, 2 graduated (one who was 3rd team all conference and All tournament in the preseason tournament),
  • The margin of error for a good portion of our wins was very slim, and for the few blowouts most came late in the game.

To say not playing Fats and Tobi more minutes last year was "bad coaching" is just flat out ridiculous. That statement demonstrates why all us fans have non-basketball day jobs.

Love Mike or not, he didnt have a lot of extra minutes to go around for development. Seriously how do you even form your fingers to type such foolishness?

The only mistake I see that was made was Fermin, Tobi, and Fats all should've been RS's. Luckily Fats was injured so badly that he had to sit out. ;)(wink/nod).

Look Mike isnt John Wooden or Hank Iba but the guy coached up those guys last year and made some tough decisions that led to success. Fwiw, Fats is better off having sat and not wasting the year of eligibity .

You angry because the guy left and blew up the team so be it. But your statement is both untrue and really wreaks of sour grapes.

Last edited:

1.jpg

ITW Michael Belle (Strasbourg):
"I consider myself lucky to be seen as a local player"
May 15, 2023

Arrived from London three years ago, Michael Belle (19 years old, 1m95) will obtain his status as a locally trained player at the end of the season. One of the strong men of the Espoirs de la SIG Strasbourg talks about his last adventure in France before flying to the United States.

After a season at the London Towers, you came directly to Strasbourg. What were the reasons for this arrival?

I arrived in Strasbourg when I was playing a tournament in Manchester. One of Comsport's agents was present to watch the tournament and the players. Many were there for Jérémy Sochan who was drafted this year in the NBA by the San Antonio Spurs. I was playing against him, I think I caught their attention. The agents saw Jeremy, they saw me too, my competitive side, I had a good game. They then got in touch with my coach in London. They said they had several of my matches. Afterwards, they met me, as well as my family and my coach.

“At home, there are great talents”
On the verge of obtaining JFL status, is the French championship the ideal place to become the player you want to be?

Honestly, I think with this JFL status, I would consider myself lucky to be seen as a local player. When I come back to play in France, or when I have to come back, I know it's an opportunity to improve and help the team. I consider this as an option, and I am sure that with this option in the future, I can explore others. For example, the opportunity to play in the United States. At the end of the season, I leave Strasbourg to go to an American university. It's an opportunity to compete against the best young people in the world, to play at another level. It's an opportunity to see it with my own eyes, and also to see what I'm capable of playing at such a high level.

Britain is not famous for being a basketball country. Do you think you can help change this image?

Yes 100%. Me and other young people in the country are trying to make this country even bigger when it comes to basketball. Having played in other countries, I think British basketball has nothing to be ashamed of. The opportunity has come to try to put this sport on par with another like football in Britain. With us, there are great talents, and we see it even more today. I am one of them but there are others too, who are my age, who have played in London. Some of us have played in other European countries, at university.

“The Pro B was an option”
We have seen a few entries into play in the first team. Were there certainties to have playing time with the pros or did you know it would be more difficult?
Obviously, this season it was difficult to have certainties, especially for me. In the third part of the season, I was not very present with the first team. I didn't really train with the GIS. When I came back to train, I was placed in the rotation. There were injuries, so it was an opportunity for me to gain playing time. I felt like in the end, I wouldn't keep that game time, that experience, or the extra time to improve my game if I stayed. I told myself that I would have more minutes in Pro B, in an American university or elsewhere.

Why didn't you choose the Pro B?

The Pro B was an option. We discussed it for a long time with my agent and my family. We thought that the opportunity to play in the United States, at another level, everyone would have seized it. I can always come back to France even if everything goes well or things go differently. I told myself that I had so many opportunities for the future that I didn't want to pass up my chance, and I didn't feel like I was missing out on making my choice.
2.jpg

On Twitter, CBB Europe, a page relaying information on young European players, suggested that a departure for the NCAA is possible. Has there always been a real desire to try the experience there?

During the year 2022, I was able to play against Bronny James. It was in August, last summer. During this game, I got a lot of attention. There are universities who already wanted to see me, who came on this occasion. I already had some opportunities, this was the exposure I needed. The third option was to go to Pro B. I had no exposure, no contact with American coaches at that time. After that game, that changed, and I felt like I was opening my eyes to this really becoming a possibility.
3.jpg

What goals have you set for yourself following this move to the United States?

Beyond the collective goals that the coach has set for us, I would like to become one of the best in the world. Being able to go to the NBA or the EuroLeague, I don't close any doors. I will follow the programs, the trainings, hoping that these people can help me improve my game, and reach the potential that I know I have. If I win the conference championship, or March Madness, that could get me drafted in the next three years.

This instance was addition by subtraction is the best sort of way.
Have not been this energized over a new season since Kendrick Warren signed on.
Odom is just killing it.
Wow, that's quite a statement.

This is a good get for Odom. This is good for the team and the program. All the British players we've had were good students and high character guys.

However, dont expect his to take the team by storm as a freshman. As he stated, he was playing with the big team primarily because of injuries and had he felt he would have stuck he would have stayed. He nor his family and agent thought he could.,

" I was placed in the rotation. There were injuries, so it was an opportunity for me to gain playing time. I felt like in the end, I wouldn't keep that game time, that experience, or the extra time to improve my game if I stayed. I told myself that I would have more minutes in Pro B, in an American university or elsewhere."

So while he has had an experience he isnt quite at that level. However, the physical attributes are there and as he has been away from home plus with Tobi here there shouldnt be a huge adjustment to the US,

He has room to grow and if he can team up with Tobi as gym rats they both my be huge for VCU.

However, dont expect his to take the team by storm as a freshman. As he stated, he was playing with the big team primarily because of injuries and had he felt he would have stuck he would have stayed. He nor his family and agent thought he could.,
By storm? No ... probably not right away. However, my assumption is that he will be at least a bit more game-ready than most incoming freshmen who played high school or even prep ball the year before. He's been playing at a fairly high level against older kids for his entire career. He's probably a bit more battle-tested. It's almost like getting a transfer who tore up a lower league like the Patriot or MEAC, except he's got four years of eligibility.

I would expect Belle to slide into a Treveon Graham-Jamir Watkins-Brad Burgess role right away. 6’6”-ish. Versatile. College-ready frame. Turns 20 early in season (effectively a soph). Can toggle between a 3 and 4. Centerpiece. Leader. Starter. Double-digit scorer.

Back