More Details on Daniels Recruitment

Mistachill

Elite Member
Very interesting article: http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/203786

Daniels, the Timesland player of the year, said Wednesday he has chosen VCU over an offer from Marshall, capping a whirlwind recruiting push by new Rams coach Shaka Smart and his first-year staff.
“They didn’t say they wanted me, they said they needed me,” Daniels said. “No other school told me that. It’s a good situation. They need a 'two-guard.’ I think I’ll be able to make a big impact my freshman year.”
Smart, a former Florida assistant, replaced Anthony Grant as VCU’s head coach after Grant left in late March to become the head coach at Alabama.

“They didn’t think they were going to be in the ballgame with Troy,” Fleming coach Mickey Hardy said. “They came in late, but once they did, they put on a full-court press.”

Daniels recanted a statement he made two weeks ago that he had been offered a scholarship by Big East Conference power Georgetown. He said a number of other schools, such as Marquette, dropped him off their recruiting radar as the season elapsed.

“I got to talk to an assistant coach for the Celtics and he told me: 'It doesn’t matter where you go, it’s what you do with where you are,’” Daniels said. “I’d rather be a big fish in a small pond instead of a little fish in a big pond.”

Mistachill said:
“I got to talk to an assistant coach for the Celtics and he told me: 'It doesn’t matter where you go, it’s what you do with where you are,’” Daniels said. “I’d rather be a big fish in a small pond instead of a little fish in a big pond.”

Good head on this kid. Smart thinking. Means he can see, and hear, the bigger picture. Shoot, just ask Eric Maynor.

MarcusNation said:
Mistachill said:

Good head on this kid. Smart thinking. Means he can see, and hear, the bigger picture. Shoot, just ask Eric Maynor.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the assistant coach is Kevin Eastman. Just a hunch. Great article by the way. Bill Courtney is the man.

He said Virginia Tech was one of many schools that wanted him to spend a year in prep school with the possibility of recruiting him in 2010.

Usually a good omen. Didn't Greenberg screw up with Steph Curry asking him to walk-on?

Mistachill said:
He said Virginia Tech was one of many schools that wanted him to spend a year in prep school with the possibility of recruiting him in 2010.

Usually a good omen. Didn't Greenberg screw up with Steph Curry asking him to walk-on?

Yes. Yes he did. 8-)

Glad I was wrong on my "we are done recruiting" comment. I thought no way in heck do we land this guy. But it does make we wonder...if we "need a 2" then what are the plans for Nixon, Gavin, and Rozzell? I thought we were loaded at the 2. Theus is pegged for the point and I guess Rozzell will be used there as well.

Perhaps "needing a 2 guard" translated really means "we need another shooter." Other than Gavin, Rozzell isn't a pure shooter and at this point is pretty erratic. Nixon hasn't shown the ability or confidence to be a consistent perimeter threat. JRod is suppose to be leaving. Gwynn is not a shooter. Doesn't sound like Theus is known for his shooting.

So I think the comment is code for needing another guard who can shoot.

I am still busy getting my size 12 foot out of my mouth...but I think you are right.

Mistachill said:
Perhaps "needing a 2 guard" translated really means "we need another shooter." Other than Gavin, Rozzell isn't a pure shooter and at this point is pretty erratic. Nixon hasn't shown the ability or confidence to be a consistent perimeter threat. JRod is suppose to be leaving. Gwynn is not a shooter. Doesn't sound like Theus is known for his shooting.

Why does everyone keep forgetting about Burgess? Last time I checked he was a great 3-point shooter. Agree with your thoughts on Brandon, Nixon, and Gwynn though.

Gavin, Burgess, and Daniels are all GREAT 3 point shooters.

Nixon thought he was Jesus Shuttlesworth at one point in the season. But his role isn't going to be a shooter if he wants be a contributor to the team it will have to be as the slasher mid range kind of guy. But to be that he needs to work on his Free Throw shooting( I can't remember him shooting any) so not sure if he is good or bad at it.

I guess I have Burgess in my mind as a SF more than a 2 guard.

districtballer said:
Mistachill said:

Why does everyone keep forgetting about Burgess? Last time I checked he was a great 3-point shooter. Agree with your thoughts on Brandon, Nixon, and Gwynn though.

Not knocking the kid, but I really don't understand the need to add another SG at this point. Gavin (who is, according to DB, the best shooter in the program) has three years of eligibility, Rozzell and Nixon two apiece. With Burgess set to take most of the minutes at the SF for the next 3 years, doesn't seem to be much PT available at either of those positions (barring injury) in the near future.

I would've preferred to hold onto the scholarship for next year, give the staff a chance to see what happens with Larry and the NBA, and go after a big man (or two, if necessary) in the 2010 class. With Kirill graduating, if Larry leaves early to chase the bucks, we're going to be ridiculously thin in the paint and overloaded at the perimeter positions.

Oh, and by the way, curious that Daniels was not offered by Georgetown as he originally stated. Beating out Marshall, and not the Hoyas, takes a little luster off this one for me.

Mistachill said:
I guess I have Burgess in my mind as a SF more than a 2 guard.

districtballer said:
Mistachill said:

Sure I agree he is more of a 3 in our scheme, although I think he can certainly play the 2 guard position. That doesn't change the fact that he's one of our best 3 point shooters and it's not even close.

AG_fan said:
Not knocking the kid, but I really don't understand the need to add another SG at this point. Gavin (who is, according to DB, the best shooter in the program) has three years of eligibility, Rozzell and Nixon two apiece. With Burgess set to take most of the minutes at the SF for the next 3 years, doesn't seem to be much PT available at either of those positions (barring injury) in the near future.

I would've preferred to hold onto the scholarship for next year, give the staff a chance to see what happens with Larry and the NBA, and go after a big man (or two, if necessary) in the 2010 class. With Kirill graduating, if Larry leaves early to chase the bucks, we're going to be ridiculously thin in the paint and overloaded at the perimeter positions.

Oh, and by the way, curious that Daniels was not offered by Georgetown as he originally stated. Beating out Marshall, and not the Hoyas, takes a little luster off this one for me.

Daniels was offered by Marquette, Cincinnatti, and Gonzaga in September. Georgetown had filled up all their scholarship positions with the Vee Sanford signing but they were certainly recruiting him.

If Brad was playing in a major conference he probably would be playing the 2 guard. But since the CAA is a small mans league we have the luxury of being able to get away with playing him at the 3 spot.

Back