More Details on Daniels Recruitment

FYI, Kevin Eastman served briefly as the AD at R-MC several years back. Mike was there at the time. Nice of Eastman to help out VCU and Coach Rhoades...
His son Jake ended up at Bradley...i think he wanted to experience college away from home. Northeastern should have gone after him with Kevin in Boston most of the winter...

major ram said:
FYI, Kevin Eastman served briefly as the AD at R-MC several years back. Mike was there at the time. Nice of Eastman to help out VCU and Coach Rhoades...
His son Jake ended up at Bradley...i think he wanted to experience college away from home. Northeastern should have gone after him with Kevin in Boston most of the winter...

They already have a stud coming in in Alwayne Bigby. Should be pretty good at the CAA level. 6'4 guard with solid athleticism and a lockdown defender.

districtballer said:
Mistachill said:
Perhaps "needing a 2 guard" translated really means "we need another shooter." Other than Gavin, Rozzell isn't a pure shooter and at this point is pretty erratic. Nixon hasn't shown the ability or confidence to be a consistent perimeter threat. JRod is suppose to be leaving. Gwynn is not a shooter. Doesn't sound like Theus is known for his shooting.

So I think the comment is code for needing another guard who can shoot.

Why does everyone keep forgetting about Burgess? Last time I checked he was a great 3-point shooter. Agree with your thoughts on Brandon, Nixon, and Gwynn though.

Gavin, Burgess, and Daniels are all GREAT 3 point shooters.

Hopefully we will see sme 3's out of Skeen as well. We should have the guys to make our fair share, hopefully we will be able to defend the 3 as well and that could be a huge advantage for us next year.

It seems like people forget when talking about Joey that it was actually Bradford who lead the team and the league in 3 point % last year after coming on strong at the end. Joey was so far ahead at one point that I don't think any one went back and looked at the stat, but Bradford beat him by a couple of % points. Not a huge deal either way, they were both great, but lets give Bradford the credit that he deserves.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
districtballer said:
Mistachill said:
Perhaps "needing a 2 guard" translated really means "we need another shooter." Other than Gavin, Rozzell isn't a pure shooter and at this point is pretty erratic. Nixon hasn't shown the ability or confidence to be a consistent perimeter threat. JRod is suppose to be leaving. Gwynn is not a shooter. Doesn't sound like Theus is known for his shooting.

So I think the comment is code for needing another guard who can shoot.

Why does everyone keep forgetting about Burgess? Last time I checked he was a great 3-point shooter. Agree with your thoughts on Brandon, Nixon, and Gwynn though.

Gavin, Burgess, and Daniels are all GREAT 3 point shooters.

Hopefully we will see sme 3's out of Skeen as well. We should have the guys to make our fair share, hopefully we will be able to defend the 3 as well and that could be a huge advantage for us next year.

It seems like people forget when talking about Joey that it was actually Bradford who lead the team and the league in 3 point % last year after coming on strong at the end. Joey was so far ahead at one point that I don't think any one went back and looked at the stat, but Bradford beat him by a couple of % points. Not a huge deal either way, they were both great, but lets give Bradford the credit that he deserves.

Right and I forgot about Skeen. :shock:

Skeen is like a 2 guard trapped in a 6'8 250 pound body. He's trying to actually slim down a lot more now so he can run in our full court system. He can definitely stroke it from the outside as well as take it inside. The thing with him is that he has known to be a ball hog at times. He's working on that now. He's got to play within our offense and not be a black hole like Dane Johnson was for Hofstra. Once the ball went into the post to him, it would not come back out.

So, I keep seeing everyone refer to Nixon as a 2 guard and it is true he plays there at times, but he ran the baseline some last year too and other than Bradford he is the closest thing we have to a swingman. His ability to elevate, defend and rebound make him well suited for that position IMO. He is a super athlete as well. Now his shooting is not great, but he has shown flashes. IMO he could be the most improved with some strength development and enough work on his longer shots to hit 5%-10% more of them.

Brad needs a backup at the 3 spot and I predict that it will be Nixon getting those 12-15 minutes per game. If that's the case, NOW let's look at the 2 guard spot:

- Gavin
- Rozzell (who could be helping at the point)

So we needed Troy (who incidentally looks like he could play the swingman position as well) - - and we now have a lot of flexibility at the 2-3 spot.

Given our supposed style of play, the development and athleticism of Saintil (did TV6 ever retract their news on him?) and the arrival of Skeen, I think the guy who will struggle for PT consistently is Kirill. Can't believe we haven't talked much about his putlook next season. His best bet to play next year is strangely enough to bulk up by another 10-15 pounds, get to 6-8 260 or so and be a bruising alternative in games where the running attack is not working well and we need to slow it down.

From a versatility, shooting and athleticism standpoint it looks like we will have no equal next year in the CAA - - if the PG thing works out at all we could have a BCS killer on Broad St. next season.

Not sure who was claiming Ed was a two last season. Ed (for the most part) was Brad's backup last season at the three.

Brandon pretty much backed up J-Rod at the 2.

J-Rod moved over to the one when Eric sat. Periodically Brandon handled the PG duties. Very infrequently though.

Depth chart right now (IMO):
PG - Theus, Rozzell
SG - Gavin, Rozzell, Daniels
SF - Burgess, Nixon, Ndongo
PF - Skeen, Saintil, Gwynn
C - Sanders, Kirill

I am fully aware that many of these kids can (and perhaps will) play multiple positions.

MozingoWasFilthy said:
Not sure who was claiming Ed was a two last season. Ed (for the most part) was Brad's backup last season at the three.

Brandon pretty much backed up J-Rod at the 2.

J-Rod moved over to the one when Eric sat. Periodically Brandon handled the PG duties. Very infrequently though.

Depth chart right now (IMO):
PG - Theus, Rozzell
SG - Gavin, Rozzell, Daniels
SF - Burgess, Nixon, Ndongo
PF - Skeen, Saintil, Gwynn
C - Sanders, Kirill

I am fully aware that many of these kids can (and perhaps will) play multiple positions.

I agree with this depth chart. I do think that Gwynn will be higher up on the depth chart though. On a young team he will be asked to be a leader on the court. There was a noticeable difference in our level of play with, and without Gwynn this past season.

Good thing about T.J. is that he can play more than one position. I remember him being able to hold his own against big men like Vlad Kujuan and guards aswell

Back